Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbound5 View Post
ok, good to know! We work from home, so commuting won't be an issue.
Besides Timacuan, what neighborhoods should we keep our eye on in Lake Mary?
Heathrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,159 times
If you child is going to attend UCF I would look at a home/school that is not such a long commute for him. At least, keep him off I-4.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,548 times
I live in the Clermont area. The high schools are a mixed bag. (State rating grades from last year aren't available yet either) Things were pretty bleak at the two schools (violence and over-crowding) but we just opened a new high school last year. Our district has 2,300 homeless students and almost 60% are on free or reduced lunch. Families are hurting in Central Florida since you left. You'll notice boarded up buildings and out of business stores and restaurants.

Keep in mind that Lake County Schools has been talking about going to a 4-day school week b/c the budget is a mess. Seminole isn't any better. ($20 million deficit and talking teacher layoffs and closing elementary schools)

I have no experience with it, but we also have the Florida Virtual School so check that out if it would work for your family.

If you think retirees are taking over Lake Mary, you sure don't want to be here in Clermont! LOL However, we desperately need them and their pension money, so we better be nice to them.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 AM

29 posts, read 38,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I live in the Clermont area. The high schools are a mixed bag. (State rating grades from last year aren't available yet either) Things were pretty bleak at the two schools (violence and over-crowding) but we just opened a new high school last year. Our district has 2,300 homeless students and almost 60% are on free or reduced lunch. Families are hurting in Central Florida since you left. You'll notice boarded up buildings and out of business stores and restaurants.

Keep in mind that Lake County Schools has been talking about going to a 4-day school week b/c the budget is a mess. Seminole isn't any better. ($20 million deficit and talking teacher layoffs and closing elementary schools)

I have no experience with it, but we also have the Florida Virtual School so check that out if it would work for your family.

If you think retirees are taking over Lake Mary, you sure don't want to be here in Clermont! LOL However, we desperately need them and their pension money, so we better be nice to them.
Thank you for your input! We took a drive there last week and saw many restaurants and businesses closed..it left me quite sad- it's not the FL I remember. We briefly considered Clermont as well, as I always found it a pretty area with all the hills, but I did hear the High School was in bad shape. What is the name of the new high school over there and do you know if it has good ratings from parents? Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 AM

29 posts, read 38,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree, I live here too. There are very few retirees here. Lake Mary Schools are excellent. Both of my kids have gone there.

Lake Mary and neighboring Sanford has lots to do for kids and adults alike. I definitely call it a place to work, live and play. It's in your price range and you can get what you are looking for. It is very safe as well. I would definitely keep it at the top of your list.
Thank you, Beckycat! We were thinking of Timacuan, but that subdivision does not go to Lake Mary HS, so here we are back to the drawing board. I am not a huge fan of Heathrow, but have heard great things about Lake Mary Reserve. Can you tell me about that area? You may or may not know the answer to this, but where do the majority of families with older children (teens) live? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Thank you, Beckycat! We were thinking of Timacuan, but that subdivision does not go to Lake Mary HS, so here we are back to the drawing board. I am not a huge fan of Heathrow, but have heard great things about Lake Mary Reserve. Can you tell me about that area? You may or may not know the answer to this, but where do the majority of families with older children (teens) live? Thanks for your help!
I live within walking distance of Lake Mary Reserve. It's a great area for kids as it's next to the the Lake Mary Sports Complex which offers Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Tennis and a Skatepark. There isn't really a neighborhood with a concentration of teens in Lake Mary though I can say I haven't seen many young children in that neighborhood and the homes are too large for singles or couples... so perhaps. The average price in Lake Mary Reserve is a bit high for young families starting out so it would stand to reason there might be many more older kids.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I agree with you on Timacuan. Although, it is a very nice SD, it's not zoned for Lake Mary Schools. There are several SD on Lake Emma RD that you may take a look at. One that comes to mind is Huntington Pointe. There are also a couple newer ones there but I can't think of the name of them off the top of my head. You can also check Markham Woods road from EE Willaimson to Lake Mary Blvd. There are some nice SD there that are zoned for Lake Mary High. What are you looking for in a subdivision?

You can also look in Sable Point in Longwood off Wekiva Springs Rd. Although it's not Lake Mary High, it's zoned for Lake Brantley High which is another good school.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 PM

56 posts, read 168,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree with you on Timacuan. Although, it is a very nice SD, it's not zoned for Lake Mary Schools. There are several SD on Lake Emma RD that you may take a look at. One that comes to mind is Huntington Pointe. There are also a couple newer ones there but I can't think of the name of them off the top of my head. You can also check Markham Woods road from EE Willaimson to Lake Mary Blvd. There are some nice SD there that are zoned for Lake Mary High. What are you looking for in a subdivision?

You can also look in Sable Point in Longwood off Wekiva Springs Rd. Although it's not Lake Mary High, it's zoned for Lake Brantley High which is another good school.
Sabal Point is not zoned for Lake Brantley High. It was rezoned for Lyman High a few years ago. Also, for the OP, Reserve at Lake Mary is not zoned for Lake Mary High either. It is zoned for Seminole High, same as Timacuan.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativefla View Post
Sabal Point is not zoned for Lake Brantley High. It was rezoned for Lyman High a few years ago. Also, for the OP, Reserve at Lake Mary is not zoned for Lake Mary High either. It is zoned for Seminole High, same as Timacuan.
Oh, I didn't know Sabal Point was rezoned. Thanks for the update.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 AM

21 posts, read 47,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativefla View Post
Is Regal Pointe Apartments zoned for Lake mary high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando