Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 15,963 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband recently accepted a promotion to a job in Orlando, Florida so him, myself and our 3 kids will soon be moving across the country to the area! We are visiting in a month and will be looking at different areas to move to.

We are an Orthodox Jewish family and wish to find somewhere we can happily practice our faith and lifestyle with ease. I know that Orlando is not like where we are from (New York metro & San Francisco Bay) but I was hoping that we could at have advice in finding a synagogue in the area, and possibly a Jewish-based private school for our kids, who are 11, 7 and 3 1/2. A kosher market would be wonderful too.

We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom home to purchase in a safe, diverse neighborhood around $400-500,000. My husband will be working in what I believe in the southern part of the city, off Kirkman (or Kirkton...I am not sure) Road. I am a stay at home mom.

My husband is also considering an adjunct professorship at Embry Riddle College, in Daytona Beach. How bad of a drive would that be?

I've seen many scary things about Orlando, and I hope to hear something positive. This is an amazing opportunity for my husband, and we are settled on our relocation.

My main desire is to find a safe and acceptive place to live for my family.

Many thank you's and blessings!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 04:18 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I'm not totally sure about temples, but Maitland has a sizable Jewish community as well as a JCC as well as nice neighborhoods. It's not really "diverse", but a pretty accepting community. I'm also not sure about meat markets, but there is a kosher deli in town, called Amira's if memory serves me right, in Altamonte Springs. The commute to Kirkman will take at least 40 minutes, but I can't really think of any areas further south that I would want to live, except for maybe Dr. Phillips. Also, the drive to Daytona will take at least an hour.

JCC Orlando

Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,031 times
Don't know if this Synagogue is Orthodox but here is the link Our Chabad Center - Chabad of South Orlando (http://www.jewishorlando.com/templates/articlecco.htm/aid/61731/jewish/Our-Chabad-Center.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 PM

14 posts, read 121,272 times
Go ahead and investigate, but you'll find your 1st, 2nd , and 3rd choice will be Maitland. You need to visit first.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviroshani View Post
in a safe, diverse neighborhood
Outside of a couple gentrified areas in NYC and Chicago (and maybe a few other metro areas), there is no such thing as a "safe, diverse neighborhood" assuming that actual "safety" and actual "diversity" are honestly measured in contrast.

In Orlando, your choices are either "white and safe" or "diverse" and less safe.

You will find a direct corollary between "diversity" in Orlando and real estate prices, too. Less "diversity" the higher RE values will be. Not meaning to sound like the grinch here, but it's the truth nevertheless.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 PM

14 posts, read 121,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Outside of a couple gentrified areas in NYC and Chicago (and maybe a few other metro areas), there is no such thing as a "safe, diverse neighborhood" assuming that actual "safety" and actual "diversity" are honestly measured in contrast.

In Orlando, your choices are either "white and safe" or "diverse" and less safe.

You will find a direct corollary between "diversity" in Orlando and real estate prices, too. Less "diversity" the higher RE values will be. Not meaning to sound like the grinch here, but it's the truth nevertheless.
What is your definition of diverse?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:17 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviroshani View Post
Hello! My husband recently accepted a promotion to a job in Orlando, Florida so him, myself and our 3 kids will soon be moving across the country to the area! We are visiting in a month and will be looking at different areas to move to.

We are an Orthodox Jewish family and wish to find somewhere we can happily practice our faith and lifestyle with ease. I know that Orlando is not like where we are from (New York metro & San Francisco Bay) but I was hoping that we could at have advice in finding a synagogue in the area, and possibly a Jewish-based private school for our kids, who are 11, 7 and 3 1/2. A kosher market would be wonderful too.

We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom home to purchase in a safe, diverse neighborhood around $400-500,000. My husband will be working in what I believe in the southern part of the city, off Kirkman (or Kirkton...I am not sure) Road. I am a stay at home mom.

My husband is also considering an adjunct professorship at Embry Riddle College, in Daytona Beach. How bad of a drive would that be?

I've seen many scary things about Orlando, and I hope to hear something positive. This is an amazing opportunity for my husband, and we are settled on our relocation.

My main desire is to find a safe and acceptive place to live for my family.

Many thank you's and blessings!

Rachel

Actually the plaza i work in has a bunch of Orthodox Jews (yamakas and all...i think you spell it like that) always coming to eat at this NY/Jewish based resturant and they congregate out there even after eating and they are just talking and having fellowship with each other.....I usually see those people coming in all night to eat with thier families until about 11pm when it closes, but they are out there all times of the day.....I'll try to get a picture of the place as soon as i can and i'll post it on here .....but yeah i work at a shopping plaza in Lake Buena Vista in the tourist area and the street is calles Palm Parkway...i believe they also have a synagog over there somewhere in that area.......ill let you know more after i get that picture posted up here.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM

307 posts, read 2,106,290 times
shalom rachel! I have found 22 orthodox congregations in all of Florida so far. They are more common in south florida. Howvever in Orlando, there is Congregation Ohel Rachel Leah, and Chabad of South Orlando. Maitland's JCC is a wonderful, place, however they are reform. I used to attend services in N.Y. where I was Bat Mitzvah'ed, but my family went back and forth between conservative and reform. Embry Riddle would be a good hour's drive from the Orlando area. I had many friends who attended school there, and I used to live in Daytona Beach as well. i hope this helps a bit!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 15,963 times
Thank you all so very much!

I am definitely going to check out the JCC in Maitland.

Thanks again!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,889 times
Default Orthodox Jewish family moving to Orlando...

Has your husband consider teaching at the Orlando Metro Center of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University? It's located at the Lockheed Martin Bldg, second floor....it fact the address is:

Orlando Metro Center
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
8529 South Park Circle, Suite 270
Orlando, Florida 32819

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University World Wide Centers

A city is only as good as you make it....the more everyone get's involved to make the 'City Beautiful' the better. Making it beautiful begins with you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando