Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Cocoa Beach is touristy. Cocoa is just rough....
Most of Brevard County seems rough to me. Even Cocoa Beach is rough

Quote:
Not if the drive from edgewater is long and annoying. You'd be better off finding something closer. Lake Nona is nice, or cocoa beach
Brevard County may be a better choice than Volusia County since you will have your beaches and be closer to work. Neither county is a very good place to live, both are rough and have lots of crime

OP have you also considered Bithlo, Wedgefield, or Christmas as well? You would be 30 minutes give or take from the beach and probably about the same distance to the airport as well as being 30-45 minutes from Orlando. I think one of these 3 areas would be a great choice if you want to live a more rural lifestyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 04:30 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Brevard County may be a better choice than Volusia County since you will have your beaches and be closer to work. Neither county is a very good place to live, both are rough and have lots of crime

OP have you also considered Bithlo, Wedgefield, or Christmas as well? You would be 30 minutes give or take from the beach and probably about the same distance to the airport as well as being 30-45 minutes from Orlando. I think one of these 3 areas would be a great choice if you want to live a more rural lifestyle
Volusia is MUCH rougher than brevard. Have you even been to viera or the beachside? .....I'd check those areas out before trashing brevard. Cocoa Beach a fine area with a school system that would rival anything you'd find in Orange county. Melbourne beaches are nicer and less trashy than Daytona IMO. No nascar/bike week/spring break/BCS crowds to deal with.

Brevard also has a higher median income than Orange or Volusia I believe (thanks to NASA and nearby defense-related companies such as Lockheed Martin, GE, Harris Corp, Rockwell Collins etc). Also I find it pretty funny that you're trashing brevard and then recommending bithlo which is probably as close as you can get to third-world living in central FL

Beth Kassab: Bithlo's problems are no joke - Orlando Sentinel

Fixing Central Florida Bithlo: Bithlo: The shame of Orange's Appalachia - Orlando Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Sentinel
Last year, the Rev. Brad Atkins led his Powdersville, S.C., congregation on a mission trip. The men's ministry landed in the depressed area with no streetlights, libraries or grocery store. They rolled up their sleeves and slapped fresh paint on dilapidated buildings, re-piped plumbing, and erected retaining walls to curb flooding.

Help for Haiti?

As Atkins told the Sentinel, "I'd never heard of Bithlo before … but then we saw the need."

Last edited by chopchop0; 08-22-2012 at 05:20 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Davie I'm sorry but your comments are a bit off. Most of Brevard County is not rough, especially when comparing to Orange County which has way more than it's share of "rough". Below are the 2011 FBI Crime Stats compiled for the City of Orlando and City of Palm Bay (the largest city in Brevard). Note the stats are against city population, not county or metro area numbers. Palm Bay is clearly much safer than Orlando.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...colorado-idaho

Note that Orlando's population numbers are about 2.5 times larger than Palm Bay's yet Orlando's crime numbers are many times more...so which is rougher???

Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
To get back on topic...

Edgewater to the airport is gonna suck. Period. You may THINK it will be okay, peace of mind, whatever else you said... but trust me, day after day after day after day will get to you. Bad. Plus, you are eating up 10+ hours of your time EVERY week. 10 hours! An extra hour sleep each day and an hour to relax in the evening.

If you decide to go ahead with it, please rent for a long while before you get stuck by buying. I did a similar commute just 3 days a week for 8 months and ended up quitting my job because it became unbearable. Plus, I was spending a ton in gas, tolls, extra food (because I could not drive for 1:20 home while hungry every day), and extra tires (went through several, oddly) and oil changes.

I agree with whatever poster recommended Avalon Park. Look into it. Or anywhere that chops even 20 minutes off your drive.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Volusia is MUCH rougher than brevard. Have you even been to viera or the beachside? .....I'd check those areas out before trashing brevard. Cocoa Beach a fine area with a school system that would rival anything you'd find in Orange county. Melbourne beaches are nicer and less trashy than Daytona IMO. No nascar/bike week/spring break/BCS crowds to deal with.

Brevard also has a higher median income than Orange or Volusia I believe (thanks to NASA and nearby defense-related companies such as Lockheed Martin, GE, Harris Corp, Rockwell Collins etc). Also I find it pretty funny that you're trashing brevard and then recommending bithlo which is probably as close as you can get to third-world living in central FL

Beth Kassab: Bithlo's problems are no joke - Orlando Sentinel

Fixing Central Florida Bithlo: Bithlo: The shame of Orange's Appalachia - Orlando Sentinel
I say Brevard County is "rough" because there is always some crazy stuff going on over there, and I don't mean in a good way. Just watch Channel 9, every day something bad happens in Brevard and Volusia County. And yeah Volusia is much rougher than Brevard.

I knew Bithlo was rough, but I didn't know that "illiteracy" ran rampant in extreme East Orange County. I also knew their well water was disgusting but I didn't know it was as bad as far as contamination goes from an ex-dump and a leaky gas station. I recommended Bithlo for the simple fact of living a quieter more rural lifestyle and not having an extreme commute to work

What about Wedgefield? I don't know much about Wedgefield other than it stretches from East Colonial all the way down to the 528, based on what I've seen from the Dallas Blvd exit Wedgefield seems to have some beautiful homes. And he'd still be close to the beach and his job at the airport. Wedgefield would be a good middle ground

The poster who suggested Avalon Park got it right though! AP would be the best

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,651 times
I used to drive Daytona Beach Shores to MCO five days a week. The drive on I95 isn't bad unless there is an accident, and then you are in a long delay without many opportunities to get off the road or turn around. I moved to Orlando once gas went above $2.75 a gallon, the hour plus drive each way and 150 mile round trip became excessive after a while.

I loved being near the coast (actually across the street from the ocean), but also take into consideration how often you use the beaches, go boating, etc. Gas today at $3.60/gallon at 150 miles a day (average car 25 mpg) times four days a week/4 weeks a month = $345.60 a month in gas. If you use the 528 to I95 and pay $1.50 each way in tolls, you add another $48/mo in expenses to almost $400/month. This doesn't include the wear and tear of 2,400+ miles/month on your car. I put over 32,000 miles on my car in a year from DBS tto MCO.

There are plenty of places within 20 miles of MCO that are safe and reasonably priced. Driving to either coast isn't bad, and there are plenty of lakes to enjoy watersports or fishing.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southrnflyer View Post
I used to drive Daytona Beach Shores to MCO five days a week. The drive on I95 isn't bad unless there is an accident, and then you are in a long delay without many opportunities to get off the road or turn around. I moved to Orlando once gas went above $2.75 a gallon, the hour plus drive each way and 150 mile round trip became excessive after a while.

I loved being near the coast (actually across the street from the ocean), but also take into consideration how often you use the beaches, go boating, etc. Gas today at $3.60/gallon at 150 miles a day (average car 25 mpg) times four days a week/4 weeks a month = $345.60 a month in gas. If you use the 528 to I95 and pay $1.50 each way in tolls, you add another $48/mo in expenses to almost $400/month. This doesn't include the wear and tear of 2,400+ miles/month on your car. I put over 32,000 miles on my car in a year from DBS tto MCO.

There are plenty of places within 20 miles of MCO that are safe and reasonably priced. Driving to either coast isn't bad, and there are plenty of lakes to enjoy watersports or fishing.

Suggestions? Nice break down of costs. Lots of cheap rents in FS (Florida Shores)

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 PM

20 posts, read 18,363 times
I do think the number of days commuting is a considerable factor. In my case, I would only be commuting 2-3 days a week for 30 weeks/year (as I teach online during the summer). Round trip from NSB to UCF is about 120 miles, so total commuting miles/year would be about 9000. Living right on the beach, I could live with that. I'm motivated to try, at least.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Lake Nona is really nice and we're about 40 minutes from the beach. Not only is the commute long, but think of the gas and miles on your car. You're looking at like $500 gas and tolls plus 2000+ miles on your car each month. Not worth it I think.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM

20 posts, read 18,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Lake Nona is really nice and we're about 40 minutes from the beach. Not only is the commute long, but think of the gas and miles on your car. You're looking at like $500 gas and tolls plus 2000+ miles on your car each month. Not worth it I think.
For someone who wants to actually live minutes from the beach, 40 minutes is too far. That's how far I am right now from Cocoa Beach and we barely go. Being minutes away means you can go on a whim. After work, early in the morning, whenever.

And 2000 miles month only equals $500 in fuel if you get 15 mpg. Who gets that on the highway? I would spend max $200/month on fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando