Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,583,818 times

Advertisements

The past week or so, I have been seenig more and more SUPER slow drivers on John Young Pkwy between Hunters Creek Blvd and Sand Lake Rd usually in the left lane going 40 or less, in a 55 MPH ZONE!

I know that this has been discussed about people doing it on I-4, but I wanted to know if anybody else here has seen these selfish slow Sunday drivers on the road where the rest of you live or if this problem is exclusive to John Young Parkway, the main road in and out of the south side of Orlando?

Its gotten extremely aggravating lately. These people may not have somewhere to be but usually I DO, and I'd like to get there in a reasonable amount of time

Often these slow drivers are either one of 3

-Yakking away on their cell phone
-Texting and driving
-Or just driving slow for no apparent reason

Can the Orange County Sheriff or FHP do anything about these people? Isn't there some sort of law against impeding the flow of traffic? Because thats exactly what these people are doing. I'm seeing a lot on 528 too between JYP and I-4, people going 45-50 in a 55 zone

A lot of other drivers are taking notice as well and Im seeing a lot of people out there getting severe road rage because of these selfish drivers who just flip you off when you honk at them for going too damn slow. The county needs to do something about this before one of these slow drivers gets to a red light and the driver behind them gets out and strangles them

Sorry everybody....rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
yeah it gets annoying on that stretch. it also needs to be widened

Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 PM

25 posts, read 100,631 times
It's not just South Orlando DavieJ89. I was recently in town house hunting and found the same chronic condition just about everywhere. The ones I love are those who climb your butt even though you are doing ten over the speed limit and then pass, cut in front of you, then slow to ten BELOW the speed limit because they get a phone call or a text.

I also enjoyed those who, with no regard to anyone else, stopped in the middle of the narrow throughways of parking lots and residential streets to chat to someone, check their fast food order, type a text, or let someone out taking their good old time instead of pulling out of the way or into one of the many nearby parking spaces. I ran into this situation many times the past three weeks as well as the numerous encounters with left lane zombies.

Still, coming from Pittsburgh, driving in Orlando is overall wonderful in comparison. Texting while driving is now illegal here in Pittsburgh and the impact of the new law has been... negligible. There are just more drivers now mysteriously looking down at their crotch while driving.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM

20 posts, read 33,542 times
I just moved from Dallas and thought this is how driving in Florida is. I thought people are laid back and had nowhere to be on time.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
I remember in my area (32828) seeing people pull over on the side of the road - but still in the way - to text or make a call. I remember going 25mph in a residential zone and people passing me for going the speed limit (in a subdivision). I remember all types of stuff when it comes to driving there.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:41 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
It happens everywhere here.....

Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
yeah it gets annoying on that stretch. it also needs to be widened
Between Sand Lake and 528 yes it does. They also need to widen John Young from 6 lanes to 8 lanes from 528 down to the Orange/Osceola line

Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,207,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The past week or so, I have been seenig more and more SUPER slow drivers on John Young Pkwy between Hunters Creek Blvd and Sand Lake Rd usually in the left lane going 40 or less, in a 55 MPH ZONE!

I know that this has been discussed about people doing it on I-4, but I wanted to know if anybody else here has seen these selfish slow Sunday drivers on the road where the rest of you live or if this problem is exclusive to John Young Parkway, the main road in and out of the south side of Orlando?

Its gotten extremely aggravating lately. These people may not have somewhere to be but usually I DO, and I'd like to get there in a reasonable amount of time

-Texting and driving

Can the Orange County Sheriff or FHP do anything about these people? Isn't there some sort of law against impeding the flow of traffic? Because thats exactly what these people are doing. I'm seeing a lot on 528 too between JYP and I-4, people going 45-50 in a 55 zone

A lot of other drivers are taking notice as well and Im seeing a lot of people out there getting severe road rage because of these selfish drivers who just flip you off when you honk at them for going too damn slow. The county needs to do something about this before one of these slow drivers gets to a red light and the driver behind them gets out and strangles them

Well I couldn't have said it better, since both of us lives in the same general area (South Orlando)

Old 05-23-2012, 04:40 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

-Texting and driving

There's an easy solution for you ... go around them and move on. You will need a good-sized army to fight the entitlement and "me-first" mentality people feel in today's world. The roads are just one example and it's not just happening in Florida.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
There's an easy solution for you ... go around them and move on. You will need a good-sized army to fight the entitlement and "me-first" mentality people feel in today's world. The roads are just one example and it's not just happening in Florida.
And Im going to agree with you on this one leftee

Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more drivers in the middle and right lanes (at the front of the pack too!) going 40-45 mph on John Young so I can rarely get around slow drivers these days

I've been weaving in and out of lanes lately on that road and got a warning for aggressive driving right near John Young and Deerfield Blvd

Can drivers be given tickets for going to slow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando