Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM

19 posts, read 112,538 times

Advertisements

So it seems from another post that most of the more affordable homes in Windermere are zoned to West Orange.

Was interested in being zoned for Olympia High School, but my budget is under 300k. Are there any communities that fit the bill here, or should I be looking at West Orange High School? Also, would like to have something gated if possible, or am I asking for too much here? (Am flexible on the gated community.)

Any insight appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,636,707 times
Yes, there are tons of communities that are affordable, which are zoned for Olympia. Metro West is one of them.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,480,881 times
MetroWest has been battling crime issues for years now. Although I think it has gotten better recently I wouldn't recommend living there.

OP, look in the Dr. Phillips area. Dr. Phillips High School is a great school as well (better than West Orange), and you should be able to find something in that price range (although the house might be a little older).

Remember, wherever you live in Orange County, your child can attend a magnet program at a better school somewhere else in the county. You would just have to give up bus service.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM

680 posts, read 1,912,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
MetroWest has been battling crime issues for years now. Although I think it has gotten better recently I wouldn't recommend living there.

OP, look in the Dr. Phillips area. Dr. Phillips High School is a great school as well (better than West Orange), and you should be able to find something in that price range (although the house might be a little older).

Remember, wherever you live in Orange County, your child can attend a magnet program at a better school somewhere else in the county. You would just have to give up bus service.
Metro West has many desirable single family homes. OP, do your own research on these "crime issues" and you will see that all of the Single Family Home developments are great. Any crimes that have been reported in the area have typically occurred in APARTMENTS... some of which are not even a part of Metro West. Stick to homes close to Hiawassee and you will probably find something that may work.

Dr. Phillips and Windermere BORDER Metro West so I'm not sure why folks make it seem like it there is this massive difference/distance between them. Realize that Dr. Phillips has some pretty low rent subdivisions that can't even compare to what you might find in Metro West's Fairway Cove, Palma Vista, or Vista Royale.

I'm sure all of the children and their families that walk up and down Hiawassee and Westpointe Blvd every day fear for their lives

OP, it sounds like you have a decent budget and want a gated community... for under 300K you are probably not going to find one in DP or Windermere.

I'm willing to bet that anything under 300K in DP or Windermere is not something that you will really want.... and definitely won't be in a gated community (except for Orangetree).

Since you have a 300K budget, I'm also willing to bet you will quickly cross off places like Sand Lake Hills, Clubhouse Estates, and Lake Cane.... perfectly fine places, but not nice enough to really justify the DP "allure" in my opinion.

With that being said.... Vista Royale off of WestPointe Blvd is a gated community in Metro West that offers everything you need. They don't come up very often (and get snapped up quickly), but I have seen some homes sold in there for less than 300K. It's a safe community where homeowners take alot of pride in their homes.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks, all!
This is all helpful info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
OP, it sounds like you have a decent budget and want a gated community... for under 300K you are probably not going to find one in DP or Windermere.
Yes, that is kind of what I suspected. It sounds like my suspicions may be correct. Right now I live on the east side of town and like my community (Stoneybrook East) and the schools. Have owned my house here for 12 years, but we are considering moving to the southwest side of town for a shorter commute time. Was looking for someting similar to what we have now; may have to also look at Stoneybrook West.

I am not really a fan of Metro West. Have been there a few times over the years and just never got a great vibe from it. I'm sure there are nice communities there, but it is a little too close to a not so nice area; maybe that is what is bothering me about it. Not sure. Have also heard that crime was an issue there, although I know crime happens everywhere.

We may just stay put for now until we find the right home and neighborhood. We are zoned for Timber Creek High School, which I am fine with. Need to do a little more research on West Orange HS. Was down in that area yesterday for a birthday party and see that there is some new construction going up off of 535 (Independence, etc.) Will also definitely consider Dr. Phillips, but we prefer newer construction, which is why I was gravitating away from DP and towards Windermere.

I also drove through Lakes of Windermere. It was okay, but not really what I am looking for. Didn't like the power lines going through. I need to check out Summerport, but I didn't have time yesterday, so will drive through it another day.

Last edited by keek29; 05-27-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 AM

793 posts, read 2,515,704 times
In the area of Independence, Summerport, Lakes of Windermere, that area is zoned Horizon West with no more gated communities per Orange County.

Horizon West is all about people meeting neighbors with community parks, bike/walking trails, lots of green space and community actives.

Check out Mabel Bridge with it's low HOA or SummerLake that includes cutting your grass and maintaining your trees and shrubs.

Don't know when you need access to the high school based on your child's age but they are slated to build another in the area.

Hope this helps,

Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
In the area of Independence, Summerport, Lakes of Windermere, that area is zoned Horizon West with no more gated communities per Orange County.

Horizon West is all about people meeting neighbors with community parks, bike/walking trails, lots of green space and community actives.
Ah; interesting. I hadn't heard about Horizon West. Thanks for the heads up; good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
Check out Mabel Bridge with it's low HOA or SummerLake that includes cutting your grass and maintaining your trees and shrubs.

Don't know when you need access to the high school based on your child's age but they are slated to build another in the area.

Hope this helps,
Funny you should mention Mabel Bridge because I did drive by there, but didn't have the time to stop by. That may be a good option for me.

I have heard mention of a new high school but didn't know the when or where. My child is still in elementary school, so I am looking ahead with regard to high schools.

Thanks, again! Your comments were very helpful.

Last edited by keek29; 05-27-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,555 times
Default Flashark

Quote:
Originally Posted by keek29 View Post
So it seems from another post that most of the more affordable homes in Windermere are zoned to West Orange.

Was interested in being zoned for Olympia High School, but my budget is under 300k. Are there any communities that fit the bill here, or should I be looking at West Orange High School? Also, would like to have something gated if possible, or am I asking for too much here? (Am flexible on the gated community.)

Any insight appreciated.
Call Darrell Nunnelley 407-467-8069 there are areas that outside of Windermere to get into Olympia. Same as West Orange, example The Willows, in Windermere, but zoned for West Orange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: