Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you all think Metro Orlando's economy is really getting better compared to 12 months ago?
Yes 14 56.00%
No 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 AM

40 posts, read 203,689 times

Advertisements

Unemployment rates county by county across Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford Metropolitan Area, as of December 2011:
  • Lake: 9.9%
  • Orange: 9.4%
  • Osceola: 10.7%
  • Seminole: 8.7%
  • Average Rate in Metro Area: 9.7%
There are no theme parks or a stronger tourism industry in Seminole County compared to Orange and Osceola (to my best knowledge).

So I'm curious about why Seminole County shows the lowest unemployment rate of the Metro Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttlerfly11 View Post
Unemployment rates county by county across Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford Metropolitan Area, as of December 2011:
There are no theme parks or a stronger tourism industry in Seminole County compared to Orange and Osceola (to my best knowledge).

So I'm curious about why Seminole County shows the lowest unemployment rate of the Metro Area
Seminole County is where many who work in Orange County actually live.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Seminole County is where many who work in Orange County actually live.
ditto for those who work in Osceola and choose to live in orange county

Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttlerfly11 View Post

This is whats called the U3 unemployment rate, its the official UE rate. It doesnt count those who have given up looking for work, and those whose benefits have ran out and those whoe are "underemployed"

The UE rate that includes those people is called the U6 number, and that stands around 16% nationally, even higher than it was in 2009 when the economy was at its "worst"

The U6 number has gone up while the U3 number has gone down because jobs are disappearing faster than are being created, I heard about this last week on Rush Limbaugh

If there are a certain number of people looking for jobs, and a certain number of jobs available, and a number of those people give up looking for work, the official u3 rate looks better because the U3 only counts those who are actively looking for work

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics even said that long term UE is reaching catastrophic levels and that it now takes the avg American 6 months to find a new job

My point is, as more and more people become discouraged in looking for work (like I have) the real unemployment rate will increase while the offical ue rate will decrease therefore making the economy look better when in fact it is getting worse and going to continue doing so

You guys need to listen to Martin Weiss founder of Weiss Research and guys like Rush Limbaugh, they really know what they're talking about

Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM

388 posts, read 790,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
This is whats called the U3 unemployment rate, its the official UE rate. It doesnt count those who have given up looking for work, and those whose benefits have ran out and those whoe are "underemployed"

The UE rate that includes those people is called the U6 number, and that stands around 16% nationally, even higher than it was in 2009 when the economy was at its "worst"

The U6 number has gone up while the U3 number has gone down because jobs are disappearing faster than are being created, I heard about this last week on Rush Limbaugh

If there are a certain number of people looking for jobs, and a certain number of jobs available, and a number of those people give up looking for work, the official u3 rate looks better because the U3 only counts those who are actively looking for work

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics even said that long term UE is reaching catastrophic levels and that it now takes the avg American 6 months to find a new job

My point is, as more and more people become discouraged in looking for work (like I have) the real unemployment rate will increase while the offical ue rate will decrease therefore making the economy look better when in fact it is getting worse and going to continue doing so

You guys need to listen to Martin Weiss founder of Weiss Research and guys like Rush Limbaugh, they really know what they're talking about
Sorry, but I lost you when you said we need to start listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Sorry, but I lost you when you said we need to start listening to Rush Limbaugh.
I would much rather listen to Real Radio 104.1. It's local and it's less about national politics (which do not matter to me) and more about local issues, opinions, and happenings (which after all are where all politics really begin). Despite what one thinks about Rush and/or his stance on things, you have to agree that it's a bunch of rambling about things we cannot control nor have little to no say on.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I would much rather listen to Real Radio 104.1. It's local and it's less about national politics (which do not matter to me) and more about local issues, opinions, and happenings (which after all are where all politics really begin). Despite what one thinks about Rush and/or his stance on things, you have to agree that it's a bunch of rambling about things we cannot control nor have little to no say on.
I listen to 104.1 as well, but only to Monsters in the Morning and thats IF Im up early enough to listen to them

I dont listen to the radio that much, my CD collection is too vast to do so, I had an Ipod trip but it broke

And usually when I do listen to the radio its either to Power 95.3, 102 Jamz or XL 106.7, and Mix 105.1 on Friday night 80s

And I guess I got a bit ahead of myself if I said I was a discouraged worker considering I was hired at a job like the next day

Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Bottom line, the economy has improved, but it still needs a lot more help. I'm seeing unemployment rates go down, and more importantly people are out spending money again.

My husband and I went to a local restaurant last night. A year ago on a Saturday night it would have been half full. Last night there was a 15-20 minute wait for a table. I'm also seeing more people in the malls with shopping bags in their hands (not just tourists--it's pretty easy to tell them from the locals) and friends who work in "discretionary spending" types of jobs like salons and spas say they've gotten busy again.

The more people spend that discretionary income (not saying they should incur debt to do so) the more it will trickle down to create more jobs. Yes, many will be service level, but those jobs trickle up to create more jobs that pay well in technology, management, etc. Those new jobs in turn will crete more jobs downstream.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
No way has it gotten better. With gas prices and insurance nearly doubling, its actually worse.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
No way has it gotten better. With gas prices and insurance nearly doubling, its actually worse.
I don't think gas prices have doubled in the past year. Gone up, yes, but doubled?

And what insurance has doubled? My car insurance for four cars is about $5 a month more (although I now have a $0 deductible), my homeowners stayed the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando