Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,938 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be moving soon to Sanford in the area mentioned in the title, (SR 46 and Wekiva River)
I do realize this is bear country and it is the woods, but I am just wondering if they will be standing outside my car when I go to get in my car with my children.

I have never lived in the country which is why I'm asking and I'm pretty scared, okay terrified.
To me, seeing ducks are a big deal. I'm already thinking that I will have to get home before sundown so that I don't have to walk into the house in the dark. (You see... I won't have a garage and I'm petrified, thinking I may have made the worst decision taking this new place)

Any suggestions? I have 2 little ones and we will have a bit of a walk around the house to get to our car and when we leave in the morning for school in the winter, it's going to be dark and well you get the idea. I'm freakin out folks.

Also, will they be scratching on the outside of the walls of the house at night? Like, will I be hearing all kinds of crazy sounds or am I overreacting? Can they get in your home?

Is there something I can buy to carry with me in case we come upon one? Air horn? Anything?
Panic button on my car's keyfob?

Thanks.

Do they climb wood privacy fences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Don't move somewhere that terrifies you. Problem solved!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Bears aren't typically fond of humans so if you take precautions, it probably won't be an issue. First and foremost is to not leave anything outside that bears would find attractive as a food source, which primarily refers to household waste. Since you do not have a garage, invest in a locking trash can which keeps garbage odors contained and bears away.
Bear Proof Garbage Can In A 95 Gallon Wheeled Container

Also, if you use a charcoal or gas grill make sure it is cleaned thoroughly after use. Bird seed is also something they're attracted to so be mindful of that.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM

Thanks Kyle. 912.. it's something I can afford at the moment so I don't have alot of options. I didn't think about the bears until I starting googling Bears in Sanford and found all the Youtube videos.

Is there something I can buy to carry with me to walk from the house to the car in the early mornings? any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:38 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,315 times
While I think you're overreacting just a wee bit (I live in grizzly country during the summer and rarely give it a second thought), there are things you can do.
DON'T
-Leave food / garbage / pet food / bird feeders / anything they can eat out. Bears are attracted to good (or rotten) smelling food and any easy sources of food. If there's nothing to eat they'll have no reason to be there.
DO
-Get a can of 'bear spray.' Again I think you're probably overreacting but it will make you feel safer and that's probably the most important thing. You can get it through Amazon or many other online retailers.

Above all, relax. Unless you get between a mother and a cub or accidentally corner one somehow they don't want anything to do with you and will run. Unless you have a bowl full of bacon grease sitting just inside the screen door bears aren't going to be scratching at your walls or trying to bust in. Per Wikipedia, there has never been a fatal black bear attack in Florida List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's some more info from FWC
Human/Bear Encounters

Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks! I have 2 little boys who are even afraid of dogs and if they ever saw a bear, they couldn't possibly stay calm enough to make it safely back into the house or into the car. It would be a disaster. They're under age 5.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cduser2012 View Post
Thanks! I have 2 little boys who are even afraid of dogs and if they ever saw a bear, they couldn't possibly stay calm enough to make it safely back into the house or into the car. It would be a disaster. They're under age 5.
While a respect for animals is healthy, paralyzing fear is not. Particularly if unwarranted. We have a fairly nice zoo here in Sanford and visiting might be a good way to get them past that fear. Animals largely are wonderful creatures, and a lot less scary than most humans in my opinion. For the record, there aren't any Bears at this zoo. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM

Thanks!!! I appreciate all your help.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM

511 posts, read 854,722 times
Also camping stores have a spray product to repel bears, go get some and have a bit of piece of mind for you and your children..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM

288 posts, read 734,035 times
There are bears around, but it's not like the area is covered up with them or anything and it is highly doubtful that they will be lying in wait for an attack. They are interested in food and in protecting their young. They also seem to know the nights before garbage day so I wouldn't go out for a late night walk at those times. Whenever I take my dog for a walk I carry a very loud stun gun because the noise scares most creatures away, like dogs that escape from their homes and want to run up and play. Like every place and everywhere it's always a good idea to keep your eyes and ears open and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando