Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times

Advertisements

your right nyc8. i would try and sell my house but i cant for atleast 2 yrs or so. i dont want to have to pay cap gains taxes, and the market sucks right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 05:37 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall17 View Post
In general the people who move to Orlando from up north are retirees, seniors, people with pensions and social security. They are the ones buying the big houses and condos out of their savings and contributing to the economy of Orlando (along with tourists). When is the last time you saw a 65-year old gang member in handcuffs?

And, believe me, younger folks up north are not flocking to Orlando for lower salaries or lesser opportunities. They are looking to make money and the jobs are in more industrial centers around the country.

On the other hand, the young criminals up north make more money mugging people on the streets of NY or NJ. And these criminals are not migrating to Florida to get away from a little bit of cold weather. So, my friend, don't blame the "people that come here from up north".

If you want to play the blame game, blame our courts, our lack of adequate police, our parole system, our education funding, even our lack of immigration controls, and all the other institutions that are supposed to keep us safe.

I was refering to the thousands of younger kids in thier teens and 20's and there happen to be a large group of them from a Puerto Rican heritage.....take a ride through "Azalea Park" and that is the crowd i am speaking about....they come from lower middle class or dirt poor backgrounds and come to what seems like a nicer looking place and their families realize after a while being here that thier kids might need to go get a job to help support the family and the children(16yrs-30yrs) dont think working at a mcdonalds out here that pays $6.50 starting is the same as it would be worth the effort so they might get involved in things like dealing drugs or robbery or some other outlet.....but that isnt the whole population ....i am just saying alot of them seem to be around those bad influences eevn if they are trying to go on the straight and narrow and every now and then one might be lead by thier friends ....i think this is whats happening in Orlando with that part of our population....some mentalities are brought down here as being the only way they can survive....thats just my view so dont sue me

Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM

"I was refering to the thousands of younger kids in thier teens and 20's and there happen to be a large group of them from a Puerto Rican heritage....."

thaspecial, you read my mind. this is exactly what i am talking about.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"I was refering to the thousands of younger kids in thier teens and 20's and there happen to be a large group of them from a Puerto Rican heritage....."

thaspecial, you read my mind. this is exactly what i am talking about.
I think we are lost cousins or something man.....LOL.....but anyway i really am not blaming all people from up north because the traditionally bad crime areas in Orlando are the only real Floridian communities we have left and that is the areas where it is mostly black people like Pine Hills or Holden Heights and some other ghetto sections.......and those people are some of the only families with actuall generations that have been here in our black communities....and there are terrible crime issues in those places.....but i am reffering (again) to the younger northerners who moved here with thier parents or are young and on thier own in nicer areas of town and they bring some of thier mentalities on survival with them and use those mentalities to get things done if the job at McDonalds couldnt pay last months bills......

and then there are a large number of them like backtofl said that try so hard to prove where they are from that they become something they are not or were not in NJ and NY so they can fit in with the ones that were really from the streets up there and those kids are all over Orlando ......they do petty things around town all the time ....but sooner or later some of them actually get in the wrong crowd and will do serious crimes and some already have and it is happening more and more.....

i would tell those kids from personal experience to stop and look at themselves because i used to be the same way when i moved from Miami to Nashville....

i thought i could show people in Nashville what a real thug was and i wasnt really like that in Miami....In Miami i was surrounded by bad influences and lived in a ghetto area and went to a ghetto highschool and saw some things and did some things but i was never the guy that did armed robberies or beat people up to prove something, but when i moved to Nashville i had this pride from being from Miami and i would try to stare everyone down that thought they were tougher from Nashville....Well that got me in trouble one time and i learned real quick that there are real bad people everywhere........

i was staring at this dude in the gas station with my Miami Heat jersey on because i was going to prove that i wasnt scared of anyone being from Miami and he looked away and walked outside.....Well i started walking outside and i noticed out of the corner of my eye the same dude but he was with a group of about 10 guys....they all pulled up after i went in the store and the guy i was staring at came in the store after me so i had no idea he had all those people with him.....

he was built like he worked out and he looked about 25 and i was 17 at the time....well he started walking towards me by himself and his buddies were just standing by thier cars.....well the guy said whachu think you were lookin at in there huh?......and i told him what u gonna do?.....and then i said ...."I see all your boyz over there mang?....he said...."that aint my friends" ...(but i knew he was testing me to see if i would hit him thinking he wasnt with them so that they would all come over and jump me after i hit him)......so i told myself not to do anything cuz i knew they were going to jump me....

well he was grabbing my arm and said "GET IN YO CAR MANG"....and i resisted and said "what about yo boyz?".....(just kinda pointing out to him that he had backup and i didnt)...well at this point he was trying to make me look bad and trying to force me in my car and he said, "You better get in that car cuz im a bad boy mang" .....and as he said that he showed me this scar on his arm and he said i been shot and stabbed and you dont want none of this so get in and leave before i have to show you how bad i am"....

well i said i didnt mean to start sh$%^ with you and i got in and left and i thought they were going to follow me but they didnt ......at that point i knew i was not the man in Nashville.....i had no friends up there and those dudes were for real and it was a gang as i later found out who they were...and im glad i didnt start some mess at that time.......

well im just saying that even if you are from "THE Bronx" or "Miami" or anywhere and you are in a new town that you could end up getting into something you never thought about because of your pride......there is a time to fight and a time to let your pride go and stay alive.....it just seems that my experience will never be learned by these young people from up north because there are lots of them that stick together when they come here and they sure dont go into the black impovershed areas of town to prove they are the man, but they do bring thier ways to the suburbs and nicer areas of Orlando

Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 AM

326 posts, read 718,953 times
I feel for you being unhappy with your neighborhood in Orlando. I lived In Rosement, Altamonte Springs, Orlando, and Deltona, moved back to NY
ten years ago because crime was on the rise. Back then the increase in crime was blamed on people moving up to Orlando from Miami. After reading these posts I'm glad I followed by instincts and made the correct decision to return to NY. I kept a condo I bought in NY years ago so I could return in case I didn't like Florida. I liked it enough to stay ten years, but didn't like the increasing crime. Three of my Florida co-workers children were victims of shootings and in all my years of living in NY, I have never known of any family who was a victim of a violent crime. My co-workers are people who made over $45,000 a year, and lived in good neighborhoods in Orlando, one kid was murdered in a robbery while working in a fast food restaurant.

The final straw for me was when a co-worker who sat in front of me in the office came in looking like a ghost. I asked her what happened, and she said a guy started shooting another a guy at the gas station while she was filling up her car right across the street from our office in Orlando!

I guess the death penalty in Florida is not a deterrent against murder, I am definitely not against the death penalty, but apparently it doesn't make a difference in Florida.

I live in one of the biggest cities in NY, and if there have been five murders here this year, that's a lot, compare it to Orlando who is over 100 murders already and the year isn't over yet.

I hope Orlando's crime problems get resolved so the residents can enjoy living in that beautiful city, get involved good people, take back your city!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena View Post
I feel for you being unhappy with your neighborhood in Orlando. I lived In Rosement, Altamonte Springs, Orlando, and Deltona, moved back to NY
ten years ago because crime was on the rise. Back then the increase in crime was blamed on people moving up to Orlando from Miami. After reading these posts I'm glad I followed by instincts and made the correct decision to return to NY. I kept a condo I bought in NY years ago so I could return in case I didn't like Florida. I liked it enough to stay ten years, but didn't like the increasing crime. Three of my Florida co-workers children were victims of shootings and in all my years of living in NY, I have never known of any family who was a victim of a violent crime. My co-workers are people who made over $45,000 a year, and lived in good neighborhoods in Orlando, one kid was murdered in a robbery while working in a fast food restaurant.

The final straw for me was when a co-worker who sat in front of me in the office came in looking like a ghost. I asked her what happened, and she said a guy started shooting another a guy at the gas station while she was filling up her car right across the street from our office in Orlando!

I guess the death penalty in Florida is not a deterrent against murder, I am definitely not against the death penalty, but apparently it doesn't make a difference in Florida.

I live in one of the biggest cities in NY, and if there have been five murders here this year, that's a lot, compare it to Orlando who is over 100 murders already and the year isn't over yet.

I hope Orlando's crime problems get resolved so the residents can enjoy living in that beautiful city, get involved good people, take back your city!

That sucks about you having to leave here but i guess it turned out for the good like you said....and it sucks about knowing the people that were victims of crime while you were here to....What city do you live in now?.....Yeah i think you were right about alot of Miami's criminals moving here to.....or at least people with the street mentality from Miami.....but there are alot more NY and NJ and PR people here than when you were here .....i mean alot.....there is a group of the older ones that are not the problem and some younger ones are nice and ok too.....but there is a bunch that have come to bring thier ghetto to us in the nicer (not rich or upper middle class, but nicer) areas.......

Orlando is weird ...It "is" a "beautifull city" no trash on the grounds in the amount as you would see in bad parts of NY or Miami except maybe by paramore or Pine Hills in some spots but overall not alot of blight going on in the overall area....but that is what is weird and its hard to tell where crime will happen in average areas...in the ghetto its just like any other city but in average areas its hit or miss...just depends on what the flavor of the moment is for the criminal and what he wants to do.....for average suburbs there doesnt seem to be a sense of fear around them like in a major city but its weird because you will hear about 3 walgreens getting robbed near "goldenrod" in the same week or something like that then in "waterford lakes" you might hear about houses getting broken into in the area for a couple days....and so on.....

i have yet to actually see anything out where i live now on Universal BLVD......but there isnt any developments near me either so im lucky.....but not even a half a mile away the "Amigo's" resturant on I-Drive was robbed at 7 or 8pm a couple months ago and the guys came in there with guns and the frikin place wasnt even closed....this is in tourist land too......but with that said.....i am just pointing out that things do happen but i myself am not in fear everday just very causious hearing what can or could happen, but i am living a happy average life for the most part pending all the financial and family problems but that stuff is kind of the norm for me......anyways ......

Old 09-21-2007, 02:14 PM

47 posts, read 311,752 times
thaspecial, you should give a talk to neighborhood thugs or at a local church or brothers & sisters club or a school or somewhere , telling your story . Show them that the life of crime is not the way to go. It will be inspirational to those kids who really don't want to live as a thug but are too afraid to leave it.
Problems start in the home so if the parents are not around or are criminals themselves, it will just get worse. Seems Orlando needs positive role models in addition to more cops.

What about Guardian Angels? Is there a chapter here in Orlando?

It just seems to me if nothing is done about it, in a few more years, say 10 yrs, Orlando will be nothing but a criminal landfill. That is sad.

jeena - sorry to hear about your story. I'm from NYC , just got here for business reasons. I also own my apt back in NYC so I can go back whenever I want also.

such a pitty that this beautiful place really is just pretend.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:44 PM

"in a few more years, say 10 yrs, Orlando will be nothing but a criminal landfill. That is sad."

you are right. it may take less than that actually. it is already turning into one, and the ppl moving here bring it here too.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:32 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I have been told that the Bronx used to be one of the nicest boroughs in NYC and look at it now. I am not saying Orlando is the Bronx, but left unchecked, anything can happen.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:38 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"in a few more years, say 10 yrs, Orlando will be nothing but a criminal landfill. That is sad."

you are right. it may take less than that actually. it is already turning into one, and the ppl moving here bring it here too.
This is one of those comments where I just shake my head and wonder if we all live in the same city. "Orlando will be nothing but a criminal landfill." There are thousands upon thousands of good, hardworking people living here - I guess they're all going to move out in the next couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando