Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda101 View Post
And there are NO low income apt.'s in Avalon or area the new apt.'s by colonial are high end - all just rumor thanks! Great place to live!
Lets see.. Three years ago I was told my income was too high (and I hadn't graduated college yet, so only about $30k) to live in those apartments on the east side of Woodbury just south of the 408 overpass.. Waterford East? They were fairly new at the time and looked nice from the outside. I had to pick up an eBay purchase there two months ago and that place definitely is still section 8 - add to the fact that the seller told me of a rash of car break-ins and thefts occurring there, and it's not a happy place to be. That's exactly the people patroning the Walmart on 50 west of Alafaya. Maybe not technically IN Avalon Park, but sitting right on the doorstep, close enough for a 3 minute walk into the neighborhood. Perhaps that may be why I know of quite a few former Avalon Park residents moving further east to Wedgefield.. a more isolated upper middle class community.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,207 times
.....just waiting for that "Avalon Park WalMart Supercenter"

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,569 times
Default Thoughts from a 3 Year Resident

My wife and 6 year old daughter built a home in Avalon in November 2004 and thankfully got it in soon enough to buffer us from the recent downturn in home prices. This was not a concern really since we didnt plan on selling soon etc. We have been very happy here and although I sometimes have long commutes we have been happy with the conveniences, neighbors and schools. The first two or so years were great. We literally felt like we could leave doors unlocked at times and my wife could feel safe jogging alone at night. Last night my wife's car, which was parked in our rear driveway and carelessly unlocked, was broken into. Nothing was stolen but it had clearly been violated. My neighbor had his GPS stolen out of his car last night as well. This event has brought me to this post and provided me an outlet to list my grievences. Please don't respond with accusations of racism, elitism etc. as these are tired arguments and since I own a home here, frankly I don't give a %$#^@. They are as follows:

* Attending the recent Avalon event was like walking down the streets of Honduras. I was waiting for one of the female "youths" to ask me if I wanted a date for $20. What was once an Oktoberfest type setting with a family atmosphere has turned into Little San Juan.
* Enforcement of HOA rules. Lawns especially.
* 14 people living in one house.
* Hispanic Awareness week every time I turn around. Listen hunny, I need more Hispanic awareness like I need a hole in my head. It's Avalon Park. Not Avalon Parque.
* Driving by the ice cream store on Avalon/Tanja and having the ability to purchase some rocky road ice cream or just plain rock.
* Walked out of Publix at 11:00am and witnessed "Dave", a drunk homeless man on a bike yelling obsenities at patrons. 2 years ago you would have never seen this, but now Dave is probably one of the 13 renters in the townhouse next to the basketball court. You know...the one next to the purple Honda Civic with the sticker that says "Puerto Rican Lover".
* Starting to get concerned that the recent influx of kids with parents that could give a rat's ass about their kids' education/discipline are slowly dragging down our schools.

Hope you enjoyed this post. It felt great to write it. I'll have further grievences for your reading pleasure at a later time.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_in_Avalon View Post
Hope you enjoyed this post. It felt great to write it. I'll have further grievences for your reading pleasure at a later time.

In not so blunt of words, I've heard the same from quite a few people who have since moved out to Wedgefield.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Sean you forgot the need to now carry arms in Avalon Park. On the run was held up a few days ago, Mc D's had a strong armed, there were kids that were stealing booze out of the liquor store.

Frankly I feel like I live on the south side of chicago...not florida.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
* Starting to get concerned that the recent influx of kids with parents that could give a rat's ass about their kids' education/discipline are slowly dragging down our schools.
That was my main problem with Andover Lakes just down the road (Curry Ford) from Avalon. I'm so glad to be out of that poo-hole. It has nothing to do with the racial makeup of Andover Lakes since there was a balanced mix of people - it's the kids attitudes! I would just watch the way they disrespect their parents and get away with it on a daily basis - there's no discipline. 90% of the parents were very nice people to all of us (3 guys renting - 1 white, 1 latino, 1 black), but their 13 year old kids all tried to always act like members of MS-13.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
<snip>----- it's the kids attitudes!----- <snip>
Amazingly a lot of the Avalon problem also. Now they are thinking of passing a law about the "belt below the butt" issue??? The government should have better things to do than this. This is a CLEAR sign that parents are not parenting their children. Perhaps we need to go back to the logic of - kid causes trouble parent gets in trouble. I'd think a night in Orange Cty lock up should cure even the most stubborn parent.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 16,986 times
Quote:
My wife and 6 year old daughter built a home in Avalon in November 2004 and thankfully got it in soon enough to buffer us from the recent downturn in home prices. This was not a concern really since we didnt plan on selling soon etc. We have been very happy here and although I sometimes have long commutes we have been happy with the conveniences, neighbors and schools. The first two or so years were great. We literally felt like we could leave doors unlocked at times and my wife could feel safe jogging alone at night. Last night my wife's car, which was parked in our rear driveway and carelessly unlocked, was broken into. Nothing was stolen but it had clearly been violated. My neighbor had his GPS stolen out of his car last night as well. This event has brought me to this post and provided me an outlet to list my grievences. Please don't respond with accusations of racism, elitism etc. as these are tired arguments and since I own a home here, frankly I don't give a %$#^@. They are as follows:

* Attending the recent Avalon event was like walking down the streets of Honduras. I was waiting for one of the female "youths" to ask me if I wanted a date for $20. What was once an Oktoberfest type setting with a family atmosphere has turned into Little San Juan.
* Enforcement of HOA rules. Lawns especially.
* 14 people living in one house.
* Hispanic Awareness week every time I turn around. Listen hunny, I need more Hispanic awareness like I need a hole in my head. It's Avalon Park. Not Avalon Parque.
* Driving by the ice cream store on Avalon/Tanja and having the ability to purchase some rocky road ice cream or just plain rock.
* Walked out of Publix at 11:00am and witnessed "Dave", a drunk homeless man on a bike yelling obsenities at patrons. 2 years ago you would have never seen this, but now Dave is probably one of the 13 renters in the townhouse next to the basketball court. You know...the one next to the purple Honda Civic with the sticker that says "Puerto Rican Lover".

Just browsing this place (Avalon Park) on the web and it looks great, but I see a different, unexpected picture of life at Avalon Park now.

Thanks for the insight. We are planning relocate to Orlando and maybe somewhere else is better for our family.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM

winter park, winter springs, oviedo....

Old 01-26-2008, 08:18 AM

20 posts, read 72,281 times
I currently live in Wedgefield and the land is beautiful, however it's still not the ideal place to live due to the distance from the local Publix. The nearest Publix is a few miles and if you want to use the Lake Nona Publix the tolls will cost you a bit. I was supposed to move to Waterford Lakes but I am glad I didn't, and now I am thinking about a few years from now moving out of the state. The growth in central Florida was allowed without any planning due to the lack of participation from residents. If section 8 is a huge concern for you, I am not sure what options you may have. Most homes in all communities are renting to section 8 tenants because the county pays on time. The main concern should be what will come of the Schools in Avalon. Will the teachers that make the schools A rated leave? Only time will tell what will take place. Is anyone 100% positive it will be section 8 Apartments? They look really nice from the outside, but it appears to be overcrowded with the units. Somewhat like an updated projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando