Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Albuquerque even has two freeways, and no tolls. The Coronado Freeway going east/west and the Pan American Freeway going north/south.

Orlando and FL in general is poorly planned uncontrolled sprawl.
Drove the Coronado Freeway in ABQ on the way back here. AT RUSH HOUR

Traffic got slow for a little while, but to traverse the city from 98th St to Tramway Blvd took about 20 mins, easy trip

Driving up into the Sandias with all the snow on it was beautiful too

One thing you also have to remember is that ABQ Metro is less than 1/2 the size of Orlando Metro area, and I-40 has much more traffic capacity than I-4 does.

I-40 through ABQ is like 10 lanes wide, whereas I-4 is 6 lanes in most places. And I-4 sees about 300,000 cars a day slugging up and down I-4. Not sure home many I-40 sees but Im sure its much less

Last edited by DavieJ89; 03-26-2012 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
How in the Hell is Orlando Poorly planned? When the population , completely shot up. What the hell? Were they supposed to tell the people who wanted to move here "No, Wait! We have to plan your neighborhood build your school and rapid transit lines first".

Please Orlando was well planned for the city it's cize back in the 90's. It had a light rail plan in place and some other projects to helps it's growing population without the sprawl before the population took off. Congratulations to Orlando and Orange County for dealing with it, unlike people discredit the area for. At least they accepted it and took on problems unlike most cities.

Not to say they aren't doing anything now. Can't blame them for the thousands and thousands of people who wanted to move here.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
How in the Hell is Orlando Poorly planned? When the population , completely shot up. What the hell? Were they supposed to tell the people who wanted to move here "No, Wait! We have to plan your neighborhood build your school and rapid transit lines first".

Please Orlando was well planned for the city it's cize back in the 90's. It had a light rail plan in place and some other projects to helps it's growing population without the sprawl before the population took off. Congratulations to Orlando and Orange County for dealing with it, unlike people discredit the area for. At least they accepted it and took on problems unlike most cities.

Not to say they aren't doing anything now. Can't blame them for the thousands and thousands of people who wanted to move here.
The plus side to this economy being bad, and population growth stagnant means the city can catch up on updating infrastructure in time for when the population takes off (and it will) again

Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The plus side to this economy being bad, and population growth stagnant means the city can catch up on updating infrastructure in time for when the population takes off (and it will) again

I agree, and I honestly beleive Orlando will get it right this time because population won't stop here.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I agree, and I honestly beleive Orlando will get it right this time because population won't stop here.
IMO, I-4 should have been widened YEARS ago. This six lane crap isnt gonna cut it. And its only 8 lanes at major interchanges

I-4/535

I-4/528

I-4/Sand Lake

I-4/Conroy

I-4/Lee Rd

That stretch between Conroy and Lee is basically the "downtown" stretch of I-4 which makes it a huge bottle neck

Its only 8 lanes at THOSE interchanges. Adding toll lanes to I-4 will make it like I-10.

But if it means I will spend less of my life in traffic and more of my life with my female interests, I will gladly use the tolls

Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Good luck to all of you when Orlando hits 4 or 5 million people in the metropolitan area. Traffic will be at a standstill, lines will be huge at the grocery stores, crime will increase, tickets will be harder to come by, etc.
Be careful what you ask for ... there is a point of diminishing returns as to the size of a city.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Good luck to all of you when Orlando hits 4 or 5 million people in the metropolitan area. Traffic will be at a standstill, lines will be huge at the grocery stores, crime will increase, tickets will be harder to come by, etc.
Be careful what you ask for ... there is a point of diminishing returns as to the size of a city.

Orlando wil be fine.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Traffic is increasing all over the country.

No matter how big Orlando gets, at least traffic will never be THIS bad
China Traffic Jam Enters 9th Day, Spans Over 60 Miles

Imagine a traffic jam in a country over 1.5 Billion people?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Traffic is increasing all over the country.

No matter how big Orlando gets, at least traffic will never be THIS bad
China Traffic Jam Enters 9th Day, Spans Over 60 Miles

Imagine a traffic jam in a country over 1.5 Billion people?
Whoaaaaa 60 Miles of Traffic? Hahaha Never will Orlando be like that.
Great mention about increasing traffic around the country!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I was driving on I-4 today around 2:15 PM and from downtown Orlando to my exit for 528, and traffic was jammed up from Amelia Street to the 408, then again from Michigan Street all the way down to the FL Turnpike

I assumed it being around 2 in the afternoon that there might have been an accident but there wasn't. It was just a traffic jam for no reason. Did all those people have nothing better to do but get in their cars and jump on I-4 for the heck of it?

Im trying not to bash Orlando here but there was no reason for there to be a traffic jam at 2 in the afternoon. We're talking about I-4, not the 101 Freeway in Los Angeles

I cant remember where I read this, but I heard somewhere that by 2030, 2/3 of major US cities, Orlando included will have LA type traffic congestion

I certainly hope we all dont see ourselves one day going "Well, its 3 now, we have to be there at 5. We should leave right now to beat the traffic"

Thats almost a household quote in California, I certainly hope that doesn't happen here. I hope SunRail can stop this traffic congestion or at least alleviate it somewhat
I don't think SunRail will stop the congestion until there are feeder routes Not everyone works downtown and theres no way people traveling East to West or even East to Northwest or South West Vice Versa Can even use SuNRail. It sucks because this city doesnt understand you need at least one or two feederlines and in a Metro as expanded as Orlando you need several.

But I have the same hopes that it one day will. Traffic here at least moves. Well with the exception of I-4 sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando