Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 05:12 PM

41 posts, read 65,509 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble figuring out what's the current situation with high schools near WDW. There seems to be new schools opening and activity in the direction of Horizon West and I'd love it if someone could break it down better than what I've found so far. Is the new Windermere HS a good spot to be? How about West Orange HS? Dr. Phillips? Celebration? Olympia? It seems like these schools are good one year and not good the next (and vice-versa). Appreciate personal experiences here, including for related middle schools, as my kid will be a 6th grader next year and we're considering the area. Would rather not pay for private schools. Charter schools would be great too but not familiar enough with where they are in the area yet. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 05:18 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Dr. Phillips and Olympia have been around for decades and have always been well regarded. I don’t know enough about Windermere HS, but it doesn’t look as highly rated as the other two on Niche. They’ve also just broken ground on a new high school that will be very close to Disney and will serve the south side of Dr. Phillips and Lake Buena Vista. Celebration is rated lower than I believe all of these. Not sure how West Orange compares these days.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:29 PM

Thx for response. Dr. Phillips is confusing because it is an A- on Niche but a 4/10 on GS. I assume that's due to changing demographics but it's giving me whiplash. Freedom High is ranked higher by US News and is also a 4/10 on GS.

Also, can anyone in Orange county attend Orange County Virtual Franchise?

Old 01-26-2021, 10:43 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie100 View Post
Thx for response. Dr. Phillips is confusing because it is an A- on Niche but a 4/10 on GS. I assume that's due to changing demographics but it's giving me whiplash. Freedom High is ranked higher by US News and is also a 4/10 on GS.

GreatSchools has devolved into a mockery and wouldn't spend much time there given their distaste for racial diversity. Niche, US News rankings(high schools only) and state accountability report cards are your best references.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:07 AM

Thx for responses. Is there reasonable confidence that Windermere High overcrowding will subside next year with opening of Horizon High?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:48 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Quote:
Thx for responses. Is there reasonable confidence that Windermere High overcrowding will subside next year with opening of Horizon High?
I think that’s hard to predict with the constant building happening in Horizon West and Hamlin. Central Florida always seems to build houses faster than the infrastructure can keep up.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:21 PM

Would y'all send your kids to Horizon West Middle and Windermere HS? Or not move to that area if you can't afford private schools?

Old 01-27-2021, 01:57 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
It's impossible to tell you what Horizon High, Lake Buena Vista high or Windermere High will look like in a few years. I understand the attraction to want to be close to Disney but that's a little too close. Just the minor trips to the Walgreen's or Publix could drive you insane. Stick to Dr. Phillips High school or a private school.

The feeder schools to Dr. Phillips (DP elem, SW middle) are great. DP high school along with Freedom, Oak Ridge and the new school Lake Buena Vista all divide the lower socio economic Tangelo neighborhood and surrounding communities, thus why the elementary & middle schools are excellent but the high schools are not. Dr. Phillips performs the best of all in the area.

Windermere crowding will be relieved when Horizon opens. With the number of people moving to the Horizon West area, I believe those 2 schools will be in the top 5 largest schools in the county. Hope that helps.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:39 PM

54 posts, read 55,429 times
To add to all the choir:

DP High: regular program average, many options for Magnet (Theater, CIS aka International Business, and small Medical Academy only for students zoned for DP). Additionally, wide range of AP classes. All the magnet programs are what gives DP Hs a good rep.

Windermere HS: recently opened and already over crowded. Have excellent theater there.

WG HS: rated lower than top ones, my older kid went from WG to DP, and was considerably happier in DP CIS program.

Freedom and Celebration do not have any particular good features. My realtor friend just moved from Celebration to Winter Park because oldest kid is going to HS. I hear that parents from Hunters Creek also move elsewhere by the time kids go to HS or look for private/charter options.

There is an excellent charter school: Orlando Science; however, transportation is not provided for charter school, so be prepared to drive your kid until they can drive themselves. Admission is via lottery.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:28 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:

Any kid in Orange County can request to go to any school in the OCPS system - as long as there's enough room in that school it's not a problem. But a lot of the better schools are crowded - especially in the fast growing parts of the county. As a parent it might be a problem getting your kid to school in the morning but that's a choice you would make.

I'd also 2nd not living close to Disney. The further southwest you go down the I-4 corridor the crazier the traffic gets. Even if you're working right there it's probably not worth the trade-off to live that close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando