Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times

Advertisements

Funny nobody ever talks about blacks unrelenting racism towards EVERY OTHER race. I forgot it's only racism when blacks are the victims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/21/jonatha-carr-fau-student- (broken link)
class_n_1369739.html

This girl should not be charged because she was so overwhelmed by Trayvon Martin's death. She should be given a reward for standing up for her right to free speech in the classroom.

EDIT: What a great justice system.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pu...harges_fau.php

Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 PM

129 posts, read 448,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
Thank you. Why is it that you see this after living just a little while but people who have here ALL their life here are totally blind to this? And how come we haven't heard from one not Latino on this thread? Again, why is are the locals so slow? I guess they can't see what's going on around them down here? I mean they can't pick on people actions, body language and contemptable treatment of in basic social interactions?
One thing I know about Philly, it sure does have it's share of angry people. Instead of complaning all day get off the computer and go make a difference in the community in which you live.

Last edited by NowInGreenville; 03-30-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM

70 posts, read 258,457 times
Wow. I grew up in NJ, right next to Asbury Park (unitl 1994); then lived in Pensacola FL for 4 years (2 years, 2 different times); Burlington, VT; Tallahassee, FL; Dallas, TX; Stockton, CA; Sacramento, CA; and now have been in Raleigh, NC for 6 years.

The only thing I can figure is that some of the posters on here have only ever lived in one place til recently. Culture shock is a real thing and makes you see things, perhaps, a little more critically than is necessary.

You want racism? Walking on campus at the college I attended in Pensacola, I was handed a KKK meeting flyer - this was in 1995. On this campus, there was also MAYBE a 2% Hispanic population; I think I knew one or two Asian students; everyone else was white or black. And black students, at least at that time, probably only made up for about 20% or so of the population. Coming for NJ, this was weird as $#!+.

Philly, I hate to tell you, but tension and lack of understanding (or WANTING to understand) other cultures is EVERYWHERE.

My husband is a 1st generation American who grew up in CA with parents from Mexico. His father was SO concerned about fitting in, that the kids didn't even learn Spanish. I think that's sad, to lose that part of the culture. But I know MANY other people in NY, NJ, FL, TX, CA (other states, of course, but those are the big ones) will preach day and night "If you're going to live in America, you should speak English." Agreed. But to the point that we shun people so much that they just simply drop that part of their cultural heritage?

Also, I have to say I was quite shocked when Philly, early in the thread, made a comment along the lines that "the people on the streets/in the city would have taken care of Zimmerman AND HIS FAMILY." Seriously???? How is THAT a behavior that you should be proud of or encourage?? That helps the overall situation how? You are saying that if YOU kill someone, we should go after you AND YOUR FAMILY? That is appropriate justice? I understand that you are upset by how you perceive things and we northerners tend to say things a little more harshly than we mean when we are heated so I wasn't going to bring it up but I just feel that would be as bad as someone ignoring the situation about which this thread is centered.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM

93 posts, read 235,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyleo View Post

Also, I have to say I was quite shocked when Philly, early in the thread, made a comment along the lines that "the people on the streets/in the city would have taken care of Zimmerman AND HIS FAMILY." Seriously???? How is THAT a behavior that you should be proud of or encourage?? That helps the overall situation how? You are saying that if YOU kill someone, we should go after you AND YOUR FAMILY? That is appropriate justice? I understand that you are upset by how you perceive things and we northerners tend to say things a little more harshly than we mean when we are heated so I wasn't going to bring it up but I just feel that would be as bad as someone ignoring the situation about which this thread is centered.
Notice I said that's how it "would've" went down in Philly. I didn't say it necessarily should happen this way. In Philadelphia it happens when a Black person say a robs a Italian, sometimes he comes up dead. It's called street justice.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 10,203 times
Quote:
Class?Are you kidding me?? Which ones, the ones with gold teeth, dirty dredlocks and ashy feet wearing flip flops?? Or maybe the ones in the tacky pink houses? Does the term "Florida Tacky" ring a bell??
LMAO that was funny

Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
What Black and Latino "tensions" have you witnessed? I Stay in Oak Ridge. One of the most black/latino centrally located neighborhoods in Orange County. Along with Meadowoods and Cyrpress Creek. Black and Latinos have always gotten along. Sure there are sub situations where a black girl got with a latino and the latino girls didn't like it they fight and vice versa, but I've never seen anything major here between blacks and latinos.

I think when you think tension you tend to think of violence. I'm talking about all the little stuff that makes the violence so much easier. The backbiting at the job, dirty looks without speaking, rudeness IF You don't see this in central Florida between Blacks and latinos you've got to me blind as a bat!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
Well i'm Latino (Puerto Rican), I live in the South Orange County area of Southchase near Hunter's Creek and I graduated from Cypress Creek High School a few years ago. I was raised here as well. The area I live in is extremely diverse, mostly middle class; I have friends of many nationalites and races, and many mixed friends including people from around the country. I'd say the vast majority of people in this area are very accepting and also have many friends of different backgrounds and orientations. For the most part everyone enjoys the diversity and the area itself. Its safe to say what many people don't like is "ghetto attitudes." These ghetto attitudes exist in all forms, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Gay etc. If the people I know have something negative to say about someone/something, it would be about the "ghetto attitude" and not race.
There are a lot of ghetto Puerto Ricans here in Orlando. Many of these attitudes come from go much deeper biases. Not just someone being ghetto.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM

70 posts, read 258,457 times
Quote:
Notice I said that's how it "would've" went down in Philly. I didn't say it necessarily should happen this way. In Philadelphia it happens when a Black person say a robs a Italian, sometimes he comes up dead. It's called street justice.
Ok, got ya. But then that means you realize things weren't great in PA either. And are you assuming I'm Italian because I'm from Jersey or was that just a coincidental, random example? Because I am indeed Italian...but we don't ALWAYS kill people.

I agree that tension related to race is rotten but we can't just ***** about it. We've got to do something positive to bridge gaps. Sounds cheesy but that's really the only way things will change.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:45 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
I think when you think tension you tend to think of violence. I'm talking about all the little stuff that makes the violence so much easier. The backbiting at the job, dirty looks without speaking, rudeness IF You don't see this in central Florida between Blacks and latinos you've got to me blind as a bat!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
What Black and Latino "tensions" have you witnessed? I Stay in Oak Ridge. One of the most black/latino centrally located neighborhoods in Orange County. Along with Meadowoods and Cyrpress Creek. Black and Latinos have always gotten along. Sure there are sub situations where a black girl got with a latino and the latino girls didn't like it they fight and vice versa, but I've never seen anything major here between blacks and latinos.

Sorry I'm bringing up old stuff but I had to respond. I lived in Central Florida over a decade and I went to school in Altamonte Springs. The tension I saw wasn't as intense as it is in Miami, but it was there. Maybe it was just a drastic contrast being from the Northeast but it was evident. In the schools black and hispanic kids constantly fought each other, especially in Lyman, Apopka, Wekiva, Cypress Creek and so on. A friend of mine, Puerto Rican, went to Cypress Creek and was jumped by black kids for simply being Hispanic.

I'm black and understand spanish, and I would hear many older and younger hispanics say nasty things about us. It was so different from the Northeast, I would get, " oh, you're cool for a black guy". Or they'd say racist jokes in Spanish they thought I wouldn't understand. It was quite frequent, and it was from both sides. Many of my black friends hated Hispanics for no particular reasons. They couldn't understand that my Caribbean background and my being from the Tri-State, allowed me to get along with many Latinos growing up. I have plenty examples, it was pretty common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando