Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 PM

207 posts, read 1,033,834 times

Advertisements

I live in East Orlando. I am about to have my whole house re-carpeted, about 2000 sq.ft. worth. I got an estimate from Lowes for about $8,500 for some nice (I thought) loop-style Stainmaster carpet with upgraded padding. This price included haul away, plus I can get 18 months 0% interest. It was not Berber, but a different kind of loop.

Then I decided to check with Empire on a whim (I always remember those commercials). The sales guy came out and explained why their carpets are superior (of course) and that they would actually be more expensive than Lowes, but it turns out his quote, after he gave me his own "personal" discount, was about $1,000 less than Lowes for a nice Berber product.

Then I started looking up reviews and it seems there are a lot of disgruntled Empire customers, and talk about how they bait and switch the product and the quality is not as good as they talk it up.

Does anyone here have experience with either Empire or Lowes, and would anyone recommend one over the other? This is going to be a lot of money for us and something we need to live with for years so I want to make sure we get it right.

Also, any opinions on using Berber carpet throughout the whole house would be welcome! We don't have pets, but at least one young child, and we like something that will feel soft under bare feet but also hold up and be durable over the year. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
We used Lowes for lots of things when we did the refurb of the house we bought. One word of caution on the 0% interest....read everything carefully.....We charged our appliances and then months later charged the vanities, commodes, and sinks for 2 bathrooms.

They do not take the money you send each month to pay off the first purchase so it doesn't get interest charged. I thought when I sent a $4000 check to pay off the appliances, they were paid off, but a year later I was charged the interedst on that purchase because they took the $4000 and spread it to other charges and did not pay off in the order purchased. You have to call and tel them each month that you want the payment applied to the deferred interest buy. Tjhey got me once---after we had spent about $5000 cash and charged about $6000 and we haven't bought any thing else there since. No talking to the company about it at all. Everyone was rude.

I was leery of Empire because of the reviews, too but friends who did use them were not impressed with the way the carpet was wearing so fast.

We ended up buying our carpet at Home Depot and got a pretty good deal. We had them install it and they were very good. Our installer even helped us figure out a better way to do the tile in the entryway to make the existing tile there look more current. We used their best pad and the carpet is beautiful. Friends love how deep it feels when you walk barefoot.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
We ended up buying our carpet at Home Depot and got a pretty good deal. We had them install it and they were very good.
Same experience here. I would definitely recommend Home Depot over Lowe's.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I would use a locally owned carpet store. There have been a myriad of problems with the big box stores. Empire is the worst of the bunch. Empire actually bids out the jobs on the morning of the installation to the lowest bidder. So you get whoever needs the work the most, not the best installer.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:44 PM

288 posts, read 733,768 times
I had my tv room done by Lowes and was very happy with it. The deal was that they would do any other rooms free, so I also had my room done. Total cost for the carpet, padding, the install, and them hauling the old one away was about $900. They were helpful in selecting which carpet and talked me out of the first one I wanted because I have a dog. He said if the dog's claw accidentally got caught in it, it would undo that whole row, so they helped me pick out something else that wouldn't do that, just as nice as the one I wanted originally. The only reason I wanted it done is because it's a big house and echoes without the carpeting. I would prefer to just pull up the carpets and re-tile the place. I think it's a lot cooler and easier to keep clean.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we're going to go with Lowes even though they are the most expensive by about $1k at this point. I've ruled out Empire based on reviews I've read and the postings here. Home depot carpet seemed really cheap to us and we did not fall in love with any styles there. Lowes carpet seems to have the best quality and has the exact style we want. I've read that Lowes stainmaster carpet is just sprayed on after the carpet is manufactured whereas Home Depot and Empire both say the individual fibers are protected before the carpet is made, but Lowes said if you're careful and abide by the warranty terms then there is no problem getting a replacement should something happen. We'll see!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM

19 posts, read 113,190 times
Yep, I would stick with Lowe's or Home Depot. It sounds like Lowe's has what you want, so I would go for it.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Don't count on the carpet warranty. There are too many ways for them not to replace it.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Don't count on the carpet warranty. There are too many ways for them not to replace it.
Isn't that true of anybody?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM

30 posts, read 100,209 times
Hello, I have used Lowe's before, but they sub-contract. That means you will probably have to depend on someone they choose for the job. (Lowe's should have a list of contractors on a bulletin board at the store.) This helps when deciding on choosing a professional. Aside from that, maybe you should try a third party who does carpeting. Good Luck. Destrella
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando