Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 13,303 times

Advertisements

I just got into the Disney electrical apprenticeship and I'm looking for places to live near Disney on a budget. Right now I'm near Altamonte Springs, and I don't want to make that drive everyday because 1) I've taken I-4 to work before and it's too unreliable if I actually want to get to my job on time and 2) I'm going to end up spending a small fortune in gas. Ideally, I'd like a place < 20 from the Disney Sports resort and where I don't have to take I-4 to work.

Cheap is what I'm looking for right now. I don't care about amenities. I don't watch TV, I don't need a pool, a workout room, onsite laundry, blah, blah, blah, just a place to put the very little stuff I have and go to sleep at night. I don't need to be in a "nice" neighborhood, I've lived in some pretty bad areas and can't even remember how many times I've seen the SWAT before. I don't own anything valuable, and I'm a pretty large, rather intimidating male. The only pre-qualification is that I have a rescue cat that I'm taking care of. I'd prefer to keep the cat with me, but if push comes to shove I might just give it to my mom. I need something <$500 a month or up to $600 if electric is included. I'll be making $10.60/hr full time until summer when I'll be making $11.90/hr if there are any income restrictions (speaking of which, how is the income calculated for this? Pre-tax, post tax? 52 pay weeks a year? Does somebody know?).

Thanks

P.S. I can find a lot of "rooms" about this price, I'm just wondering if there are any apartments or the such as I would prefer to live alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,818,009 times
Your best bet is to try to find a room mate. Look at the places off Reams road behind the MK or at Cagan Crossings in Clermont.

To determine your income for restricted housing purposes they would take your base rate of pay x 40 hours a week x 52 weeks a year and divide by 12 for the gross monthly income. It always works off of the gross.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM

193 posts, read 621,615 times
Buena Vista Place (http://buenavistaplaceapts.com/directions - broken link) is directly across the street from one of the Disney employee parking lots on Reams Rd. It is Income Restricted.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 13,303 times
Buena Vista Place is still a bit pricey, even with the income restriction. I think it was like $630 for the smallest place they had. Cagan Crossings looks pretty promising, actually. It says they have CM discounts also, which is great. Thanks for the suggestion on that one, I'll drop by when I'm down there next.

Any other suggestions?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:17 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,108,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdc View Post
Buena Vista Place is still a bit pricey, even with the income restriction. I think it was like $630 for the smallest place they had. Cagan Crossings looks pretty promising, actually. It says they have CM discounts also, which is great. Thanks for the suggestion on that one, I'll drop by when I'm down there next.

Any other suggestions?
You can get the Disney discount on lots of complexes and even if they don't state it in writing, ask. Lots of restaurants and shops give the CMs discounts, too. My son and his friends go out to the same place every week because they can eat for something like $4.50 each.

Have you pulled up one of the rent.com magazines or apartmentsforrent.com etc.? Check in Kissimmee. I saw a studio listed at Polo Run for $500-$520 that allows small pets. BUT you will find most places will tack on a pet deposit in addition to the regular deposit. It can be as high as $500. (1 time deposit not monthly) I don't know anything about the place and not even sure how far East it is-looks like East of John Young Parkway but not sure how long it would take to get to Dsney from there.

My son lives in Kissimmee but west of I-4 and it takes him about 15 minutes to get to work taking Sherberth (I think)

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM

32 posts, read 57,158 times
Orlando is having a tough time in the housing market. If I were you I'd look for a private rental (not a complex) and see if you could negotiate down to the price you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando