Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Not a free pool. People who use the pool would pay a fee to offset the cost of the pool. It's done in many cities and it's a no brainer.
Oh I see. So the city would be fully liable because they're actually collecting money? I'm calling the mayor and telling him about this...it's a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM

70 posts, read 258,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Orlando's homeless "problem" seems to be limited to Downtown. I understand there are homeless camps in the woods of some more suburban areas of town (I know there's one by JYP and Princeton)

I wouldn't even say homelessness is a "problem" in downtown Orlando. Granted there are a lot of them there but they don't bother me asking me for money or whatnot. If I don't bother them they won't bother me. However, if I'm at Lake Eola enjoying a delicious Publix sub and I get asked for money, that bothers me

But I still wouldn't say homelessness is a problem (according to what I've heard, it was MUCH worse in the 1980s) but if it is, these "Food Not Bombs" people at Lake Eola are making it worse by feeding people there. They are enabling the homeless to hang out around there because they know its a place to get food. From what I've been told there is plenty of free food to go around at the shelters am I right?
Anywhere that does not have a cold winter has a homeless problem. And I guess my question is, what would you do about it? "Force" them to live somewhere? Or build more shelters? Which could backfire and draw more homeless to the area, leaving them on the streets during the day or nights when the shelters end up full. It's a sad problem but not sure there really is a realistic solution that wouldn't cost lots and lots of money to create jobs, affordable housing, etc. (I didn't read the pages of posts so I may have missed a great solution that was posted so I apologize)

Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyleo View Post
Anywhere that does not have a cold winter has a homeless problem. And I guess my question is, what would you do about it?
My personal opinion? Stop accomodating them. Arrest them for panhandling. Don't give them money.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:37 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Public Transportation or Build wider streets. ONE or the other. Maybe 3 or 4 of the buses need to run 24 hours a day and we need a rail system, I don't care what anyone says. A lot of people on here don't live in dense areas like I do. This city needs to do something for public transit. Running 2 or 3 bus 8's and bus 4's at one time is not going to cut it. These people need options especially with the way the theme parks operate. Roads are another thing. Traffic lights are too long, which makes people want to run lights or make moving violations (made one yesterday). It's about having some patience yes, but when you miss a green light 4 to 5 times because of traffic (no accident), you become frustrated as well as the drivers around you which makes drivers here aggressive. Better traffic signs as well. Tourist can't see that "Turn Here" sign behind that tree or the "Next Exit Blue Resorts Hotels in Right Lane Only" sign the size of my TV screen. There needs to be something done about the monster manholes driving in and around Orange County as well.

Of course more jobs. Pay doesn't affect me although I think the cost of living should be cheaper anyhow. It costs way too much to live in a city that doesn't bring in all that much more if any than competitor cities. Rent for places is too high, home prices are not that high but we all know why. But rent wise, which is a great portion of our population, it's far too high. Sure you can say "People need to get a degree and get better jobs" well those opportunities are not there for everybody. The city wants people to cater to them, but that's definitely not how a city should be ran if it plans on making residents happy with their living environment.

Other than that, more parks. There are a lot now, but Even if it's just neighborhood parks 1 block or 2 blocks it'll be great to have them . I mean community centers and all that extra stuff. Give these people and children something other to do. There are community centers, but YMCA takes away from a real community center that city of Orlando or Orange County provides in certain neighborhoods. It'll be cool to have a Oak Ridge Family Center for the dozens of families and children that need something to do after school. Oak Ridge High School, Westridge Middle, Walker Middle, Pineloch, Palmetto,Wineguard,Landcaster, Sadler...all those kids and only Southwood Community Center and Oak Ridge YMCA? IDK just me. There are other neighborhoods in Orange County who could use it as well. Just my rant though.

Of course more entertainment options, but Orlando is a young city with not as many as sophisticated people like northern cities. I'd love to see another pro sports team, more skate parks, city festivals and gatherings than the few we have. But wishful thinking.
Excellent post. I think they ought to get rid of the red light cameras, now that the yellow light lasts maybe 2 seconds, people are slamming on their brakes and rear end collisions at JYP and CFL Pkwys (my most frequently used intersection) rear end collisions are becoming a regular occurrence not only there but at every light where there is a camera

As far as rents being too high, you're right. I think the rents are kept as high as they are, to keep the more (how can I put this lightly) lower class people out of the "good" complexes. Although I've noticed since the recession, complexes have loosened a lot of their rules for income requirements. Pre-recession days required all tenants to earn at least 3 times the amount of rent, now some complexes dont have an income requirement at all. I looked at one off Far South OBT near Southchase/Hunter's Creek and they told me that they had no income requirement. So basically somebody who gets paid in packing peanuts can live their as long as they come up with $600 for the rent on a 1 bedroom

Another thing that could make Orlando more competitive in tourism is along with the family friendly attractions, is to market this city to more adults. There's no shortage of adult fun to be had in this town (not just sex related) for a city our size we have an awesome nightlife scene, as well as the beach being an hour away, and even adults enjoy the parks. That could be a huge boost to our local economy if tourism increases that way

Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
My personal opinion? Stop accomodating them. Arrest them for panhandling. Don't give them money.
Sounds like the "hand up" theory is lost on you?

Davie, I agree with marketing the city more to adults. When I was a cabbie it always made me laugh when convention visitors were pleasantly surprised with the fun they weren't expecting to have.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Sounds like the "hand up" theory is lost on you?.
No. It's unfortunately just not effective.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Close down that ridiculous, ugly and dangerously close nuke plant.
LOL...you mean the coal plant?

Last edited by Pete C; 08-16-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
LOL...you mean the coal plant?
He seemed like a "Hit and run" type poster, so I decided to let somebody else correct him on that. Those smoke stacks remind me of the nuclear plant in the Simpsons, and I remember the first time I actually took a good look at them, I thought Stanton was nuclear too until one day somebody told me the endless coal trains that they are for the power plant. Also if you ever look at the cars, they say "OUCX" on them, somebody I know who works for the railroad told me OUC gets its coal from the Appalachians in West Virginia, forgot where exactly

They share the CSX tracks until South Orange Ave reaches Old Wetherbee Road, where they then split and run parallel to Boggy Creek and then parallel to 417 and 528 before reaching Stanton

And ORL, I think somebody should mention this to the Convention and Visitors bureau. Minus the strip clubs and dirty book stores, there is no shortage of adult oriented fun in this town. All the clubs off I-Drive and Carrier Dr (right cross streets?) Howl at the Moon, Pointe Orlando, Ice Bar, the Tilted Kilt, Restaurant Row in Dr Phillips

Another thing that would make Orlando a better place to live. Even out the city limits, one minute you're in Orlando City limits, the next minute you're not, then you are again, the street signs are constantly switching between Oranges and blue fountains

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM

178 posts, read 392,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
there is no shortage of adult oriented fun in this town. All the clubs off I-Drive and Carrier Dr (right cross streets?) Howl at the Moon, Pointe Orlando, Ice Bar, the Tilted Kilt, Restaurant Row in Dr Phillips
Not sure of the timeline or if progress has stopped, but I understand that Church Street is in the process of coming back to life. With the arena there and more living downtown including 55 West which is right there, it would make sense for that area to revive.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post
Not sure of the timeline or if progress has stopped, but I understand that Church Street is in the process of coming back to life. With the arena there and more living downtown including 55 West which is right there, it would make sense for that area to revive.
We'll see. My parents told me how awesome it was in the 1980s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando