Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:11 PM

93 posts, read 235,974 times

Advertisements

As a Black person living in Orlando you may wonder what is source of Latino/ Black Tension. I've seen alot of this tension here in Orlando. May notice that Many Latinos share African blood yet many there dislike for black people is very obvious. Without getting into a whole diatribe here are some things to consider:

1) Latin America as whole is Anti Black, and they bring much of their racism with them from there said countries.

2) Latin America never had a "One Drop Rule" where "one drop" of African Blood makes you a "Black" person socially. Thus Mulattoes don't have to acknowledge there African blood IF they are light enough. So the idea is to graduate to Whiteness by "Whitening". This meanings marrying White or white enough until one bloodline an offspring is devoid of African or Indian Blood.

3) Also, the social concept of Blackness doesn't really exist. That's why many mixed race Latinos (Zimmerman mentioned his black family members but still called Trayvon Martin a "Coon") are so racist. Being Black by most Latinos, even those of African or partial African descent is seen in one way, BAD.

4) Unlike the United States where people of African descent have attempted to rally round Black of being for the purpose of achieving equal rights, Blacks in Latin American haven't got that far yet. The conditions that many of them live under are like pre civil rights America. So most White/Mestizo/Light Mulattoes feel secure in there racist ways. Also nationality is used over race many times. So issues of racial often get written off push into ambiguity.

5) Couple all this with negative attitudes that still exist here in America about people of African descent. All this helped to fuel the murder of Trayvon Martin here in Florida.

Last edited by Philly Stress; 03-24-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 03-24-2012, 06:27 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Uhh as a black person I have not experienced direct racism here in Orlando. Maybe from OPD every so often but thats it.
Places like Sanford has always had racial tension, and it's common for one to feel uncomfortable in the likes of Christmas, Bithlo or Geneva or something .

Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Im white but I dont personally think there is a lot of black/latino tension.

On the west coast, I saw that all the time. But not here

At least here in south Orlando, a majority of couples I see are black/latin couples. Usually black male/latin female

Old 03-24-2012, 07:10 PM

93 posts, read 235,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Uhh as a black person I have not experienced direct racism here in Orlando. Maybe from OPD every so often but thats it.
Places like Sanford has always had racial tension, and it's common for one to feel uncomfortable in the likes of Christmas, Bithlo or Geneva or something .

If you're from Orlando and your saying this I'm not suprised. Sadly many Blacks here don't seem bright enough to noticed when they are being disrepected or taking advantage of. I took people from up north to get the ball rolling on this Treyvon Martin case. Hate to say it, but many of the brothers down here are really slow witted.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
If you're from Orlando and your saying this I'm not suprised. Sadly many Blacks here don't seem bright enough to noticed when they are being disrepected or taking advantage of. I took people from up north to get the ball rolling on this Treyvon Martin case. Hate to say it, but many of the brothers down here are really slow witted.

Phillystress u from philly? Philadelphia is like the most segregated city in the country...black/white relations there aint ice cream and pie either.

Hell Black on Black crime there is crazy also. Young black males in the philly ghettos kill each other every night how come no one marches to deal with that??

Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Never witnessed ethnic tension here. Orlando doesn't have any ethnic enclaves to have a sense of belonging.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
agree

But I still don't think there is ant tension here among ethnicities. Orlando doesn't have any ethnic enclaves.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
agree

But I still don't think there is ant tension here among ethnicities. Orlando doesn't have any ethnic enclaves.
You dont think so?

Not to defend Philly Stress here but what about Buenaventura Lakes in Kissimmee and Meadow Woods right next door over the Orange County line? Both of these communities are HEAVILY hispanic

What about Pine Hills, Parramore, Washington Shores, and Eatonville? Our predominantly black neighborhoods?

Or what about Li'l Vietnam town on East Colonial between Summerlin and Bumby?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
You dont think so?

Not to defend Philly Stress here but what about Buenaventura Lakes in Kissimmee and Meadow Woods right next door over the Orange County line? Both of these communities are HEAVILY hispanic

What about Pine Hills, Parramore, Washington Shores, and Eatonville? Our predominantly black neighborhoods?

Or what about Li'l Vietnam town on East Colonial between Summerlin and Bumby?
I wouldn't call those enclaves.

Orlando is a pretty integrated suburb.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im white but I dont personally think there is a lot of black/latino tension.

On the west coast, I saw that all the time. But not here

At least here in south Orlando, a majority of couples I see are black/latin couples. Usually black male/latin female
Mexicans (majority of west coast Latinos) don't have African blood, unlike the Latinos of Florida. I think that was a point the OP was trying to make (racist towards their own blood in FL).

When I lived in Orlando and Southern Florida I didn't notice much Latino vs. Black tension. Most of the time it was White on Latino or Black tension.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-24-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando