Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,114 times

Advertisements

We are moving from NYC to Lake Nona in a month and we want to get advice on Trinity Prep to Lake highland prep. Which is a better private school for middle schooler. Also any advice on living in Lake NOna
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM

57 posts, read 158,664 times
Since I don't know your specific situation, my information will be more general. If you can tell us your specific goals, like if you plan on renting or buying, what prices you are considering, and where your occupation is, we can give you a more helpful answer.

Anyway, I can't give personal anecdotes for the schools myself, as I have never attended nor knew anyone or any parents who had children attend either of these schools, but GreatSchools.org does give parent and student reviews, as well as the scores for FCAT and highlights for each school. Here they are!

Trinity Prep: Trinity Preparatory School - Winter Park, Florida - FL - School overview

Lake Highland Prep: Lake Highland Preparatory School - Orlando, Florida - FL - School overview

Although, I do have a concern with your choice of area. Lake Nona, while having a very progressive goal in mind for Orlando with its new beautiful neighborhoods and medical field expansion, is a developing area very FAR away from these prep schools. Both schools are a bit more central to Orlando, being close to Winter Park and Audubon Park, and commute would be literally be a stretch to go either one. Lake Nona is situated in the far south-eastern part of Orange County, practically brushing against the Orange/Osceola county line (Kissimmee). Both schools are directly east of Orlando.

To be closer to these schools, neighborhoods to check out would be Baldwin Park, Audubon Park, Maitland, Old Winter Park (area around Rollins College and Park Avenue), and College Park. They do come at a price though, and homes are much more expensive.

If it's a job situation, like you will be working for the new Medical City, I do recommend perhaps looking for a house in between the two areas. Conway would be a great place to start looking. The area around Conway does have older homes and neighborhoods, which is something to keep in mind. Whatever you do, for Conway (and if you also consider Baldwin Park), stay away from the 436/Semoran. Very rough road with heavy congestion and higher possibility for crime.

As for Lake Nona itself? It's as I said earlier, a very new area. Lots of pasture land, trees, and developing houses and neighborhoods. Shopping and retail is sparse at the moment, but it does have plans to open up a few town center areas starting in the fall of this year to cater to the new neighborhoods. Besides the new neighborhoods, it has a large Publix with some franchise restaurants in a plaza and a 7-11. A bit down the road you'll see a Kohl's, an Aldi, and a Walgreens, if I'm not mistaken. Right now, for travel, the most convenient road is the 417/Greenway, which is a toll road, something to consider, and the only other road is Narcoossee. To learn more about Lake Nona and its plans for the future- Lake Nona

Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 PM

56 posts, read 168,658 times
If your kids are strong academically, Trinity Prep is the better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando