Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 85,023 times

Advertisements

i am a native floridian of 30 years now living in lake mary. i purchased a townhome in 2002 in lake mary and it's value has doubled since then. happy about that!

the problem is we were dropped by our insurance company nationwide in sept. this year. and to make matters worse citizen's and another no name company were the only ones that would talk to us for a new quote. now our home owner's association is proposing a huge increase in our monthly rates to cover this. we may be paying up to $350-400 a month instead of $190 which we currently pay.

Anyone else having this happen to them? if not, what insurance companies are you using so that i can refer my association to them asap! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! myself and others may not be able to afford such an increase and i am really considering selling now although i know i'll have a hard time with a monthly fee like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Sharp insurance increases, cancellations, companies leaving the state, refusals to take new policy applications are all part of the home insurance problem that is affecting the entire state.

However, if your insurance is only going up double, you may be fortunate. Insurance premiums are based on the value of everything except the land. You state your value has doubled. Would this not lead to an increase in the premium regardless of the hurricane scares?

As far as selling is concerned, it's likely that every similar property is facing a similar situation with a similar increase in fees, so a buyer is likely to be faced with the high fees no matter where in your area they go. If the fees do impact the sale, however, you should be able to compensate for that by discounting the selling price enough to offset the increase fees. You should still be able to sell at a price higher than you paid.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM

20 posts, read 85,023 times
yes i have taken all that into consideration and those are my thoughts exactly. i believe our association was also not on top of things and we were very underinsured to start with. i am hoping some people out there with have some insurance names to insure our community.

the state really need to hurry up and do something about the insurance problems in our state!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
I don't think States are very willing, aggressive and adept at lowering the skyrocketing costs of insurance, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: