Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
Nope, 30 something year old snowbird who can do all my work through my computer. I live in Florida during the winters where I own a place I can comfortably afford and rent in Montana during the summers. Lived in the midwest and east cost before choosing to live in two places that make me happiest.

Glad to see you're finally moving after all these years, I hope your new place is everything you hope it to be and it can finally bring you some happiness.
Ah, I missed the snowbird part ... so you don't spend summers here ? Montana is a place I've always wanted to visit ... maybe when my daughter is a little older.

Thanks for the kind wishes ... we're looking forward to a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

44 posts, read 65,259 times
Thanks for all the responses. If I was coming from anywhere but San Diego, I'd be less hesitant to go to Orlando. I like new places...etc. But growing up in Maryland/Northern Virginia, I'm just still enamored with San Diego's climate and having the beach so close. It's hard to leave the best climate on earth IMO......I'm almost willing to start job hunting instead and take a pay cut to stay here...since it's uncomfortably warm here maybe 1 or 2 weeks out of the year.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
Thanks for all the responses. If I was coming from anywhere but San Diego, I'd be less hesitant to go to Orlando. I like new places...etc. But growing up in Maryland/Northern Virginia, I'm just still enamored with San Diego's climate and having the beach so close. It's hard to leave the best climate on earth IMO......I'm almost willing to start job hunting instead and take a pay cut to stay here...since it's uncomfortably warm here maybe 1 or 2 weeks out of the year.

Yeah if you think San Diego's weather is perfect than Orlando probabaly would not be a good place to live. I think Orlando's weather is perfect! With the exception of the few weeks of cold temperatures. But I thrive in heat and humidity.

See weather is important , so if it matters your decision to stay may actually work for you as opposed to hear.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 AM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
I run and can tell you that if you are willing to get up early, the best time to run is between 5-7. I am goiing to run a half marathon so I am out the door by 5:15 AM. It is cooler, muggy but when the weather does cool down, you can run a little later. The advantage to training in Florida is conditioning in heat. My Florida friends who ran the Boston this past year did great in the heat wave Boston had that day while the northerners had heat issues. You will be amazed after training in the heat how much better you will run when the cooler months come around. Nov-Mar is a good time to run races. Seems like our climate is warming up a tad, so who knows, running in the heat may be an asset.

Oh yeah, about the dogs, maybe your wife could walk them?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

28 posts, read 48,845 times
ITs been brutal this past week running. Saturday morning I set out at 5AM and at mile 8 I was swimming. So humid.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
I run and can tell you that if you are willing to get up early, the best time to run is between 5-7. I am goiing to run a half marathon so I am out the door by 5:15 AM. It is cooler, muggy but when the weather does cool down, you can run a little later. The advantage to training in Florida is conditioning in heat. My Florida friends who ran the Boston this past year did great in the heat wave Boston had that day while the northerners had heat issues. You will be amazed after training in the heat how much better you will run when the cooler months come around. Nov-Mar is a good time to run races. Seems like our climate is warming up a tad, so who knows, running in the heat may be an asset.

Oh yeah, about the dogs, maybe your wife could walk them?
Thanks for the advice. I agree with you about heat conditioning. I train sometimes in "heat" here too....but that means sunny, low 80s and low humidity usually.

As far as running from 5:30-7am..etc...just not going to happen most likely. I'm often stuck working late for my job.....getting up at 6 or 7 is often challenging due to my hours. Late afternoons if not lunchtime are the best for me.

Visited Orlando this weekend for work. Obviously not the best time to get a feel for the place since it was brutally hot this weekend there. But I'll probably do my hardest to stay put in San Diego. I'm a fairly serious runner....just seems crazy for me to move to a much warmer place. I'm sure I'll find something here should my job go away. I'd take a paycut to stay here for sure.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I've run a bunch of marathons and halves and think I can give you some good insight. If you try to run in the mornings, you'll have less heat but higher humidity. On those days I feel like I can never get my pores closed no matter how many times I shower.

I prefer the heat and less humidity of the late afternoons and evenings. I love a seven pm run!

However on long days all bets are off and I'll get up at 4:30am to run twenty and get it out of the way.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
I'm new to long distance running as I signed up to run the Disney marathon in January,before doing this the most I ever ran was 9-10 miles.Last week I just went for a 13 mile run ( basically a half marathon) at 10:30pm,I've never been one to get up real early for anything and since I had off the next day I said go for it to see how I would feel.I ran the 13 miles at a nice comfortable pace like what I plan to do in the marathon in 2 hours 25 minutes and felt great the whole way,it was still pretty warm out until around midnight when you could feel that it cooled off significantly.I still came back soaked in sweat but that's gotta be expected in July.Today I went for a run at a local track in the middle of the day with the temperatures around 93 degrees,I did like 4 miles and stopped as the heat was just out of control.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
My husband gets up early and runs in the morning. He takes the dog for a quick walk first then a longer walk as part of his cool down. He runs 35-70 miles a week.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My husband gets up early and runs in the morning. He takes the dog for a quick walk first then a longer walk as part of his cool down. He runs 35-70 miles a week.
That's impressive. Can your husband IM me? Wondering how bad it is running outside of the summer months. I don't mind treadmilling it in the hot months. But I can't see myself doing that more than 3 months out of the year or I'd go insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando