Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,477 times

Advertisements

Yes, its more quite less automobile congestion and great weather less humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM

399 posts, read 719,284 times
I was just in JAX this past weekend. Just for a day. Felt like a quiet little town.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
North Florida is best, try Tallahassee.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM

20 posts, read 76,456 times
Stick to the Panhandle, or the Gulf Coast. Much more pro-social.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I've been to Jacksonville many times and IMHO, most points north of Daytona Beach are a big snooze to me

According to Wikipedia, the Tampa-St Pete metro area has 2.7 Million residents, compared to Orlando's 2.1 million, compared to Jacksonville's meager 1.3 million residents. In terms of population, Orlando is definitely more on par with Tampa-St Pete

Kyle, bigger population doesn't always mean a better more exciting place to be.

Example. Jacksonville has a population of 821,000 people roughly. Orlando is pushing 240,000. All there is to do in Jacksonville is go to the beach and go to St Augustine, what else? Get shot and killed on the northside? Get eaten by a gator in the St Johns River?

Orlando has the theme parks, an awesome nightclub scene, the beach is 45 mins away, much more culture than Jacksonville, a more winning sports team (even if it is a different sport, when have the Jags ever been any good?) a much more diverse population, and a HELL of a lot more going for it. Orlando was also the fastest growing major city in Florida from 2010, it was also the fastest growing metro area in Florida

Jacksonville proper definitely dwarfs Orlando proper's population, but Orlando is clearly the more exciting and better place to live
The only thing Orlando has over Jacksonville is theme parks, and if one has moved on into adulthood for the most part that's not a real advantage. Orlando has much more culture than Jacksonville? Read here and tell me where Orlando exceeds...
Art & Culture in Jacksonville - Entertainment & Events in Northeast Florida - Visit Jacksonville

Jacksonville has a similar nightlife scene (outside of amusement parks) and is on the coast with nice beaches versus an hour's drive.

In terms of being shot and killed on the northside of Jacksonville, that's rich since Orlando has a much more well-documented higher crime rate.

A more winning sports team? The Jacksonville Jags have a .500 record since they're inception in 1995, have been to the playoffs a half dozen times and were last "good" three years ago. Orlando's minor league sports are a snoozefest, face it. No one cares outside of the city limits, if that.

Regarding population growth, as you yourself stated..."bigger population doesn't always mean a better more exciting place to be". The cities that lead in population growth aren't typically considered prime due to that statistic alone.

As Orlando slides into what has made South Florida so unlivable for many (endless sprawl w/high crime and poverty, a massive influx of "English as a second language" residents, congestion and a higher cost of living) the Jacksonville area is going to seem a heck of lot more appealing. It already has for many...Orlando City-Data Forum homers not withstanding.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The only thing Orlando has over Jacksonville is theme parks, and if one has moved on into adulthood for the most part that's not a real advantage. Orlando has much more culture than Jacksonville? Read here and tell me where Orlando exceeds...
Art & Culture in Jacksonville - Entertainment & Events in Northeast Florida - Visit Jacksonville

Jacksonville has a similar nightlife scene (outside of amusement parks) and is on the coast with nice beaches versus an hour's drive.

In terms of being shot and killed on the northside of Jacksonville, that's rich since Orlando has a much more well-documented higher crime rate.

A more winning sports team? The Jacksonville Jags have a .500 record since they're inception in 1995, have been to the playoffs a half dozen times and were last "good" three years ago. Orlando's minor league sports are a snoozefest, face it. No one cares outside of the city limits, if that.

Regarding population growth, as you yourself stated..."bigger population doesn't always mean a better more exciting place to be". The cities that lead in population growth aren't typically considered prime due to that statistic alone.

As Orlando slides into what has made South Florida so unlivable for many (endless sprawl w/high crime and poverty, a massive influx of "English as a second language" residents, congestion and a higher cost of living) the Jacksonville area is going to seem a heck of lot more appealing. It already has for many...Orlando City-Data Forum homers not withstanding.
See I have a slightly different view of reality. First off, yes Orlando has better museums, theater groups, ballet, orchestra, etc. Just look at which city is building an incredible preforming arts center in the heart of their busteling CBD, that's right, not Jacksonville.

Now as for your view of minor leauge sports all I have to say is WTF?? Uh Orlando has had an NBA team for almost 25 years and is on the verge of getting a second major leauge sports team in the MLS. Yeah and the Jags, well I think we all know they're getting ready for a move. Sorry Jax but you're about to be the AAA sports town while Orlando keeps gaining pro-sports.

And you're right, bigger dosen't always mean better. I mean look at Jacksonville's city limits, some of the biggest out there. So I guess living in the city in metro Jax includes swamps and marshland 30 miles out along the St. John's.

Lastly, I had no clue exactly what made SFL so unlivable to you, but now I do. To me it's not the language barrier as I love to work on my Spanish proficiency, but it's the high cost of living, lack of theme parks, lack of good beaches with good waves, and lack of rural land to escape into just outside of the metro area.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Hello Everyone,

I would like opinions of those who may have lived in South Florida at some point in time and moved to Central Florida. Do you like it better? Do you think it's a better place to raise your family? Do you feel less stressed out? I currently live in South Florida and feel it is not the right place to raise my family.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Central Florida HANDS DOWN!!!!

Much to with Kids and all the Beaches are with in reach and are Mostly Family. I do recommend the Dr. Phillips Area to Live and Play.

Just a good environment for all!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
I love how this has turned into an Orlando versus Jacksonville thread instead of Orlando versus S Fl. The most amusing thing is people insisting that their town is right for everybody. Yeap, I think Orlando (well just north of it anyway) is the best town, but guess why? Because if fits MY NEEDS. If your needs are like mine, I highly suggest it. If they aren't; good luck I hope you find a great place that meets your needs, now quit shoving it down my throat!!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
See I have a slightly different view of reality. First off, yes Orlando has better museums, theater groups, ballet, orchestra, etc. Just look at which city is building an incredible preforming arts center in the heart of their busteling CBD, that's right, not Jacksonville.

Now as for your view of minor leauge sports all I have to say is WTF?? Uh Orlando has had an NBA team for almost 25 years and is on the verge of getting a second major leauge sports team in the MLS. Yeah and the Jags, well I think we all know they're getting ready for a move. Sorry Jax but you're about to be the AAA sports town while Orlando keeps gaining pro-sports.

And you're right, bigger dosen't always mean better. I mean look at Jacksonville's city limits, some of the biggest out there. So I guess living in the city in metro Jax includes swamps and marshland 30 miles out along the St. John's.

Lastly, I had no clue exactly what made SFL so unlivable to you, but now I do. To me it's not the language barrier as I love to work on my Spanish proficiency, but it's the high cost of living, lack of theme parks, lack of good beaches with good waves, and lack of rural land to escape into just outside of the metro area.
Orlando does not have better museums or cultural attractions than Jacksonville and it's apparent to anyone who isn't a big screaming Orlando cheerleader. The Orlando Magic are virtually a minor league team no one cares about along with the MLS, and the Jacksonville Jaguars aren't moving with a new long term lease, a new owner and attendance that ranks mid-pack in the NFL. Orlando clings to an image of a large metro area with a city population of 240K and you're knocking Jacksonville? LOL

Old 08-29-2013, 10:34 AM

492 posts, read 1,024,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

I could make a massive list, but instead I'll just use a similar link: Orlando Arts - Culture, History, Museums, Festivals - Official Orlando Vacation Information

Jacksonville is a shell of a city. It looks impressive from the interstate, but there's nothing there if you look closely. And Jax has more sprawl and more general nothingness than South Florida or Orlando. Just look at the population density, for starters. It is ridiculously low. That is what happens when a city consolidates with a county to look bigger on paper than it is in reality.

And while it is closer to the beach, try driving from downtown Jax to the water. It takes a good 30 minutes (and that is due to distance, not traffic. Longer in traffic). I can make it to New Smyrna from downtown Orlando in about 50. Not a big difference considering Jacksonville is supposed to be a coastal city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando