Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,948 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We're thinking about accepting a job in Orlando where our net pay would be about 2200 a month (this is one income). We currently survive on a income less then 2200 a month in Springfield Missouri.

I'm thinking that Florida is going to be very pricey, and I want to know what Orlando has to offer in regards to cost of living.

Where can we find a decent family-oriented apartment or homes to rent? We would also want to buy a house, but we don't know the areas and we certainly don't want to live in the dumps.

And groceries, do people shop at Walmart down there? We get all our items from a super walmart up here in Springfield. Our walmarts are extremely nice and well priced. They're better then Dillons, Hyvee, or Pricecutter. We average around 400-350 a month in groceries.

We're looking for a 3 bedroom/2 bath. And we don't want to commute for an hour.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Orlando is pretty spread out, so it's hard to narrow down a housing location without more specifics as to where the job is.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, many do though.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM

24 posts, read 117,889 times
Lenders are extremely strict nowadays and if your plan is to try to qualify for a loan with a net income of $2200, you might find that the loan amount you get approved for will only get you in the "dump" areas. I would say a nice house in a decent area might run you about $150k here, you could probably grab something near $120k.

How much are you looking to spend on rent right in Orlando? $800?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Where is the job in Orlando? Orlando is pretty big. It would be best to live near your work. How much are you looking to spend on an apartment?

I shop at Super Walmart, Save-A-lot, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree. There's also Aldi. I get all meats when they are on sale at Albertsons. I stock up when things are on sale. IMHO, Walmart is too expensive for meats but Great Value brands are fine.

We live on a low income as well. I have a tight budget and I am frugal. It doesn't mean we can't have fun though. There are plenty free events here.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I did a cost of living comparison for you and at a salary of around 30K per year in Springfield you would need 11% more in Orlando to maintain your current standard of living. Worth noting is rent is nearly $200 more on average, $619 in Springfield vs. $803 here based on a 1 bedroom apartment. The cost of energy is higher here also at nearly $200 a month ($191) versus $122 in Springfield. In terms of groceries most people shop at the traditonal grocery chains. Publix is the primary grocery chain, but of course as pointed out all the discount offerings exist here as well such as WalMart, Save-A-Lot, BigLots and Aldi. One can look into the warehouse clubs as well, I recommend BJ's.

Cost of Living comparison calculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: