Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,388 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been reading the forums here about the various neighborhoods of Orlando since I am intending to move there to attend UCF for Grad School in the following year and am interested in how decent the job market is these days for basic jobs. I'm looking into something I can do while attending college, maybe Bartending or some other nighttime positions to leave my days open for school. I hear that Orlando has some issues with the price of housing vs wages so I am curious if it is possible for two people to make enough money to live on while we attending our schools in this city.

I'd appreciate any help or information you folks could give me, I have a month or so to make my decision to move. I'm coming from Texas and have always enjoyed Florida so I am hoping UCF will work out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekh765 View Post
Hello, I've been reading the forums here about the various neighborhoods of Orlando since I am intending to move there to attend UCF for Grad School in the following year and am interested in how decent the job market is these days for basic jobs. I'm looking into something I can do while attending college, maybe Bartending or some other nighttime positions to leave my days open for school. I hear that Orlando has some issues with the price of housing vs wages so I am curious if it is possible for two people to make enough money to live on while we attending our schools in this city.

I'd appreciate any help or information you folks could give me, I have a month or so to make my decision to move. I'm coming from Texas and have always enjoyed Florida so I am hoping UCF will work out well.
I'm sure you can find work over by the college or downtown Orlando. As long as you keep your expenses down, it can be done.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Service jobs here abundant but the higher tip bracket jobs like bartending may be a little harder to get.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekh765 View Post

I worked in the hospitality industry for many years (several years here in Central Florida) and can tell you falling into a Bartender job doesn't happen easily and is usually either through promotion from within or a viable connection with someone doing the hiring. Out of town experience is often considered as "no experience at all" oddly enough. Finding a job as a waiter isn't easy either if you don't have experience and hope to make enough to live off. The types of restaurants that hire those without experience tend to be the Chili's or Applebees type establishments where working part time might net you $300 a week, especially since full time employees get first crack at the money shifts (weekend nights) and working lunches will be a big part of your scheduled time when starting, where $30-$40 a day is the norm. Other service industry jobs here (retail for example) average around $8-$9 an hour and the vast majority offer around 20 hours a week. The rent to salary ratio is disproportionately high here in Orlando, as is auto insurance and other expenses like utilities. If you plan to attend school here I would highly consider funding via student loans or seeking stipends as it's most likely going to be a struggle otherwise, as many full time residents with similar skill levels not attending school are having a rough time of it.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
^Stay away from student loans at all costs. If you "have to" use them for your tuition, do not make the mistake of paying for living expenses with interest. That cup of coffee or power bill will cost at least double the initial charge by financing living. Live on a budget, rent a room and not an apartment and have your buddy do the same. Cook at home and shop the specials to save on groceries. $400 per week serving equals about $1600 a month which will do alright if you're not eating out and partying.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Service jobs here abundant but the higher tip bracket jobs like bartending may be a little harder to get.
This. And even then, you have to live super frugal. Orlando is nowhere near as affordable as it once was. And the best piece of advice for anyone seeking to relocate here is NEVER move without a job lined up first!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:01 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
^Stay away from student loans at all costs. If you "have to" use them for your tuition, do not make the mistake of paying for living expenses with interest. That cup of coffee or power bill will cost at least double the initial charge by financing living. Live on a budget, rent a room and not an apartment and have your buddy do the same. Cook at home and shop the specials to save on groceries. $400 per week serving equals about $1600 a month which will do alright if you're not eating out and partying.
I agree, I said have to if the OP is hellbent (for some reason) on attending grad school in Orlando, Florida...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 AM

207 posts, read 1,033,834 times
Orlando is probably one of THE most affordable and still-nice cities to live in these days. If you can't find a decent place to live on a basic service industry job HERE, then you are very unlikely to find it anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: