Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:06 AM

9 posts, read 149,575 times

Advertisements

So many comments about so many places..how about someone narrows it down to within half an hours drive of Orlando..name 4 good places to live with good schools and activities for kids. Someone told me to check Windemere???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 AM

99 posts, read 553,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_e_t_e View Post
So many comments about so many places..how about someone narrows it down to within half an hours drive of Orlando..name 4 good places to live with good schools and activities for kids. Someone told me to check Windemere???
I bought a big house in South Winter Garden just North of Windermere in a brand new development. I have two young children and I think the area is quite nice. There will be a new open air mall built next year which will being convenience to shopping etc.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM

167 posts, read 971,400 times
I would say the Windermere area is top which is around the Dr. Philips area and has good restaurants, shopping, I-4 etc. Don't know much about the school situation, but would guess since those areas are well to do, the schools are probably A plus...

Old 09-21-2006, 12:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
Default Best Places within 30 minutes from Orlando

First, let me say that 30 minutes in typical rush-hour traffic will get you from Winter Park, Maitland, and maybe Altamonte, to down town Orlando. I live in Winter Springs (north-east of Orlando) and my typical morning commute is 40 minutes.

Personally, if you are looking for a 30 minute commute or less, the Best place would probably be Winter Park. Windermere is also very nice, but I'd say you are looking at about a 40-50 minute commute in the morning. Also a litter further out would be Heathrow, Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Maitland (that would be less than 30 minute commute). For the most part, I like the North East quadrent. I also like the far South West quadrent (i.e. Windermere area).

Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM

152 posts, read 622,633 times
Where will you be working? This will pretty much determine where you live. When you say Orlando do you mean the down town area?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 AM

Because Orlando doesn't have huge sky-scrapers downtown, people tend to forget just how big (area wise) this city really is.

Just for kicks and giggles, I took out two maps, one of Orlando, one of Atlanta - two cities that I am very familiar with. Now, everyone thinks that Orlando is a small town compared to Atlanta, right? And, if you are comparing downtown to downtown, you'd be correct.

But, the Greater Orlando Area is really not that much smaller than the Greater Atlanta Area. It is about 50 miles from Champion's Gate, along I4 to Debary. It is about 40 miles from east-bithlo to west Clermonte. Don't forget Chulliota and Geneva in the North-East corner; St. Cloud and Ponciana in the South East corner; Do we now have to include the entire Deland area - I know many people who have moved up to Deland and commute in to Orlando? What about Mt. Dora, Taveres, Eustis, Howey-in-the-Hills?

Where exactly does Greater Orlando stop?

Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 108,447 times
What about Mt Dora? it took us about 45mins to drive there from Kissimmee. There are some lovely houses there too.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 AM

I'm a big fan of Mt. Dora! Near Mt. Dora is a little known community called Howey-In-The-Hills (actuall name, I'm not making this up). These two places are true gems that someday people will be scratching their heads asking "why didn't we move there when we could buy a nice house for $350,000?"

In the late '90's I remember seeing a nice red brick house on Lake Dora selling for about $300,000. I ask myself the above question every day.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:41 PM

44 posts, read 275,272 times
Default St. Cloud

St. Cloud/Osceola county less than hr. to Orlando. New entrance to turnpike under construction in s. st. cloud. will reduce that time further probably. prices less than windermere, dr. phillips, etc. Growing area, but still small town atmosphere. HAd 2 kids go thru school here, not as bad as some areas, not as good as others. No perfect place I know of anywhere. Boy Scout Troop 192 in St. Cloud is excellent. My son became Eagle Scout w/them. [cut]
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Marka; 09-25-2006 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please

Old 01-03-2007, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 128,842 times
Melbourne is the best place to live. Right on the ocean, 30-40 min. drive to Orlando, one of the best schools in the state, very safe and family friendly. And no traffic Check out Malabar area, they have A+ school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando