U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 PM

149 posts, read 671,739 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a good estimate on a rush-hour commute time from Viera to the Orlando Airport? Trying to compare to a commute from Lake Mary or Winter Park to the Airport. I have been told the commute from north of Orlando is very bad.

Thanks,
KR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Viera to Orlando commute

Can anyone give me a good estimate on a rush-hour commute time from Viera to the Orlando Airport? Trying to compare to a commute from Lake Mary or Winter Park to the Airport. I have been told the commute from north of Orlando is very bad.

Thanks,
KR

Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,453,489 times
Lake Mary/Winter Park to the Orlando Airport using toll roads is about 30-45 minutes at rush hour.

Viera is about 1.5 hours- you have to travel 95 to 528 (toll road)

Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 AM

14 posts, read 96,103 times
Angry What do you do for a living, Orlando?

Hello, all.

I'm frustrated. So I apologize if this post can get hard to follow. Its 3 a.m. and I want to express myself on this forum.

First off let me say that I'm a 23 year old african american woman and I am still living with my parents here in Orlando. I began working here so I don't know what it is like working in another area so I only know what I know by working here. I also have a degree in web design from 2004. I never got a real job outside of a very bad internship (bad as in I was driving my "employers" to work and home because they had no cars). Since then, I've got a "job" that was suggested to me by the woman that hired me at the internship after she admitted that's where she was working for income - there and a gentlemen's club as a waitress (Only she worked as the waitress).

Its been 3 years since I've been working 12 hour overnight shifts as a environmental monitoring technician at a pharmaceutical plant and I see no change. I started at $9 an hour when I was hired in May 2004 and today I've received "raises" off and on (depending on the owner's mood) which total $3.13 more than my starting pay. I am thankful, for it could be worse, but with outstanding loans and an old car that may buckle soon, forcing me to buy a newer one, I'm considering going back to school - to bury myself in more debt along with the 25K loan I already am stuck paying, in hopes of landing a spot in the medical field as I've heard and realized that it is a much more lucrative field as far as salary goes.

I live in a fairly middle class, if not upper class neighborhood, where I guess the homes are around 300+K and I notice when arriving home for work that the driveways are filled with at least 3 new cars, one home I counted has SEVEN - new model cars! A couple of Altimas, and a Camry I remember. The dwellers look Asian - (what do they do? ) And this proves that there are people roomating instead of owning their own home. But even if that is so, how on earth do these people afford to do this? I see jobs in the paper actually shouting about $7.75 being "great starting pay" and it makes me want to scream! And if they pay a penny more, it's commission based sales, call centers, low paying medical positions, warehouse labor or truck driving! With that, the choices are: make sales or be fired, get cussed out everytime you go to work, the stress of an demanding job with lousy wages, work like a slave, or rarely be home to see your family!

I have good credit - I have never purchased a car or apartment and I'm only paying multiple bills on time each month. I do not live outside my means, not an excessive shopper, and only own a computer that is still being paid for. Everything else has been bought cash and my car is paid for -from my parents - just insurance which is a good $45/month. But with the money I make now, I can not live on my own, even at a crappy apartment for $400 a month, or shacked up with a roommate splitting the cost! To think, I applied for an apartment at The Villages at Millenia last year. I said I wanted the $570 apartment. They told me to fill out an application and pay a fee. Later I was told I "make too much" for that apartment and was qualified for the more expensive $879 model. Ridiculous. Then I was hinted at work that I should have asked HR to lie about my pay in order to qualify for the lower costing model, when what I really get paid is not enough to afford it when the other bills are added along with it!

I'll be frank here, I want to know what people in my area (Orlando - Ocoee ) are doing for a living. Commute and all. Gas eats up the rest of my check after I pay my bills and then the rent I pay my parents, plus food to keep me alive.

I want to do some research on good paying occupations around here that real people are doing each day because I do not know many people to "network" with. My two closest friends are being paid less than me. One is a supervisor at a toy store making a little less than $10/hour. And the other just walked out on two years retail making a Trump-like $7.25/hour to join the army because she was "sick of being paid $7.25". As far as people at my job, my job is high turnover, production worker type work paying $8.50, with some production workers getting $11 per hour for being taught to do a "weight check" - a task that a monkey can do. I was doing it for a year and only got $9 an hour for it. I'm now in the Microbiology department there and work with one other person. He gets about 2 dollars less than me because he was moved up from production and position pay raises are based on percentages and/or manager's mood. Our positions are secure as FDA requires our jobs be done, but everyone else is not a good networking source! Most people don't speak english; most are Vietnamese, or Hispanic. And others have criminal backgrounds or are aiming to get one as we've had one sexual harrasser fired, theft caught on camera, 3 drug users terminated under the Zero Tolerance rule, and perverts are still working here. And few have college educations. All the good people are on day shift working 8 hours in nice offices and are GONE by the time I show up for work. It seems Networking is not an option. I'm even passing out business cards - and getting clients - for making resumes for people there in order to help them get out of this place! It's so frustrating!

Bottom line of this lengthy post:

Please let me know what career/jobs you are in -if it is paying you comfortably- so I can look into them and get information before making another costly college mistake that ends me up at a dead end out-of-my-field job. I am considering medical field to work at the hospital where some positons were paying hourly in the teens and 20's which really caught my eye! But I looked at X-ray techs and saw that they were being paid only $10/hour.

I know the best paying jobs that are keeping gas on full, food on hot and bills on paid are "top secret insider" jobs, and only people in them discuss them with other people in them, but I want to hear from you guys and gals! Since I haven't met you (yet), this is one approach! I spend a lot of time running errands and shopping in supermarkets hoping to bump into one of you and possibly spark a conversation about my future!

Any advice for specific medical fields for someone like me would be helpful! But any job will be good enough (except military - that is last resort) as this job I'm at is my first real creditable job! All others were fast food and Disney. I want to live the American Dream! I want to get started now while I'm young so my retirement years can be spent at home, not at Wal-mart! Thanks! With prayer and persistance, I will be successful!

So for those willing to not be secretive about it:
What do you do for a living? What did it take to get there? "How much is it paying you" and any advice?? Appreciate it!!

-Setsunna

Old 09-20-2007, 04:05 AM

307 posts, read 2,036,785 times
hmmm.....hard to say. sometimes it just depends, i would guess the 417 is your best bet. my husband commutes to disney everyday from here in lake mary and it takes him an hour. i'm sure other people will be able to help more!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 AM

555 posts, read 2,122,292 times
Hi Setsunna
I really sympathize with you. You sound very bright, capable and eager to advance in a career. Maybe other posters can give you advice on specific high paying fields, but I work in the Orlando area as a gov employee. I have been working for the gov for 25 years, my job requires skills that recent college grads would have to be trained for, and some of my knowledge would take a replacement a while to learn. It is very technical. I make around $15.00/hr plus benefits. That is after 25 years. The pros are a generous leave policy and a pension accrual. I have a BS degree.
High pressure sales with commission and trained medical seem to make good salaries.
I do know retirees from up north somewhere boast of great jobs with great pay.
In general, the south does pay poorer wages than the north. I wish you luck in finding a good career.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 AM

Thank you for the reply. We are moving to indian harbour beach in 6 mths and we just got word that my wife's sister and husband are moving to Orlando. He needs quick access to MCO and needs to live in a safe upscale community with highly rated schools. Price range for a home is $750k. They have heard horror stories about traffic commuting from north Orlando area to MCO/downtown Orlando, thus the search for alternate communities, but my gut is telling me they should stick with Lake Mary/Winter Park. Any opinions would be very helpful.

KR

Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM

59 posts, read 222,025 times
Smile You're getting paid in sunshine!!!

I feel your pain and it's a lot of the that sentiment going around these days especially from newcomers to the area. I live in Tampa and I moved here from Ohio I to have degree plus years of experience and i havent been able to find a decent paying job either so i decided to use a low paying job as my spring board to get something better. I work for a healthcare company doing customer svr ($13/hr) currently so i decided that i'd stay in this position learn as much as i can in one year and transfer to another state for a better position with better wages. That's my plan for now! Open up your possibilities, start contacting family, friends (network) in other states and cities for the opportunities you're looking for. I really like florida and i am going to hate leaving this place but the pay here is the worst i've ever seen.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Last edited by Kat_Woman36; 09-20-2007 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: forget some details

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM

960 posts, read 1,529,155 times
I really think you should consider moving north. Do you have any family outside of Florida where you could stay?

I wouldn't give up on the web design entirely, if that is what you enjoy the most. Going back to school to get a higher paying job, is not a guarantee of financial success. In the long run you are always better off, if not financially, doing something you love.

You are, however, at a disadvantage being a working woman in Florida. Women make considerably less than their counterparts up north because of the obvious "good ol boy" mentality in the work place. I have a Bachelors degree, nearly 20 years of working exprience and have never made more than $13.00 an hour in the many years I have lived here.

I wish I could be of more help. Best of luck in whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando