Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post

but i want to get into the coca-cola company and maybe deliver for them because the pay is good and they have insurance and benifits but thats a long road and i need to study for the CDL liscence and learn how to drive one of those trucks first....i doubt i can take out a loan for it since i owe DeVry 40k in loans.......
I used to work for Coca-Cola in Naugatuck Connecticut (about 6 years ago), and I was a merchandiser. It started out at $12.50/hour and after 90 days went up to $14.27/hour. Plus the benefits were fantastic (Teamsters Union). You don't need a CDL for this position. You basically go from store to store re-stocking all of the product on the shelves from the back room (where the driver drops off the shipment). You also have to set up displays from time to time.

Another position that you might check on is in the warehouse. Basically riding a forklift all day.

I don't know what Coke pays down here, or even if it is a union job, but I can say that a lot of my wife's family works for Coke in Connecticut and my one brother in-law who is a driver made close to $80,000 last year (includes overtime).

Last edited by markhunt; 09-07-2007 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:59 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,584 times
Being that this is a "right to work" state, I don't think they have any "closed union shop" jobs here in Florida, although I could be wrong. I was told that is one of the reasons pay is so low down here, because the unions don't have the same power they do up north,

Old 09-08-2007, 03:11 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,850 times
Thanks everybody for the advice......and for your stories about your experiences

Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 PM

52 posts, read 103,329 times
I feel just as bitter. I was in a hit-and-run on 436; a drunk driver ran a red light and broad-sided me. By the time my airbags deflated and I got out of the car, the other guy was no where to be found.

It was my first accident too so I didn't know if I needed to call a tow truck so I asked the officer who arrived and he said, "Would you leave me alone and let me do my job?" Excuse me for being almost killed...

I guess that must have made him upset because he never showed to the pretrial which means the guy who hit me got off scott-free; didn't lose his license, no jail time... nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Thank you guys for the advice.....i just here stories like what Backtofl says about the traffic and what other people say and things that i see and it makes me think that there are no rules in Orlando when driving until someone sees a cop....unless you see a cop around it seems people do what they want.......i was at work tonight delivering pizzas and saw 2 incodents where people thought it was ok to make a U-Turn at a red light.......i keep saying where is the fu>?#$%!!! cops when u need them?........

some might say they have more work than we know of and i can see your point but my father worked as a cop so i know how it is in that aspect....i heard the stories as a kid.......but really in my experience out here the cops are stoping the wrong people.....they always get you if you are 3 miles over the limit or if you have a busted light......they never are never around in serious situations as far as traffic until there is a body going into an ambulance on a strecher.....and i am sure that lots of people report things they see to the dispatcher if someone is driving wrecklessly out there but i bet those dispatchers are told that any complaints like that arent important and to just brush them off and that is what happened to me a couple weeks ago too when i tryed to report something.......

The traffic lights were out again at that intersection by Downtown Disney and people were 3 lanes deep on 4 sides and everyone was going when they wanted and i called the cops to let them know because it had been an hour since the lights stopped working and no one was directing traffic.....well the dispatcher acted like..."yeah, yeah....sure ....ill tell them about it"......he didnt care so i called back and a girl answered and i got the same response

I am just fed up because i have been in a hit-n-run and the cops didn't help.....i still have damages that i cant afford to fix......and another time i was run of the road and slamed into the guard rail and spun around about 3 times....i could have been killed in that one....and the cops were nowhere to help me....so for me i just snap out there and already have in my mind that there will be no help and that i could already be dead by the way people drive recklessly around me.....thats why i don't care if there is a gun....

u guys are right but really to tell u the truth i have no one to live 4 here but my mother....i have no outside family that i know that i can really talk to and my brother is stuck in another state kinda living homeless at least thats the last i heard... and he never calls......so i guess i just dont care and i get enraged at people who think being behind the wheel of a car gives them the right to intimidate or injure others because they want to break the rules for thier own needs.......

Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin1229 View Post
I feel just as bitter. I was in a hit-and-run on 436; a drunk driver ran a red light and broad-sided me. By the time my airbags deflated and I got out of the car, the other guy was no where to be found.

It was my first accident too so I didn't know if I needed to call a tow truck so I asked the officer who arrived and he said, "Would you leave me alone and let me do my job?" Excuse me for being almost killed...

I guess that must have made him upset because he never showed to the pretrial which means the guy who hit me got off scott-free; didn't lose his license, no jail time... nothing.

Im really sorry to hear that ......it must be really frustrating for you ......I feel you though......If you've never been in the situation we have been in then you can't say how you would feel anytime you think someone is getting to close or wreckless when they are driving around you/your family.......Sorry again to hear this......Did you have any serious injuries? and Do you find yourself thinking in a different way on the roads since then?

I just ask these questions so that people can understand the issues in the minds of victims when it pertains to traffic problems and driving situations...thank you

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 09-08-2007 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando