Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 AM

511 posts, read 849,799 times

Advertisements

^^^ Yep and all of that is bollo**s too... It's mostly in your mind and not based on reality but merely unjustified paranoia and your lack of reasoning bares witness to that.. Obviously you think someone who takes a piece of garbage from a junk pile just because it happens to be located on a construction site should be classed as a lifetime felon for doing so? Rubbish!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,148,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
^^^ Yep and all of that is bollo**s too... It's mostly in your mind and not based on reality but merely unjustified paranoia and your lack of reasoning bares witness to that.. Obviously you think someone who takes a piece of garbage from a junk pile just because it happens to be located on a construction site should be classed as a lifetime felon for doing so? Rubbish!!
Yes because those who trespass on construction sites risking felonies and jail time go in there to steal worthless junk. Please refer back to line 3 and start your help the felons cause. It's a great cause I recommend you do it and let me know how that goes.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,904,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
I would never hire a known convicted felon. Here's why:

1). Legal liability - Because there're ambulance chasers, employers are taking too much risk when hiring a felon. For example if the felon has a violent past, he's hired and beats up an employee, that employee can sue the owner for negligence.

2). Behaviors don't change easily - You can call them the product of the system, but people thatre convicted felons are classified just for that reason. They commit acts that majority of good people won't commit. Most of the times felons have a long history of felonies/misdemeanors. This applies to hiring when an employee comes in and says I'm a great person just give me a chance. From experience that's a 1:15 to 1:20 ratio meaning for every 1 that'll be okay 15-20 will cause harm to your business usually for the same reasons of their felonies, drugs, assault, theft, take ur pick.

3). They deserve a second chance? - The same people proclaiming this, this is what I'd recommend. The next time you need something done around the house, hire a convicted felon, give that person that second chance at life because they paid their dues. Or next time you want somebody watching your kids, hire a convicted felon as long as they havent been convicted of crimes against children or are sexual offenders, what's the big deal?

4). Background screening - Most companies go through background checks and red mark any felons because it could cost them their jobs. If a manager hires a known thief and that person steals on the job, the manager could face termination for hiring that person to begin with.

Not all felons are bad. Yes, there are a group that are repeat offenders but there are one time offenders that made a mistake. Let me give an example: I know someone that was caught with her boyfriend's prescription medication in her purse. She was holding it for him because he didn't have a bag and he had to take it every four hours. She ended up with a felony for that and has never been in trouble before for anything. Most people don't know that carrying somebody's prescription or having pills in a M,T,W container is illegal. Does that make her a bad person....NO!

My husband has had felons work for him in the past. They have been good workers and no problems whatsoever. I have had felons do work at my house or work on my car as well. Therefore, I think you should think about the situation and not just that the person has a felony. Just my 2 cents.

Back on subject, there are jobs to had as a felon.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times
OP..Please don't let the naysayers and negative people get you down.

Some think that just because they are on the internet it's ok to put people down and argue.

I would rather hire a felon that has done his/her time with experience than a wet behind the ears preppie that thinks the world owes them something.

Don't give up! Being willing to work is never a sin.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:20 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,526 times
Felon is a term all too loosely thrown around and applied this day and age, especially in FL. Many people are herded into the system and through plea deals are branded felons even if they are innocent. Who in their right mind is gonna gamble on a trial where prosecutors can exclude exonerating evidence and the State is threatening 3+ years in prison or sign this paper and you can go home today on a tether or community control? Not to many people I know unless they have deep pockets for top notch defense.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM

116 posts, read 261,039 times
Just about every state has a form of diversion or probation that allows a first time felon to have their record expunged if they meet certain requirements . Of course this doesnt apply to serious or violent felonies. Generally if the person still has a non violent felony on their record it is because they are a repeat offender or did not live up to the conditions of their diversion. This is a one time deal though and there are no free second bites at the apple. It's a tragedy that a person's mistakes can change the course of the rest of their lives and it is so important to think of the ramifications of their bad decisions. I wish the best to the OP and hope things will work out. Check with the various social services there are programs available!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,145,148 times
I thought after 7 years a first time offender can file for an expungement if the crime wasn't too serious ? When an expungement is granted, the person whose record is expunged may, for most purposes, treat the event as if it never occurred.

Each jurisdiction whose law allows expungement has its own definitions of expungement proceedings. Generally, expungement is the process to "remove from general review" the records pertaining to a case. In many jurisdictions, however, the records may not completely "disappear" and may still be available to law enforcement, to sentencing judges on subsequent offenses, and to corrections facilities to which the individual may be sentenced on subsequent convictions.

I would check it out in the area you live in ... Go down to the county courthouse.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 PM

12 posts, read 81,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Horribly judgmental people!

Has he thought of self-employment?

Many blue-collar, private companies might hire him - especially if he is well-qualified, has experience, and presents himself well.
Thanks!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,526 times
Used to be violent or sexual offenses in FL- never eligible for expungement , your stuck with it for life. Probably all felonies are ineligible now and what difference does it make if you got it expunged? The County of commitment is still gonna leave the arrest up on their public info site.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 AM

511 posts, read 849,799 times
^But being arrested is not the same as being convicted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando