Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM

30 posts, read 119,211 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So i've been reading a lot of these threads for months now and I have to say I have been pretty back and forth about what I would like to do. I was certain that I wanted to move to Florida with my husband and 3 year old daughter but now I just don't know.

We currently live in NYC and it's getting very difficult for us out here. Cost of living is just way to high for the quality of living. We are not really night life people and we'd definitely prefer some peace, quiet, and warm weather I was let go from my job recently and I figured right now might be a good time to pick up and go. We have some money saved up, not a lot, but enough to cover a few months rent on a place plus the move. It would be nice to get some advice really from people who live out there. We wouldn't have jobs when we get there which is scary for me but I did hear the Tampa job market is expected to grow this year and I do have have almost 8 years of Administrative/Clerical experience. Can someone just give me a little feedback about the kinds of jobs available? Maybe some of you have moved out there recently and could possibly share your experiences? And how are the apartments out there? Online they seem beautiful but pictures can be deceiving. Can anyone share some thoughts with me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Tampa is a very tough job market (much like Orlando) as there isn't a lot of diversity beyond service sector jobs like retail, restaurants, lodging etc. South Florida and Jacksonville are more diverse in terms of jobs and recovering faster than other areas of the state. Jacksonville has the lowest unemployment rate of any big city in Florida, down to 8.8% after being up in the 11% range (like other Florida cities) last year. As a result I would recommend the Jacksonville area which is much more affordable also and otherwise offers the criteria you're looking for. Nice two bedroom apartments can be easily found for $700-$800 per month.

List of companies in Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jacksonville Hotels - Restaurants - Beaches - Florida Vacation Information - Visit Jacksonville

Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
I'm sure you've already seen this (not mine, made by RMD3819)
Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida. - YouTube

You'll need to be mentally prepared to have a much worse time than where you are now, at least initially. For economic safety's sake, take a job quickly, which will mean it will be a really undesired job, for any number of factors. You'll need to get a really cheap place to live, and unfortunately all the govt subsidized housing is full (that is kind of a joke, but not really.)

If you have your ducks in a row before you go, you should do fine if you can accept your lower socio-economic status. Many can. But you don't seem to have any ducks.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote] "You'll need to be mentally prepared to have a much worse time than where you are now, at least initially. For economic safety's sake, take a job quickly, which will mean it will be a really undesired job, for any number of factors. You'll need to get a really cheap place to live, and unfortunately all the govt subsidized housing is full (that is kind of a joke, but not really.)"... ]Quote

I know you'll find this hard to believe but not everyone will share what is probably your sad-luck story and pissing in everyone else's cereal while perhaps making yourself feel better about yourself in some perverted way does little for the OP than fill up forum space and adds zero to your stellar reputation...a whopping score of 29 is it? If you're going to continually reappear as part of the Unwelcome to Florida Committee at least try to make your argument seem legitimate versus your current non-factual flailing.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,679 times
Quote:
We have some money saved up, not a lot, but enough to cover a few months rent on a place
Quote:
I do have have almost 8 years of Administrative/Clerical experience
This does not bode well at all.

Frankly, you need more than a few months rent money to move down here with a chlild tow. Your job skill set is not in demand.

Oh and a "really cheap place to live" in Florida is going to be very nasty and unsafe.

Just to get a rental, you could be looking at $1,100 deposit + first month's rent. Then $500 power deposit and $100 water fee. Add in car registrations, etc. These were the actual numbers for my move and I didn't pay the $500 power deposit because I have excellent credit.

What does your husband do? This could help your situation. Could he come down on his own and get a job to start with? Also, are you getting unemployment from NY? That could give you some money. I also have no idea if anyone would even rent to you if you show up with no source of income and only a few months of cash in the bank.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Gee, all I needed was a letter from Con Ed to avoid the deposit on power. Those car reggies can
get expense with the impact fee added on, so yeah, they do need more than a few months rent money for sure.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I know you'll find this hard to believe but not everyone will share what is probably your sad-luck story and pissing in everyone else's cereal while perhaps making yourself feel better about yourself in some perverted way does little for the OP than fill up forum space and adds zero to your stellar reputation...a whopping score of 29 is it? If you're going to continually reappear as part of the Unwelcome to Florida Committee at least try to make your argument seem legitimate versus your current non-factual flailing.
u mad?

But seriously, yell at everyone else too. I think you're totally right on track.

OP, listen to Kyle, he knows. From another thread:
Quote:
Why Orlando? As others have pointed out it's a service economy job market here with plenty of part-time/no benefit $8 an hour jobs with no future. Have you considered looking just to the west in Louisiana? The worst cities in the state have unemployment rates two percentage points lower than Orlando's (7% versus 9%) and a much lower cost of living. Check out cities like Baton Rouge or Shreveport.

Last edited by CoreLysium; 04-18-2012 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Seriously, is there not a moderator around here any longer? It's curious the handful of anti-Florida trolls can hijack threads whenever they're up to it. The purpose of these threads (or so I thought) was to offer useful or even factual advice to those asking questions and not a place for those disenchanted with their own lives and experiences to transfer their misery onto others.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Seriously, is there not a moderator around here any longer? It's curious the handful of anti-Florida trolls can hijack threads whenever they're up to it. The purpose of these threads (or so I thought) was to offer useful or even factual advice to those asking questions and not a place for those disenchanted with their own lives and experiences to transfer their misery onto others.
Yep, a moderator would've been nice to clean up all of your anti-Republican bias you put in a lot of your posts. Why don't you apply for the job ?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
They'll banhammer you first, Kyle, as all you've been doing all day is attacking people. Chill out and stay on topic.

To stay on topic:
IF you can pull it off, you'll be very happy. Others will tell you that things cost more and pay is generally less, they are right. But there is a reason for the "sunshine tax," because good weather is worth paying for. There is no reason things can't be great in the long run, and I'm sure they will be. But I'm a pessimist/realist and will prepare for what I think is coming. A normal move is pretty rough, but a move to any area without a job is a difficult endeavor.

Pick any other city in any other state on this excellent site and find the threads where people are wanting to move there without a job and read what they have to say. It's the same cookie-cutter answer that we say here. That Kyle says here too. He's just not acting like himself today and all the Orlando forum is getting all edgy.

FL is good. You'll do fine. You will have to work at it more than likely and the first year might not be quite a bit of an adventure. And I, personally, hate adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando