Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,910,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Why, thank you! Orlando is by no means perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than where I came from (NOVA). I also lived outside NYC in NJ for a good chunk of my life and have been to nearly every state in this country. My brother ended up moving to Charlotte for a change and ended up hating it. It's different strokes for different folks I guess. Orlando has it's issues for sure, and on top of that list are low paying jobs. Right now I think employers have the upper hand and can pay like garbage because you have overqualified people applying in droves for one position making under $10/hr. Once the economy starts to turn around (and I think it's started) I'm hoping that will change. In the meantime, I consider myself incredibly fortunate to live here with so much to do at my fingertips.
Your posts in this thread have been spot on so far. This one caused me to comment. While Orlando is certainly not known for high paying jobs, critics will act like you cannot make a good living here. I am in my mid 20's with some college but no degree and some great work experience, and I was just made a job offer yesterday for the best money of my life. Now I know the posts will come in about how it's chump change compared to what people make elsewhere-fine. However, if you work hard, make yourself competitive, and be persistent, you can land jobs that put you well above the median income of this area like my new job. Combine that with a fiscally conservative lifestyle (and my fiancee's income), and I'm living pretty well here in Orlando. It can be done, but complaining and blaming the area, the economy, or whatnot will cause you to loose every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,175,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Your posts in this thread have been spot on so far. This one caused me to comment. While Orlando is certainly not known for high paying jobs, critics will act like you cannot make a good living here. I am in my mid 20's with some college but no degree and some great work experience, and I was just made a job offer yesterday for the best money of my life. Now I know the posts will come in about how it's chump change compared to what people make elsewhere-fine. However, if you work hard, make yourself competitive, and be persistent, you can land jobs that put you well above the median income of this area like my new job. Combine that with a fiscally conservative lifestyle (and my fiancee's income), and I'm living pretty well here in Orlando. It can be done, but complaining and blaming the area, the economy, or whatnot will cause you to loose every time.
Congrats. But in Orlando, we know chump change, can get you far or at least a "healthy Budget" if you spend your money accordingly. As I always say, no matter how much you make, however you handle that money will show in results of your spending's. I know plenty of people who don't make what is considered a lot to most people here, and still are able to have homes, nice cars, go to Magic games, theme parks, other expensive activities. So it's true what you say.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:06 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,510,775 times
It's true, I dont make a lot of money by any means but I own a nice car (even though it's 10 yrs old, drives like new, looks new too.) I enjoy the nice bars on occasion and a magic game whenever I can get a night off work

Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,910,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Congrats. But in Orlando, we know chump change, can get you far or at least a "healthy Budget" if you spend your money accordingly. As I always say, no matter how much you make, however you handle that money will show in results of your spending's. I know plenty of people who don't make what is considered a lot to most people here, and still are able to have homes, nice cars, go to Magic games, theme parks, other expensive activities. So it's true what you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
It's true, I dont make a lot of money by any means but I own a nice car (even though it's 10 yrs old, drives like new, looks new too.) I enjoy the nice bars on occasion and a magic game whenever I can get a night off work
Rock on gentlemen, your life is truly what you make of it. Also thanks FlBorn.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,267,330 times
I see glimmers of things improving, at least in the Oviedo area. a few help wanted signs out. my daughter, graduate from UCF for almost a year, got called in for a job interview in her field. New commercial buildings and apartment buildings going up, and for some reason Oviedo put in a beautiful brick traffic circle.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Rock on gentlemen, your life is truly what you make of it. Also thanks FlBorn.

Your welcome. I read today that over 29% of young people in Orlando has Bachelor degrees! So I mean thats why I like posting these things, to let people know the city is actually improving and moving in a whole new direction, although our city and county leaders are not agreeing with somethings.

New Lymmo Study is updated. Check out the outlook for walk-ability around downtown Orlando and immediate neighborhoods.
http://lymmostudy.co...PA_04242012.pdf

Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,163,180 times
Quote:
Your welcome. I read today that over 29% of young people in Orlando has Bachelor degrees! So I mean thats why I like posting these things, to let people know the city is actually improving and moving in a whole new direction, although our city and county leaders are not agreeing with somethings.
[/url]
Nice try ... 21% and that number will drop with the lack of professional jobs and the brain drain.

More than 21% of Orlando-area young adults have bachelor's degrees - Orlando Business Journal

Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Nice try ... 21% and that number will drop with the lack of professional jobs and the brain drain.

More than 21% of Orlando-area young adults have bachelor's degrees - Orlando Business Journal

Typo, using a t9. but yeah 21%. and the other part of your statement is so subjective, I won't even bother.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,163,180 times
Quote:
Typo, using a t9. but yeah 21%. and the other part of your statement is so subjective, I won't even bother.
Facts don't lie ... listen to the video.

Orlando's Status in the Innovation Economy - YouTube

Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Facts don't lie ... listen to the video.

Orlando's Status in the Innovation Economy - YouTube
Interesting. But with Valencia, and SSC both turning into 4 year degree programs, more people will have the access especially as those schools expand. From my time in primary school to now the education culture in Orlando has changed. For instance, the magnet programs the HS in Orange County have are empowering young people to be in control of their own educational destiny. For one to say the option isn't there is quite frankly inaccurate as there are a variety of options for education in Orland. However, when one decides to make a choice , then that is looked upon negatively. Generally Seminole County has been better education than Orlando. But I don't think it's getting as worse as you make it out to seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando