Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times

Advertisements

DPAC Update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Also word on the street is there are plans for a 4 story office building with retail space on the ground floor on the NW corner of Robinson and Summerlin.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM

206 posts, read 414,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Also word on the street is there are plans for a 4 story office building with retail space on the ground floor on the NW corner of Robinson and Summerlin.
Can you be more detailed on what you had heard?

Here is information about Oasis from an old MPB report.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/plannin...20Robinson.pdf

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 PM

206 posts, read 414,992 times
And an OBJ article from the same time as the MPB - this is all early 2010:

Day Building coming down, Oasis on Robinson going up - Orlando Business Journal

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
A lot going on in here...

To answer the original question:

NW Corner of Colonial/Orange: Steel House - apartments with no retail. A nice touch will be that the west side of the complex is going to be a connecting part of the Orlando Urban Trail running along the SunRail tracks from Church Street area up to north Orange and connecting with Cady Way. http://www.cityoforlando.net/plannin...%2013%2011.pdf

Old Amway Arena: Becoming the Creative Village - demo should be within 30-60 days. City of Orlando Community Venues

Other Downtown Developments:
- "Central Station" going in the lot that was used by reporters during the Casey Anthony trial. Will create a pedestrian corridor from the LYNX and SunRail stations to the Courthouse.
Downtown development: Central Station would bring $200 million in downtown development - Orlando Sentinel

- Aloft - a boutique hotel (part of Starwood) that will actually be a large renovation of the old OUC building next to City Hall
http://www.cityoforlando.net/plannin...15%20Aloft.pdf

- Cambria Suites - business hotel on Rosalind next to the gold domed church across from Lake Eola
Developers plan 155-room Cambria Suites near Lake Eola - Orlando Sentinel

- DPAC - Performing Arts Center - Phase 1 under construction now
Look a webcam!: OxBlue Construction Camera: Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts

- LYMMO Expansion...not necessarily a building going up but still very exciting - Lymmo Study

Down the road...a potential sports and entertainment complex across from the Amway Center
MAGIC: Magic Continue to Spark Downtown Revitalization

The central station development project is a complete joke. It's small, designed like a Metro West type building of the 90's., and it's tallest tower is 9 stories? YOU SERIOUS? That huge lot and that all Orlando can think of. It's a joke, a complete joke. No wonder cities like Miami are better than Orlando,. What kind of piece of crap project is this? I'd much rather seen Ajax Stadium go here. This sucks. As Well as the small ass 8 story hotel on Orange and Colonial and the small as 4 story steel house project. Orlando is a joke downtown. I at least thought they wanted to see the city grow but I guess not.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
The central station development project is a complete joke. It's small, designed like a Metro West type building of the 90's., and it's tallest tower is 9 stories? YOU SERIOUS? That huge lot and that all Orlando can think of. It's a joke, a complete joke. No wonder cities like Miami are better than Orlando,. What kind of piece of crap project is this? I'd much rather seen Ajax Stadium go here. This sucks. As Well as the small ass 8 story hotel on Orange and Colonial and the small as 4 story steel house project. Orlando is a joke downtown. I at least thought they wanted to see the city grow but I guess not.
I think your expectations on what developers are willing to build downtown in this economic climate is completely unrealistic. Downtown already has loads of unfilled space in the towers we already have!!! Mid-rise density is the future. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Well you have to keep in mind it's not the "city" that develops these plans, it's the private developers. Years ago during the boom there were proposals for skyscrapers all over downtown. In today's environment everything is tapped down, and back. This is not the city or the people changing their vision of DT, it's simply the market influencing the private sector.

I actually like the plans, to me just about any development is good unless it doesn't fit with the character of the area. I'd love to see taller buildings also, but I don't mind the projects as they are proposed. We need residential and hotel options like Steelhouse, City Center and the new hotel to bring some more residents and breathe some more life into that side of DT. (BTW there is a proposal for a apartment building similar in looks and height to the Vue near the courthouse) To me, a soaring skyline is secondary to the vibrance and life at the street level. On top of that, most of the developers of the skyscrapers aren't looking at the skyline when they undertake developing them, they look at the street level and demand for such a building. If no one is DT it's unlikely they perceive a need for another tower.

The projects proposed definitely add something to the walkability and energy downtown. When I lived in Boston the downtown financial district was awesome from a far, skyscrapers everywhere, but after work hours it was dead. Most of the real urban life was further south in Copley Sq/Back Bay area which had a few skyscrapers but was mostly mid-rise and low rise buildings. That's where you could really hear the city breathing. As someone who lives downtown, I want that more than I want an impressive skyline.

But be patient FLBorn, if these types of projects bring more demand into DT we could see more vertical development in the future. There's still plenty of plots that can be developed or redeveloped for skyscrapers. This is one of the areas where we have a differences of opinion but I like the direction DT is heading in.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The corner of Orange and Colonial is a new upscale apartment complex. It will likely be similar to the other apartments in the area. Scheduled to be completed next year. That area of downtown was once planned to be an extension of the business/financial district but as time goes on it's slowly becoming Downtown's residential neighborhood for young singles. Even this new apartment complex will include only 1br and 2br units as they expect their tenants to be mostly singles or young couples. All they need in this area is few more dining options, a CVS and maybe a supermarket and it would be ideal.
Just a few blocks west there is a PUblix and a CVS or walgreens (can't recall which).

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just a few blocks west there is a PUblix and a CVS or walgreens (can't recall which).
Yeah I was thinking of something more in the immediate area that would be more walking distance for residents and the office workers. Between the 3 major complexes already there (Camden Orange Court, Uptown Apartments and Chenney Place), this third complex and offices (Traveler's building, 801 N. Magnolia, Orlando Sentinel and several smaller offices) and potentially hotel guests (double tree) this area would be sufficient to support another grocery or convenience store.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I think your expectations on what developers are willing to build downtown in this economic climate is completely unrealistic. Downtown already has loads of unfilled space in the towers we already have!!! Mid-rise density is the future. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Burst my bubble? Unrealistic? Yeah? Ok Then What are yours? Have more development go to Winter Park? or Maitland? Does that work for you and the city? Don't be misguided that I was referring to the empty space in the likes of the office towers. I don't know if you've noticed but as far as office, downtown Orlando and the city of Orlando itself is not doing anything to draw business to the city core. I'm aware of that and was not referring to that.

Much more the low rise apartment buildings such as Steelhouse. 320 Units could not fit into a 300-400 ft building near a transit line or along the Lymmo route? I mean why not? why put it along a tremendously busy highway? But it's whatever. Orlando can have it it's way just as the rest of the city leaders who play the "Small city, Big City" game.

That piece of land just has the potential to be so much more as well as the piece of land where Steelhouse is. IF their going to build something, at least maximize the height for the project! Jeeze. They want to build something mid-rise,low rise then go to Thorton park somewhere. It makes no sense not to maximize the height zoned for that parcel of land. Thats all I'm saying. Downtown will look so weird with Steelhouse located where it is from a non street level view. But from street level I'll admit it does bring a sense of vibrancy and density. But how far can you stretch that as opposed to putting as much use to a strip of land as possible?

(Oh and by the way I didn't take it personal or anything. I'm just in a rant about the project. it sounds like I'm offended once I proofread it but I am not.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Well you have to keep in mind it's not the "city" that develops these plans, it's the private developers. Years ago during the boom there were proposals for skyscrapers all over downtown. In today's environment everything is tapped down, and back. This is not the city or the people changing their vision of DT, it's simply the market influencing the private sector.

I actually like the plans, to me just about any development is good unless it doesn't fit with the character of the area. I'd love to see taller buildings also, but I don't mind the projects as they are proposed. We need residential and hotel options like Steelhouse, City Center and the new hotel to bring some more residents and breathe some more life into that side of DT. (BTW there is a proposal for a apartment building similar in looks and height to the Vue near the courthouse) To me, a soaring skyline is secondary to the vibrance and life at the street level. On top of that, most of the developers of the skyscrapers aren't looking at the skyline when they undertake developing them, they look at the street level and demand for such a building. If no one is DT it's unlikely they perceive a need for another tower.

The projects proposed definitely add something to the walkability and energy downtown. When I lived in Boston the downtown financial district was awesome from a far, skyscrapers everywhere, but after work hours it was dead. Most of the real urban life was further south in Copley Sq/Back Bay area which had a few skyscrapers but was mostly mid-rise and low rise buildings. That's where you could really hear the city breathing. As someone who lives downtown, I want that more than I want an impressive skyline.

But be patient FLBorn, if these types of projects bring more demand into DT we could see more vertical development in the future. There's still plenty of plots that can be developed or redeveloped for skyscrapers. This is one of the areas where we have a differences of opinion but I like the direction DT is heading in.

I hear you. See what I don't understand is the whole "Street Level" fantasy everyone is imagining downtown Orlando to be. I love downtown Orlando and I'm all for any projects in this city, but not maximizing the usage of the piece of land it's being built on or putting a project in a location regarding traffic,retail, foot traffic etc., just does NOT fly with me.

For instance why not build Steelhouse along the Lymmo line? Or closer to it and LCS? Why not put 320 unites into a tower and utalize the full development of the piece of land it's on? Like I was responding to Pete, Thorton park and east of the immediate CBD is zoned for low/mid rises. That area is not. Now unless (to my knowledge) the height allowance for that parcel of land where Steelhouse is and that general area has changes, then I see no reason a mid/low rise should go there.

This is a TOD development or so it claims, yet it's not on the BRT Lymmo line, and is a bit of a distance to LCS. Not even on the Lynx line if I'm not mistaking. That just doesn't make sense to me. I know the developer is responsible and it's their project(Im Not upset with them) but upset with the city for allowing the misuse of land.

On the brightside of my whole rant Pete and Crane, I'm with the both of you to see any development downtown. I think it's absolutely fantastic these buyers are taking a risk in this economic climate, I guess I'd be an investor and devloper looking to that of the future. I see Orlando's potential to be higher among any other city in Florida (Miami is just Miami) and I for one as a resident want to make sure this city does everything it can to grow.

Another thing to. I think the picture I seen of the Rida Development Central Station project was just a quick conceptual rendering so what image I have in my head for that lot could be completely off.

And Crane yes, that is known as "Skyhouse Orlando".

This project will be a 320 Unit 23 story 347Ft highrise Right beside Orange County Courthouse. This is what I meant about my rant. See this just as Steelhouse has 320 units, but this development by Novare Group of Atlanta will utilize that big space between Rosiland and Magnolia.

Again My understanding of LCS could be completely wrong and I may not seen all of Steelhouse so I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando