Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,533 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
For working reasons I recently moved from Columbus, Ohio to Orlando, Fl. I have never lived in a city that has the aggressiveness level as huge. You can go anywhere around the city from a simple grocery store to the best luxury mall, people is always in a bad mud.
I totally understand that having to deal with tourist all day everyday during 365 days a year is the toughest thing a human can do, but they can’t change it, that is something they must know and have to realize before even considering living here. Orlando is Mickey’s main house and so it will always be like that.
Traffic is very nasty, the way people drive is at the very minimum level, they have no clue how to use the turn signals, change lines, and corner turns just name it.

It is sad that the number one tourist city in U.S.A. has a very poor level of service and general behavior towards other people, because whether they like it or not, Orlando is U.S.A’s face and first impression in front of the entire world, 40million tourist a year can totally say that.

Anyway, I’m very disappointed and I also know that many of you will reply to this email saying that I should move back to Ohio, well for those of you that’s not the case, we should be thinking in how can we all do to help changing this behavior or better start changing ourselves.

Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 44,997 times
i agree with what you are saying..you can tell just by reading this board how agressive people can be so its not just out on the roads..but change needs to start at home..I for one refuse to be part of the problem..but I am also not quick to belive that Orlando is a terrible place to live..I have lived and loved this city since I moved here 7 years ago..I don't think I could ever live anywhere else again. i have encounterd worse situations in other towns I have lived in up north..so I am not going to believe that living in ORLANDO fl is any worse then living somewhere else.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,533 times
Sorry if on any part of my letter I have offended hurt somebody's feelings, I love living in Orlando but the attitude of the population can definitely change anyone’s perspective. Everyone that lives in Orlando has to agree that the way people behave is totally wrong and out of control and even more than all the cities I have lived.
Like you said, the change starts at home but not only changing your home can work, you have to start treating other people like equal and eventually it will pass along.

Thank you for writing and letting me know your point of view.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,472 times
I haven't noticed any widespread problem (except with drivers, which are crazy here all over). It has seemed to me that the bad-tempered people seem to clump together, and I have had good results by avoiding the clumps.

-Harry

Old 09-20-2007, 12:26 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
explorer2000, i wouldnt tell you to move back to ohio, and most ppl here probably wouldnt either. when ppl tell others to move back where they came from, it is usually directed at the northerners who come to fla and complain and say how things are better up north and so forth. we get tired of that.

but you have a legitimate complaint. aggressive ppl are all over orlando, and not sure what makes everyone this way. we have a very high transient population, mostly from ny/nj/puerto-rico, and this is probably a part of it. another is all the ucf kids. another is the criminal element which orlando has a very high population of.

i've spent time ina atlanta, charlotte, raliegh, jax'ville, and many other large cities, and have never seen the rude, aggressive ppl that i've seen here in orlando. i think most ppl would agree that the face of orlando has changed, and not for the better. anyone who disagrees that orlando has changed and we have a high criminal element, w/ agressive drivers, a crime problem, and rude ppl are wrong.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM

47 posts, read 311,752 times
explorer - i agree with what you wrote. and i agree it all starts at home & needs to be expanded outward.

i noticed since being here for just 1 week, that people DO NOT know how to drive.
Everyone is on the phone while driving - WTF???? why is that? are these people so insecure that they continually have to be in contact with someone on the phone?? are they that lonely??? or just that stupid??? Where ever these poor retarded drivers are going, they need a detour to lead them to Oz so they can ask for a brain.

The driving problem is what puts people in a bad mood. If everyone knew how to drive, how to drive without being on the phone , how to be a polite driver like use turning signals, I bet generally speaking, people may start to be in a better mood. although i realize there are other issues that will contribute to a persons bad mood.

just a thought.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC8 View Post
explorer - i agree with what you wrote. and i agree it all starts at home & needs to be expanded outward.

i noticed since being here for just 1 week, that people DO NOT know how to drive.
Everyone is on the phone while driving - WTF???? why is that? are these people so insecure that they continually have to be in contact with someone on the phone?? are they that lonely??? or just that stupid??? Where ever these poor retarded drivers are going, they need a detour to lead them to Oz so they can ask for a brain.

The driving problem is what puts people in a bad mood. If everyone knew how to drive, how to drive without being on the phone , how to be a polite driver like use turning signals, I bet generally speaking, people may start to be in a better mood. although i realize there are other issues that will contribute to a persons bad mood.

just a thought.
Don't forget running lights; I can only remember seeing three or four people just flat out drive right through a red light in my 21 years of driving in Delaware. I have seen more that that do it since I moved here at the end of July. And I'm not talking about sliding through the light while it's changing: that happens everywhere. I mean the light was red and they just drove right on through it without slowing down.

-Harry

Old 09-20-2007, 11:10 PM

Oh, I forgot people behind you honking at you for not making a left turn on red. Happened to me every day for a week not to long after I got here.

-Harry

Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer-2000 View Post
Hello All,
For working reasons I recently moved from Columbus, Ohio to Orlando, Fl. I have never lived in a city that has the aggressiveness level as huge. You can go anywhere around the city from a simple grocery store to the best luxury mall, people is always in a bad mud.
I totally understand that having to deal with tourist all day everyday during 365 days a year is the toughest thing a human can do, but they can’t change it, that is something they must know and have to realize before even considering living here. Orlando is Mickey’s main house and so it will always be like that.
Traffic is very nasty, the way people drive is at the very minimum level, they have no clue how to use the turn signals, change lines, and corner turns just name it.

It is sad that the number one tourist city in U.S.A. has a very poor level of service and general behavior towards other people, because whether they like it or not, Orlando is U.S.A’s face and first impression in front of the entire world, 40million tourist a year can totally say that.

Anyway, I’m very disappointed and I also know that many of you will reply to this email saying that I should move back to Ohio, well for those of you that’s not the case, we should be thinking in how can we all do to help changing this behavior or better start changing ourselves.

Thank you for reading.
When most tourist jobs only pay $7 to $8 an hour and we gotta fake smile to everybody everyday it sucks, add to that crazy inflation, insurance, home prices, you'll get the idea. Its not fair to say you just moved here and you haven't walked in other ppl's shoes yet. We been workin our as# off and have little to show for it, that's the reality and sorry to tell you that its not the perfect place you hoped for, I think you should get used to it. Personally I enjoy it here but our economy, especially in the slow tourist months are really hard to make it financially. Oh yeah I can't even remember the last time I got a decent raise and I'm sure most other ppl will tell you the same.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 AM

217 posts, read 879,205 times
I agree that the driving situation in the Orlando area (as well as SW FL) isn't that great. But you know what the funny thing is? I see bad drivers with FL plates of course, but I also see the same bad driving habits done by out of state drivers too, supposedly where everyone uses turn signals, doesn't speed, etc. I also think the out of state plates you see are representative of where Floridians are originally from (NY, NJ, MA, IL, MI, etc.). As a upstate New York native, I see quite a few aggressive drivers with NY plates. I bet most are from NYC though. Of course, upstate NY drivers are alot better than downstate. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando