Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
While I agree bullying isn't appropriate and I also don't believe the OP is bullying in this context one HAS TO even laugh at themselves some times and not take themselves or others so seriously, that is a sign of growth and maturity. Having said that I don't believe ALL questions should be asked, especially in a public forum.. Some questions & decisions in life one has to determine on their own or with those close to them, that's also a sign of maturity and growth.. What did people do before Internet forums I often wonder? Who held their hands through life? A couple of todays mysteries to ponder
The man was just asking advice from other people who may have more experience in life. THAT is a sign of maturity and growth. It is good to get the perspective of other people. This is the information age, where we can learn things that we may not have been taught when we were younger, which I think is a good thing. In case you hadn't noticed, there are quite a few dumb jackasses born BEFORE the internet age who could have used the benefits of the web before making stupid decisions.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
While I agree bullying isn't appropriate and I also don't believe the OP is bullying in this context one HAS TO even laugh at themselves some times and not take themselves or others so seriously, that is a sign of growth and maturity. Having said that I don't believe ALL questions should be asked, especially in a public forum.. Some questions & decisions in life one has to determine on their own or with those close to them, that's also a sign of maturity and growth.. What did people do before Internet forums I often wonder? Who held their hands through life? A couple of todays mysteries to ponder
But there is no such thing as a stupid question. You grow and mature by asking. Not asking can be the stupidest thing someone can do in some cases. The thing about living in Florida is that you don't always have any one in your family to discuss things with so why not ask on the internet and in person. I know as a young mom when I was pregnant and had an infant, I was continually calling my doctor and talking to his receptionist because I didn't have sisters down here and my parents were dead. It was embarrassing at times because the answers were so simple. Just the reassurance or the urge to caution can help in decisions. It would have been so much less embarrassing to ask anonymously on the internet about some things.

And I of course agree that we have to laugh at ourselves, but in this case it was more laughing at a poster than laughing with them. Mature people have to be able to know the difference and sometimes it is just harder to see the non intentional hurt we might cause so some things we think are better off not shared .

Old 08-09-2012, 07:03 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
The man was just asking advice from other people who may have more experience in life. THAT is a sign of maturity and growth. It is good to get the perspective of other people. This is the information age, where we can learn things that we may not have been taught when we were younger, which I think is a good thing. In case you hadn't noticed, there are quite a few dumb jackasses born BEFORE the internet age who could have used the benefits of the web before making stupid decisions.
Yes and even more since I'm afraid..

Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Of course there are...
Not if you don't know the answer. It is a learning experience.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
The problem with his thread is that it has nothing to do with Orlando. Half of my threads/posts get locked/deleted and it has everything to do with Orlando.

So basically his thread was I'm going to get a second job, so I'm assuming I'll get a 2nd job, I'm assuming I'll make this much, I assume I'll have this much left over and could that cover rent. It's like asking if I win a scratch off, and I win 2k, I have 1500 in cc bills, could I afford that 300 shoes?

And then on top of that, there are idiots who actually say that he can afford it.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Just stupid people who happen to ask questions.

j.k.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
The problem with his thread is that it has nothing to do with Orlando. Half of my threads/posts get locked/deleted and it has everything to do with Orlando.

So basically his thread was I'm going to get a second job, so I'm assuming I'll get a 2nd job, I'm assuming I'll make this much, I assume I'll have this much left over and could that cover rent. It's like asking if I win a scratch off, and I win 2k, I have 1500 in cc bills, could I afford that 300 shoes?

And then on top of that, there are idiots who actually say that he can afford it.
Then you do the proper thing and report it...up in the corner is a little sign that everyone should know about. I just wish more people on the Orlando/Florida forums would use it.
Report it to a mod suggesting it should be moved to the proper area.
Bullying on the internet is just as wrong as bullying in real life. Name calling is real mature also.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Yes and even more since I'm afraid..
Well who raised this generation? The one who came before it. The John Wayne's who had all the answers

Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Well who raised this generation? The one who came before it. The John Wayne's who had all the answers
Fortunately that didn't include me I'm kind of between generations as are my children, my siblings did though and they've been a part of the problem no doubt but for me I'm just in the process of raising mine now and they will think about life differently, I'm proud to say they already do even at their young age..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Name calling is real mature also.
Name calling? Who did that I missed it? JFYI IMO it's pathetic and childish to report silly complaints on a forum, I've found that mature people can just ignore it and move on.. I see his point though, I've just recently had a couple of posts completely related to the topic I posted them on deemed unrelated and deleted, it's a power trip for most to moderate a forum..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando