Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

There are good and bad in both areas. For a family, I'd suggest Central FL. Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Springs are all great areas, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 PM

123 posts, read 252,851 times
I just moved from S. FL to Orlando, because I hate S. FL (Plantation and Wellington). It's way too crowded, and people are rude. Over the past 4 years I've been coming to Orlando quite a bit and trying to see it as a resident rather than a tourist and I think it's much nicer. IMO S. FL is way too crowded and therefore expensive IMO. The quality of most restaurants and other services has gone down. Drivers are rude, and even cops rush in to block me from moving into their lane when they see my turn signal come on. So far, I don't think Orlando has the most competent drivers, but they're certainly not as rude. Orlando has its good and bad parts, and you can avoid the riff-raff. In S. FL, even people I know who live in million-dollar homes still have to deal with it when they go to the grocery etc. I'm still single, so cannot comment on family lifestyle issues, but I mentor high-school kids and have gotten to know some of them quite well. They tell me things that they won't tell their parents and I can say with certainty that I won't raise kids in S. FL. The only people I know who like their kids' schools are all paying for private school. I'll let others comment on how Orlando compares.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Great "family oriented areas"

-Hunter's Creek (where I currently live)
-Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park
-Dr Phillips/Bay Hill (if you can afford it)
-Winter Park
-Maitland
-Oviedo
-Longwood
-Winter Springs
-Lake Mary
-Lake Nona (if you prefer a more sub-rural lifestyle)
-College Park

I think that about nails it down

Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM

378 posts, read 829,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Hello Everyone,

I would like opinions of those who may have lived in South Florida at some point in time and moved to Central Florida. Do you like it better? Do you think it's a better place to raise your family? Do you feel less stressed out? I currently live in South Florida and feel it is not the right place to raise my family.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Then you must be on the wrong coast. Forbes Magazine just Named Miami as the most miserable city in the US, West Palm #3. I don't disagree. Moving to Orlando won't improve things much (it's a great place to visit). Look at South West Florida, Naples (must have $$$) north to Sarasota. If you like small friendly places look at Englewood or Venice. Want more art, culture, upscale see Sarasota.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
If you're raising kids and want to be near Orlando, I'd look at Harmony.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 PM

To the guy who wanted to move from Orlando to South Florida, Jupiter is not really South Florida.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
If you're raising kids and want to be near Orlando, I'd look at Harmony.
middle of nowhere subdivision

Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
middle of nowhere subdivision
Ever toured the place? Great concept for kids. Not so far from Orlando.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Ever toured the place? Great concept for kids. Not so far from Orlando.
35 mins if you're speeding. Possibly much farther than that to downtown.

I've driven on US192 multiple times. They finally built a gas station nearby, but for basic things like a fitness club/gym or even Publix, you're trekking to St Cloud

Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
35 mins if you're speeding. Possibly much farther than that to downtown.

I've driven on US192 multiple times. They finally built a gas station nearby, but for basic things like a fitness club/gym or even Publix, you're trekking to St Cloud
45 minutes to Downtown Orlando 38 miles one way according to google maps, thats if you follow 192 to the turnpike, then pick up I-4

I looked at Harmony and it is MUCH further out than I thought. I dont know who decided to build a community way out there. Harmony truly is an exurb of Orlando, its a 15 mile ride just to Saint Cloud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando