U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 PM

24 posts, read 90,063 times

Advertisements

I would love any info about the area if winter garden vs windermere. I have been researching windermere for possible relocation from Philly and would like to know how winter garden compares in schools..homes...communities..close to shopping...close to Disney ...tx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM

793 posts, read 2,322,561 times
Where Windermere/Disney/WinterGarden come together is an area of focus of many buyers today due to schools, great neighborhoods and the ability to purchase existing or new homes.

Hope this helps,

Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM

139 posts, read 318,421 times
We live in Winter Garden, in Independence. I love it here, DH hates it. What would you like to know?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 PM

59 posts, read 147,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M&J View Post
We live in Winter Garden, in Independence. I love it here, DH hates it. What would you like to know?
My wife and I are considering moving to Orlando and we liked independence. Do you mind saying what you love about it and what your DH dislikes about? We liked the look and feel of the development and that there was a Publix close by. We liked the Lennar homes floor plan (Brentwood - the one story Model). The one thing I had concerns about was that there were some rental apartments within the community. How does having rental apartments so close affect the community, if any at all?

What is traffic like in the morning and afternoon getting to/from the toll road near Winter Garden Village (i think the road is 538)? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM

139 posts, read 318,421 times
DH just misses Maryland. He would not be happy anywhere in Florida, so don't take his dislike very seriously.

I like the 'feel' of the community, I like the wide sidewalks (when we lived in Maryland there were no sidewalks in our community and it was a pain at Halloween). I like that there are a lot of kids (we have 6 yr. old twins) and they keep running into classmates at the pool, playgrounds, grocery stores, etc. The school is very good and well run, with lots of parental involvement.

The apartments do not bother me, but DH does not like that the only basketball courts are near the apts. clubhouse. There was some incident there last week, some kids broke into an empty house, but the police was called and they were quickly removed. The apartment dwellers have their own clubhouse, and the couple of times we have been there it's been clean, although used. The clubhouse for the single family homes is very nice. We use the pool there often. The one thing that does bother me is that the high school bus drops the kids right before the elementary school one, and sometimes a few teens stay at the corner, talking loudly and swearing up a storm. We have tried talking to them, asking them not to swear in front of the little kids and confronting them, to no avail. I posted a message in the community's facebook page and then took a video with my phone camera of them and told them I was going to post it there so their parents would see how their kids behave outside. After that they have not done it.

I don't shop much at Publix because they're kind of expensive, we usually shop at either the SuperTarget at Fowler Groves or the Bravo's in Winter Garden.

The traffic on 545 to 429 is absolutely HORRIBLE; however the construction to expand the road is almost done (it was supposed to be finished in April ) and that should ease traffic a lot. If you need to get to 429, there is a backway that is a little longer but you do not hit any traffic. I commute to Metro West, and either take backroads or go the backway to 429.

We live close to the back entrance, and we have a wonderful view of the Disney fireworks everynight.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM

24 posts, read 90,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M&J View Post
Hi, what I would like to know are everyday things like how close is shopping? restaurants? I have lived my entire life in a city and really have no idea how far developments are from "civilization". Also what is the difference between Winter Garden and Winderemere in terms of schools? I am a teacher hoping and praying to get a job in Orange county so that we could move there soon and my son is going into 2nd grade so schools are very important.
People- how friendly and wlecoming are people to newcomers? neighbors? we hope to start a good life with new friends for us and our son and want to live somewhere that people are friendly.
You mention that you live in Independece, is that Winter Garden or a devlopment? I am not familiar with the area in person, just by researching online. We are planning to come down in Aug to get the feel of the area. I would love to hear from you and if you want to email me privately that woudl be fine too. my address is dm50214@yahoo.com thanks in advance for the info!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 29,281 times
We too are looking to move to that area. My husband has been offered a position with Disney and his office would be in Celebration. The realtor keeps trying to get us to look at homes in Orlando near Metrowest? I would prefer the Winter Garden/Windermere area. Can anyone tell me a good "neighborhood" to look in? We have 5 dogs (small quiet, well behaved dogs) so it would have to be an area whos HOA follows the county guidelines for animals. But other than that we just want a nice, clean, mainly crime free area where I dont have to worry about leaving the house area.

I realize no where is completely crime free but Im trying to avoid the thugs and gang bangers (I am coming from Chicago and have moved so far away from the city due to recent crime increases I am nearly in Wisconsin).

I dont mean to sound snobby or anything I just dont want to have to worry about our home or family like I did when I lived in Chicago.

Any help you could give would be so appreciated!! I am ready to drop this realtor because hes not helping me at all.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM

11 posts, read 51,251 times
Wink Winter Garden/Windermere

Quote:
I would love any info about the area if winter garden vs windermere. I have been researching windermere for possible relocation from Philly and would like to know how winter garden compares in schools..homes...communities..close to shopping...close to Disney ...tx
Winter Garden and Windermere are next door neighbors. But they are quite different. Windermere has very expensive homes, going into the multi millions. It is unique and beautifully, a great place to live if you can find something reasonably priced.
Winter Garden on the other hand has much more reasonable home prices. Many very good neighborhoods. South Winter Garden is a bit more up scale than WG north of rt 50. Down town old Winter Garden is absolutely beautifully. The farmers market every Saturday is terrific.
Winter Garden also has the best shopping center in West Orange County and that is Winter Garden Village at Fowler Groves. Easy access from Windermere as well.
Traffic is quite reasonable at just about any time of day. 535 is getting expanded right now and that is causing big problems. But once finished, traffic will move great on 535. 429 and the Florida's Turnpike traffic is some of the least congested in Orange County, almost never a problem.
As far as schools, I can only comment on West Orange High from experience. My daughter is attending at present. It is a very good high school. No complaints from me.
To sum up - this is one of the most impressive areas in Central Florida. I live in Winter Garden and love it here and it takes me 12 minutes from my neighborhood gate to the closest entrance to Disney World.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,840,308 times
Windermere, at least the area around its historic yet small downtown, is more upscale than Winter Garden. Winter Garden has a very pretty downtown area but the neighborhoods around it are iffy. If I were to look at Winter Garden I would stick south of Colonial Drive, closer to Windermere. Schools in Windermere are generally higher rated. Look for homes zoned for Olympia High School rather than West Orange High School.

You might also want to add Dr. Phillips to your search. It has great schools, great shopping and restaurants, and is still very close to Disney. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 AM

388 posts, read 718,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Windermere, at least the area around its historic yet small downtown, is more upscale than Winter Garden. Winter Garden has a very pretty downtown area but the neighborhoods around it are iffy. If I were to look at Winter Garden I would stick south of Colonial Drive, closer to Windermere. Schools in Windermere are generally higher rated. Look for homes zoned for Olympia High School rather than West Orange High School.

You might also want to add Dr. Phillips to your search. It has great schools, great shopping and restaurants, and is still very close to Disney. Good luck!
What brink said is pretty much spot on. It all depends on the specifics you are looking for. If you're fine with developments with cookie cutter homes right next to each other, than Winter Garden south of Colonial may fit the bill. I actually prefer the developments in Windermere like Summerport and Lakes of Windermere, and when it was time to buy a home, family did as well.

The style and vibe north of colonial around downtown Winter Garden is more my speed, but street to street there are differences, and it's hard to find a home there that's been updated, yet still retains the character of the area. This is what most people would say is a "real neighborhood" as most of the homes were built before the 80's. The trees hang with spanish moss and the roads are brick. The convenience to downtown/winter park and disney isn't great, because the only real outlet is colonial, and you need to drive a ways to pick up the turnpike. If the economy weren't in the toilet right now, I think this area would be tops for people looking for a great investment, and be a part of a resurgence in downtown. I just don't think the businesses there attract enough people with disposable income, save the chef's table. We have friends that live there, but suffice it to say, it'd take a bit more gentrification to purchase there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando