Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:33 PM

129 posts, read 446,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Umm, Orlando's population is around 240,000 and the entire county just went over 1,000,000.....that's not very big by metro area standrards.
I disagree. There are only four other counties in Florida with a population of over a million. Considering there are 67 counties in the state, if Orange is one of 5 with a population of over a million, it would fall into the "big" category. I certainly wouldn't consider top 5 to be medium or small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 AM

995 posts, read 1,685,027 times
Quote:
The point I'm making is when people relocate from elsewhere they don't know school districts from squat. Having county scores could help narrow one's search. In terms of saying there are plenty of "C" schools in Seminole County, not to so much. Perhaps you failed to grasp the concept that the overall score was an average against all of the schools in the county therefore plenty of "C"s would not equal an overall grade of "A".
Again, average scores do not matter. You will not benefit from an average county rating if you live in a crappy school district within that county. Vice versa with a good school district within a poorly rated county.

Take Home Message: DO NOT LOOK AT THE COUNTY SCORE, LOOK AT THE PARTICULAR RATING FOR THE SCHOOL THAT YOUR CHILD WOULD ATTEND.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,810,962 times
I'd take the Winter Park district over any in Central FL...including Brevard County.

This has a nice rating guide for the schools:

Central Florida (FL) | America's Education Guide

Old 01-24-2012, 07:20 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Again, average scores do not matter. You will not benefit from an average county rating if you live in a crappy school district within that county. Vice versa with a good school district within a poorly rated county.

Take Home Message: DO NOT LOOK AT THE COUNTY SCORE, LOOK AT THE PARTICULAR RATING FOR THE SCHOOL THAT YOUR CHILD WOULD ATTEND.
You're not getting the point....when people move to the area they don't know where they'll be living right off the bat typically so one is unable to ascertain which exact school their children would be attending. The ratings are a tool one can use to help narrow where one might want to live. One can see Seminole County is "A" rated so one could then begin to look at the various schools in Seminole County to determine which would be the best fit, bearing in mind they're not all "A" rated. The same could be said for Orange County's "B" ranking. One could determine where the better schools are since clearly the score is an AVERAGE. I realized since the results aren't favorable for the Pro-Orlando faction the methodology would be picked apart but it is what is.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
You're not getting the point....when people move to the area they don't know where they'll be living right off the bat typically so one is unable to ascertain which exact school their children would be attending. The ratings are a tool one can use to help narrow where one might want to live. One can see Seminole County is "A" rated so one could then begin to look at the various schools in Seminole County to determine which would be the best fit, bearing in mind they're not all "A" rated. The same could be said for Orange County's "B" ranking. One could determine where the better schools are since clearly the score is an AVERAGE. I realized since the results aren't favorable for the Pro-Orlando faction the methodology would be picked apart but it is what is.
Reason eludes you. Thankfully I send my kids to private school because even an "A rated" Florida school sucks by any reasonable standards. Have fun in Sanford. It's great to be the 1%.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Reason eludes you. Thankfully I send my kids to private school because even an "A rated" Florida school sucks by any reasonable standards. Have fun in Sanford. It's great to be the 1%.
Wow, bitter much? It appears you're deflecting personality trait as you seem incapable of reason and probably are used to getting everything your way (very 1% like). You may be in the 1% economically but you read kind of sad/unhappy which doesn't seem worth the trade off to me. I am having fun in Sanford and am thankful for my happy middle class existence.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Wow, bitter much? It appears you're deflecting personality trait as you seem incapable of reason and probably are used to getting everything your way (very 1% like). You may be in the 1% economically but you read kind of sad/unhappy which doesn't seem worth the trade off to me. I am having fun in Sanford and am thankful for my happy middle class existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando