Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 PM

21 posts, read 47,529 times

Advertisements

Hello I am moving to Lake Mary with my 13yr old son who will be entering the 8th grade, I plan to move June 25, 2012. I looked at Regal Pointe Apartments, I like the way they look inside and out. I also like the fact that I can walk to a lot of places if my car should act up. I work from home, so I can move anywhere, but I do need a good school system. I have a brother in Orlando who said move to Seminole Cnty and another one in Altamonte Springs, he just relocated from Texas so can't really tell me about the area.

I hear Lake Mary is a safe area and I have visited and do like the feel of if. But I need to know how safe it is in the apartment complex, I have read on apartmentratings.com some bad and good, not too much recent and I really need to know from some locals. How is it there?

Is Lake Mary High School for the rich, is it a snobbish feel to it?

Is Lake Mary diversified, I like to live around different people, I like variety.

Thanks to anyone that responds!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Lake Mary is a great suggestion. Altamonte Springs has some AWESOME areas, though unless you are willing to live across the lake from the mall aren't as nice as Regal Pointe Apartments. Regal Pointe Apartments are very well located, but something tells me to tell you it's not for you. I don't have any empirical reason, just a sense. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrien12 View Post
Hello I am moving to Lake Mary with my 13yr old son who will be entering the 8th grade, I plan to move June 25, 2012. I looked at Regal Pointe Apartments, I like the way they look inside and out. I also like the fact that I can walk to a lot of places if my car should act up. I work from home, so I can move anywhere, but I do need a good school system. I have a brother in Orlando who said move to Seminole Cnty and another one in Altamonte Springs, he just relocated from Texas so can't really tell me about the area.

I hear Lake Mary is a safe area and I have visited and do like the feel of if. But I need to know how safe it is in the apartment complex, I have read on apartmentratings.com some bad and good, not too much recent and I really need to know from some locals. How is it there?

Is Lake Mary High School for the rich, is it a snobbish feel to it?

Is Lake Mary diversified, I like to live around different people, I like variety.

Thanks to anyone that responds!!!
I live in the Lake Mary area (west Sanford). The apartments you mention are in a good, safe area and it is walking distance from Publix, Target, TJ Maxx and umpteen restaurants ranging from sandwich shops to casual independent restaurants as well as a couple of nicer chains restaurants (Longhorn Steakhouse and Macaroni Grill). I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to negative reviews on apartment rating websites as anyone with an ax to grind (legitimate or not) is going to spout off there. Bear in mind Regal Pointe is an "affordable housing" complex which will come with some issues in terms of nuisances, however the tradeoff is a nice/safe neighborhood and an excellent high school. Lake Mary is not as diversified as many places but has become more so in recent years, particularly with the Hispanic and East Asian (Indian/Pakistani) communities. Lake Mary HS is not snobby in my opinion as the city while partly upper middle class is primarily solidly middle class. The area is somewhat transient with new people moving in all of the time so I don't feel your child while feel like he sticks out. Altamonte Springs while somewhat nice is much more congested than Lake Mary and in my opinion is not as safe. It's also for the most part not a place where one would want to try and cross streets as a pedestrian.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Good choice on Lake Mary The only thing with Regal Point is that they are income restricted apartments. Meaning you have to make between a certain income to live there. Also, sometimes that means that you have more riff raf. The apartments are still pretty safe. You might want to to try Pebble Creek next door. It's not income restricted and you can still walk to those places.

It is becoming more and more diverse in Lake Mary. The schools in Lake Mary are excellent. Yes, there are many rich kids there but there are still kids that are not. Kids tend to make friends with other kids similar to their situation. Do you get what I mean?

All in all, I'd definitely stick to Lake Mary or even Longwood.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Default Regal Pointe Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Lake Mary is a great suggestion. Altamonte Springs has some AWESOME areas, though unless you are willing to live across the lake from the mall aren't as nice as Regal Pointe Apartments. Regal Pointe Apartments are very well located, but something tells me to tell you it's not for you. I don't have any empirical reason, just a sense. I hope I'm wrong.
I toured Regal Pointe in 2010 and was going to move there in 2011, however my plans were delayed. I loved the apt and the area, how I can walk to a lot of places if my car acted up.

I am looking to move again this year and am considering RP again, the only thing that nags me about that place is the dining/bonus room, I want to use as computer room but then there's no dining area, the portion by the kitchen just doesn't look right to me. However it was the nicest and best located one in my budget so I will make it work.

I assume from your reply that it is very safe, I heard someone say it was the ghetto of Lake Mary, is that true?

Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am excited again and glad I am making a good choice. Now I just have to get there.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrien12 View Post
I heard someone say it was the ghetto of Lake Mary, is that true?
That might be true, but there are worse places I know of. Like I said, I don't have anything factual to bring about RP, just a hunch..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando