Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM

10 posts, read 16,927 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family has the opportunity to temporarily move to either Orlando or Tampa. We have never lived in Florida, but have visited the Orlando area and enjoyed it.

Since we are not very familiar with Florida I would LOVE your input. Please consider the following factors when advising:

1. Young family (mid 30's...well, that's young to me anyway) with two children (1 and 3).
2. This is temporary, not to exceed 18 months. Thus, we will be renting. We can't pay more then $1500 per month. However, we require a safe and family friendly neighborhood. Is that possible with the given budget? We prefer to live in a single family home but are open to other options (condo's, townhome's).
3. I would really like to attend grad school during this time. I was looking at the public administration programs at UCF and USF. Any opinions on either of these schools?

We are kinda leaning towards Orlando because we highly enjoyed our visit. However, I've heard that there is a lot of crime. I'm a paranoid mama bear and that scares me.

I've heard Tampa is great, but crazy expensive.

Wish we could go test run both places, but that's not possible. So, those of you in the know...please share your wisdom!

Thanks you so very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Orlando

Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I would choose Orlando. Not really a fan of Tampa.

As long as you live in a good area, crime is not going to be a problem. I grew up in Orlando and have never had an issue.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
Orlando. There is much more to do, especially with toddlers.

You can find a nice SFH in a safe area for less than 1500.

Let us know when you make your decision and we can help you narrow down areas.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
As someone without an agenda for either I would recommend Tampa as it's a more well-rounded city with things to do beyond theme parks. Actually Orlando is more expensive than Tampa (particularly when renting) so you'll get more for your rental dollar in terms of quality of home. USF and UCF are on par pretty much so there isn't a distinct advantage to either. By the way, asking the Tampa or Orlando question in the Orlando forum is probably not the most balanced place for answers unless you're trying to skew the results.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
agree with Kyle. Have lived and worked in Tampa and now am in Orlando.

If I could just go to either without job considerations, I would choose Tampa.

I am not a theme park person and Tampa has more cultural activities.
Tampa is more of a working town vs a service industry town.
The gulf breeze flowing into the Tampa area is more pleasant than the confluence of air and insects in central Florida. (I live on the east side so I have a sea breeze most of the time so it isn't so bad but if you live in other parts of Orlando it can be uncomfortable).

UCF and USF used to be competitors but I think UCF is edging USF out. But I am not sure that will matter outside of the state.

Either place is fine really, especially for an 18 month working vacation. Enjoy

Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
For your price range you should be able to find a nice SFH in a safe neighborhood in both areas. My personal opinion though is that UCF has a better reputation than USF. If that is the main purpose of your move than I would choose Orlando. Areas to consider are Winter Park, Maitland, Conway/Belle Isle, East Orlando, Oviedo, Tuskawilla, Avalon Park, Waterford Lakes, College Park, Colonialtown, Delaney Park, Eola Heights, Thornton Park. If you're willing to go out further from UCF you can also consider Dr. Phillips, Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, Sweetwater/Wekiva.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 AM

10 posts, read 16,927 times
Thanks so much for the great information!! Kyle is totally right, I'm kinda trying to convince myself on Orlando. Hubby seems to be leaning more towards it and if I can just make-up my ever indecisive mind then we will finally have a winner. The move takes place in the fall.

I think either Orlando or Tampa will be FANTASTIC. You guys got a fun state down there. We are in TN currently and it's OK. I love the hills, but trading them for the beach is nothing to cry about.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystrying View Post
Thanks so much for the great information!! Kyle is totally right, I'm kinda trying to convince myself on Orlando. Hubby seems to be leaning more towards it and if I can just make-up my ever indecisive mind then we will finally have a winner. The move takes place in the fall.

I think either Orlando or Tampa will be FANTASTIC. You guys got a fun state down there. We are in TN currently and it's OK. I love the hills, but trading them for the beach is nothing to cry about.
Living an hour or more from the beach is a factor you should consider if you're hoping to spend time there often, as I can guarantee driving that far does not make it a spur of the moment decision. Not sure where in "Tampa" your husband will be working but there is another half of the Tampa Bay area (literally 50% of the metro area) known as St Petersburg/Clearwater that's a beautiful area and at worst around 20 minutes to the beaches because of it's proximity on the peninsula, which also generates wonderful sea breezes on a hot day.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As someone without an agenda
I am curious what the difference is between someone who recommends a city in which they live to others vs someone who consistently recommends against. Is either really any less of an agenda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando