Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

Thats why I'm coming back to Orlando, I mis the greenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 22,009 times
Orlando is great for young people. As for as all the negatives that were posted that's only a matter of their opinion. There are high end companies coming to Orlando, so the comment or study that showed students leaving the area won't be accurate for long. Orlando's a growing city that's bouncing back from the recession better than anywhere else in the state.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic_T View Post
There are high end companies coming to Orlando, so the comment or study that showed students leaving the area won't be accurate for long. Orlando's a growing city that's bouncing back from the recession better than anywhere else in the state.
Actually that's two inaccuracies.

Could you spell out which high end companies are coming to Orlando and their estimated time of arrival? People who make a living out of studies on the topic regarding Orlando's brain drain remain at odds on how to stem the outflow and are currently working on initiatives to address the issue. Your insight could prove invaluable to them...

In terms of unemployment rates Ft Walton Beach/Destin is at 7.1%, Gainesville is at 7.7%, Tallahassee is at 7.9%, Jacksonville is at 9.2%, Orlando and Naples are at 9.5%, Miami/Ft Lauderdale is at 9.6% and Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater is at 10%. Jacksonville would win the prize thus far of major metros recovering fastest and Miami/Ft Lauderdale is arguably the "most recovered" in coming down to 9.6% after cresting at close to 12%. I would expect given the economic engines in place in South Florida that it will surpass the rest of the cities in the state by Summer.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Orlando is not a good choice for young people. The Daily Beast ranked Orlando #1 for the worse places for young people.

This city has poor wages. If you are a young professional, stay away from this city. Check out DC, Boston, or Austin. Heck, you should even look into Pittsburgh. If you want warm weather, there are other cities in the Sunbelt that will satisfy your tastes other than Orlando. Houston, Dallas, or even Atlanta are better choices.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Modis projected Orlando #3 for best cities for IT hiring in 2012. This article from this staffing firm has to be considered just as valid as those showing Orlando in a negative light. You simply cannot validate all negative articles while invalidating the positive ones.

Staffing firm ranks Orlando among best cities for IT hiring in 2012 – Blog-o-nomics – Orlando Sentinel

Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Modis projected Orlando #3 for best cities for IT hiring in 2012. This article from this staffing firm has to be considered just as valid as those showing Orlando in a negative light. You simply cannot validate all negative articles while invalidating the positive ones.

Staffing firm ranks Orlando among best cities for IT hiring in 2012 – Blog-o-nomics – Orlando Sentinel
How many people are qualified to work in IT though? lol

Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

This study was based solely on Modis job openings in the past 6 months. Modis has long been a major player in the Orlando consulting market and are based in Jax. So of course they will have more openings in Orlando & Jax than a San Francisco based staffing firm. I would have thought Atlanta would be on the list, but Modis must not be a major player there.

To do a proper study in this fashion, one would have to take the job openings from all IT staffing companies in the US, as well as openings filled directly by the hiring corporations.

Being in the IT profession myself, I could have given you all of the cities on the list with the exception of Orlando and Jax.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
For all the negatives about Orlando, I think it's a great place for young people. Nowhere on Earth can you visit Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, go to Cocoa Beach on the east coast or Clearwater/Tampa all within an hour or so drive. We've got some great golf courses and excellent weather except for summer. Much better than Miami if you ask me all around.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
For all the negatives about Orlando, I think it's a great place for young people. Nowhere on Earth can you visit Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, go to Cocoa Beach on the east coast or Clearwater/Tampa all within an hour or so drive. We've got some great golf courses and excellent weather except for summer. Much better than Miami if you ask me all around.
I'm speechless...nice post!!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm speechless...nice post!!
agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando