Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

It does because of the quantity of people who are coming... its NOt too far from Orlando center,and the pipes an street lights are in place, the folks will come n take them over and kick out the trash. some in NY think its a great affordable community compared to the NY or chicago are etc, some dont like the down town feel and yes those areas will be urban palaces. just a matter of time. we had 5 yrs of crap economy... it will turn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:21 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It does because of the quantity of people who are coming... its NOt too far from Orlando center,and the pipes an street lights are in place, the folks will come n take them over and kick out the trash. some in NY think its a great affordable community compared to the NY or chicago are etc, some dont like the down town feel and yes those areas will be urban palaces. just a matter of time. we had 5 yrs of crap economy... it will turn
The amount of people who come in doesn't make it the next big thing. Poinciana grew from 13,000 people in 2000 to 53,000 in 2010 and the area still isn't impressive. Also, compared to various areas in Orange and Seminole, it is far from a lot of things. It's even worse when there is one road in and one road out (but MAYBE that might change). Of course, people will go there because it's cheap. But it's cheap for a reason. There are other areas in CFL that have way more potential and are better candidates for becoming the next big thing. I would even say that St. Cloud is a better candidate compared to Poinciana.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM

could be,,, I am just saying ONE day-- not next high point of area. I am looking at St Cloud,,, I hate living where I have to drive 20 miles to get groceries, or a dress and hit local gym. but I will find my spot. I saw some 2/2 Villas that are my style of home. A little yard space, with privacy fence- community pool, drive up to door. that is MY dream home. and a palce where neighbors don't have a cow every time my grands come visit!!!, but budget is still an issue for 1 full yr. soo- for now, what I can get that's reasonable n safe -close to the airport.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
could be,,, I am just saying ONE day-- not next high point of area. I am looking at St Cloud,,, I hate living where I have to drive 20 miles to get groceries, or a dress and hit local gym. but I will find my spot. I saw some 2/2 Villas that are my style of home. A little yard space, with privacy fence- community pool, drive up to door. that is MY dream home. and a palce where neighbors don't have a cow every time my grands come visit!!!, but budget is still an issue for 1 full yr. soo- for now, what I can get that's reasonable n safe -close to the airport.
Well, I believe I just gave you a pretty good recommendation. St. Cloud is close to the airport and is close to the turnpike. Since you said your job might be east of the airport, you would be glad to know that Narcoossee road is right along St. Cloud and can give you a direct route to Lake Nona, the airport, and even the Greenway. It's not some exclusive area like Hunter's Creek, so I don't even think it's expensive.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 AM

Iv been looking, bout same but gas wise will I have to always be going else where to shop etc. ??I found my gym which I pay for, above hunters creek, that one reason picked that. I am a city gal and even though Clermont is beautiful (where kids live) I don't like that rural living. Also want to be close to them, one reason took this job,,, miss my pumpkins. I will drive about once I arrive and see whats do-able for 1 yr... next year,,, my finances will improve 110%- and can get my dream home.
On another note just read this in Tampa news this morn

quote---Properties such as Starkey Ranch, Mitchell Ranch, Bexley Ranch and Behnke Ranch are already approved for 14,000 new homes and more than 7 million square feet of offices and shopping centers. County Administrator Michele Baker displayed a poster with a pink bubble over each future development. “Those pink people are coming,” she said.
Gehring said some segments of the corridor would have to be 20 lanes wide to accommodate the future traffic needs. “If we don’t get a system where the interstate and the Suncoast and U.S. 19 have an east-west connection, the system will break down,” he said.

Pasco is the PITS on one side of it,,, so I think all the areas counties are also thinking future- the proof is in the pudding,,, people are moving to FLA.

Last edited by tinytrump; 01-26-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 09:09 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
I am going straight for Kissimmee, but will pick my areas, Polk county is your real problem
If you're comparing Polk county to Osceola county, you must be mistaken. As bad as the general perception most people may have about Polk County, it still runs circles around Osceola. Even the Polk side of Poinciana has better services & planning.

Misconception #1- Crime
Osceola Crime Rate - FLDE
Polk Crime Rate - FDLE

Misconception #2 - Everything else
Osceola County Profile - City-Data.com
Polk County Profile - City-Data.com

Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
The amount of people who come in doesn't make it the next big thing. Poinciana grew from 13,000 people in 2000 to 53,000 in 2010 and the area still isn't impressive. Also, compared to various areas in Orange and Seminole, it is far from a lot of things. It's even worse when there is one road in and one road out (but MAYBE that might change). Of course, people will go there because it's cheap. But it's cheap for a reason. There are other areas in CFL that have way more potential and are better candidates for becoming the next big thing. I would even say that St. Cloud is a better candidate compared to Poinciana.
The population explosion in Poinciana far outpaced the services in the area, roads in particular. Osceola & Polk Counties are now playing catch up.
Poinciana Parkway map. Should bring SOME relief if residents can wait another year or two.
Ground Broken on Poinciana Parkway | TheLedger.com

Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Iv been looking, bout same but gas wise will I have to always be going else where to shop etc. ??I found my gym which I pay for, above hunters creek, that one reason picked that. I am a city gal and even though Clermont is beautiful (where kids live) I don't like that rural living. Also want to be close to them, one reason took this job,,, miss my pumpkins. I will drive about once I arrive and see whats do-able for 1 yr... next year,,, my finances will improve 110%- and can get my dream home.
On another note just read this in Tampa news this morn

quote---Properties such as Starkey Ranch, Mitchell Ranch, Bexley Ranch and Behnke Ranch are already approved for 14,000 new homes and more than 7 million square feet of offices and shopping centers. County Administrator Michele Baker displayed a poster with a pink bubble over each future development. “Those pink people are coming,” she said.
Gehring said some segments of the corridor would have to be 20 lanes wide to accommodate the future traffic needs. “If we don’t get a system where the interstate and the Suncoast and U.S. 19 have an east-west connection, the system will break down,” he said.

Pasco is the PITS on one side of it,,, so I think all the areas counties are also thinking future- the proof is in the pudding,,, people are moving to FLA.
Well, since you say that you go to a gym by Hunter's Creek, there are a few areas between OBT and John Young that should be affordable and even closer to more places compared to St. Cloud. I believe a few areas are Southchase, the areas right off Central Florida Parkway, and Whisper Lakes. Those places aren't located in Hunter's Creek proper, so I don't think they'll be that expensive.

In regards to the article you quoted, that area is called Odessa and they already have built a few areas east of Suncoast Parkway. Odessa also has a good amount of roads leading in and out to different areas. It actually seems well connected to the metro. But some of the new developments just seem like typical sprawl which is similar to a few areas in NE Tampa. All it sounds like is "People are moving to Florida, let's build more!" and we all know that's nothing new (Florida's population has only been going up since the mid 1900s, so it's not a current trend.)

Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Why would ppl think less of Polk Co?

I'd rather live in Polk than Osceola any day!

Lakeland or Kissimme for example - no contest!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
If you're comparing Polk county to Osceola county, you must be mistaken. As bad as the general perception most people may have about Polk County, it still runs circles around Osceola. Even the Polk side of Poinciana has better services & planning.

Misconception #1- Crime
Osceola Crime Rate - FLDE
Polk Crime Rate - FDLE

Misconception #2 - Everything else
Osceola County Profile - City-Data.com
Polk County Profile - City-Data.com
There are some "types" of crime in Polk that seem to run like widlfire, and I am sure there are other types in Orlando area,,, as it is spilt up what 4 counties hard to compare. I expect the city to always have a certain type of crime...
I am a city gal, and do not like the rural areas,,, you have your pick, and I have mine. I guess I only know about what I work with and Polk has some issues I hope can be erradicated. Takes everybodys cooperation and eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando