Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:46 PM

24 posts, read 103,092 times

Advertisements

I have been researching windermere and winter garten for possible relocation...I have come across Avalon Park and it seems to be a great self contained neighborhood? I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me about the neighborhood. Is it comparable to wi dermere or winter garden? I would love to hear responses to help. It seems like it is close to shopping restaurants etc...but not sure if it is nice in community but not by suurounding areas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 05:07 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I busy a lot of stuff on CL from people in Avalon Park. They don't like it. Do some further checking if you decided to buy a home there.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM

188 posts, read 276,859 times
There's no place like Windermere, this is coming from a 4 year resident. +1 for windermere

Old 07-22-2012, 06:57 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Windermere or Avalon Pk.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
The last seller told me there were they were disappointed by the quality of construction, distance/traffic to Orlando and alot of foreclosed homes. I looked AP when we bought up here 4 years ago and did not like the travel time.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Windermere / Winter Garden is a great choice a mix of older and currently being built new communities, chain of lakes for boating, shopping close by and more on the way as area continues to grow.

Hope this helps,

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM

70 posts, read 258,457 times
We had looked at the AP area but wanted to have easy access to the parks since I may try to work there and we planned to go (and have succeeded in going!) to the Disney parks frequently. AP will have you either using toll roads to get most places or going through lots of traffic lights.

We ended up on the SW edge of Windermere and love it for access to Disney and Winter Garden shopping. However, getting to Dr. Phillips or other areas off I-4 is not very convenient since you have to go north to get on toll roads or go through downtown Windermere (which is GORGEOUS but slow going since the 30 MPH limit is strictly enforced - and necessary considering house/road placement).

You kind of need to figure out what you will be doing, where you will be going, etc. to decide on where to live. For example, we use the Dr. Phillips YMCA for our gym and the kids' swim lessons and most of the doctors we've found and use are in Dr. Phillips. So, we do a lot of 25-30 min trips for day-to-day activities. We are renting and love the area but not sure we will buy in the same area; except that I don't want to have to change my son's school again...so, may have to suck up the driving inconvenience.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM

207 posts, read 1,034,361 times
Yeah, a lot depends on where you think you'll be driving. For us, Avalon Park is a perfect location as far as work and family and easy beach/airport access go. We are not big on the theme parks so don't worry about going to the West side very much. Avalon is a mix bag in terms of housing and people. There are some really nice pockets with excellent custom homes, then there are the builder tracts where everything looks the same. On the plus side, the schools are all A rated, the community has its own doctor, dentist, supermarkets, restaurants, gas station, CVS, even a Starbucks up the road. So there is A LOT here. Plenty of parks, too. Price are good, yes there are still a lot of foreclosures and vacancies, but that is not because Avalon is a bad place, it just got built at the wrong time (during the boom). Worth a look if you do not need to drive to the West side constantly. Btw, Windemere and Winter Garden seem kind of old to me, like where retired people would go. You'll find Avalon has much younger people, I suspect (if that matters to you).

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
AYS

7 posts, read 18,212 times
Traffic from Avalon Park to downtown Orlando or anywhere else south is a nightmare. I have also talked to many people who are very sorry they moved to Avalon Park. I would suggest Windermere, Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, or MetroWest.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 PM

15 posts, read 44,997 times
i have lived in avalon park for 6 years, i have children in the high school,middle and elementary school, as well as the pre k that are all self contained in this community, we consider ourselves lucky to live in such a neighborhood in this day and age..our kids are getting to experience life as we knew it as kids, and by we i don't mean just my husband and i , i mean my neighbors who are also friends. The drive to the west side would be a huge downfall to living in avalon park, but i don't see much else as being a problem, my home was built in 2005 and i have had no real issues with it..its not built better or worse then the home i had in lake nona or Dr phillips. Our school is an A rated school and if you do research we are often first place in a lot of competitions with other schools in the NATION..not just orange county..its also a blue ribbon school, its like having private education. yes its that good..i really get upset when i hear people who don't live here say bad things about my community, i feel blessed to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando