Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,230 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Orlando area from Tallahassee, looking for suggestions for towns/communities. I am a sales representative that covers the entire state mostly larger cities: Jacksonville, Tampa, West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, etc.; so I do not have to live in the city to be near work. Our major focus is on good schools and proximity to roadways. Currently looking at Windermere area due to schools and the fact it is near the turnpike and I-4, but am open to any suggestions. Really like Lake Mary, but seems too hard to travel from going to South Florida. We are really trying to get more centralized to have more day trips, fewer overnights, and be home more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Windermere is a good choice. Also Lake Nona and Belle Isle/Conway. Both are good school districts near major highways.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagley View Post
We are moving to the Orlando area from Tallahassee, looking for suggestions for towns/communities. I am a sales representative that covers the entire state mostly larger cities: Jacksonville, Tampa, West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, etc.; so I do not have to live in the city to be near work. Our major focus is on good schools and proximity to roadways. Currently looking at Windermere area due to schools and the fact it is near the turnpike and I-4, but am open to any suggestions. Really like Lake Mary, but seems too hard to travel from going to South Florida. We are really trying to get more centralized to have more day trips, fewer overnights, and be home more often.
The Dr Phillips area would be perfect for you if you're looking to be close to all of the major roadways in central FL, and still have a safe area with good schools, shopping and restaurants nearby. Within a few miles, you have access to the turnpike, FL-528 and I-4 which can taken you pretty much anywhere you need to go. Literally in an hour, you can be in Daytona Beach, Melbourne, Tampa, or Ocala.

Windermere is good for schools and safety, but you'd have to travel farther to get to the 528/beachline that would take you out to the east coast. Also, not as close to attractions, shopping and restaurants if that's important to you.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagley View Post
Actually it's very easy to get around from Lake Mary. If going to South Florida, the 417 bypasses Orlando (along the east side) which takes you to either SR50 or the 528 which take you over to I-95 without any traffic issues unlike anything involving I-4. It takes exactly an hour to reach I-95 in Cocoa, the same amount of time it would take from SW Orlando if there was no traffic to deal with on that side of town...which is like never. The schools in Lake Mary are terrific and it's a great place for families/kids as it's not only much less congested than anywhere in Orlando, it's also quite safe.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually it's very easy to get around from Lake Mary. If going to South Florida, the 417 bypasses Orlando (along the east side) which takes you to either SR50 or the 528 which take you over to I-95 without any traffic issues unlike anything involving I-4. It takes exactly an hour to reach I-95 in Cocoa, the same amount of time it would take from SW Orlando if there was no traffic to deal with on that side of town...which is like never. The schools in Lake Mary are terrific and it's a great place for families/kids as it's not only much less congested than anywhere in Orlando, it's also quite safe.
The 528 is one exit up from Sand Lake Road and I've never sat in traffic getting to the Beachline. Did you mention the extra tolls the OP would pay getting on the 417 en route to the Beachline ?

Dr Phillips & Windermere are also not congested and the schools are also terrific.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The 528 is one exit up from Sand Lake Road and I've never sat in traffic getting to the Beachline. Did you mention the extra tolls the OP would pay getting on the 417 en route to the Beachline ?

Dr Phillips & Windermere are also not congested and the schools are also terrific.
Exactly. The 417 tolls can add up quickly. Can be more costly than a quick trip on the turnpike or 408 within the Orlando area.

Last edited by chopchop0; 02-20-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree. As for tolls, the OP is going to get them one way or another being they work all over the state.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree. As for tolls, the OP is going to get them one way or another being they work all over the state.
No need for the 417 if the OP chooses to live in SW Orlando/Dr Phillips. It's one less toll to worry about, as he/she will have immediate access to the turnpike, I-4 and the 528

Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The OP is traveling for work and I seriously doubt the reimbursable expense of one more toll road (in addition to the 528 and the Turnpike) is going to deter them. The bigger picture for most involves a more pleasurable place to live over adding up toll money, particularly if it's not a personal expense.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
According to some people, the solar system revolves around Lake Mary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando