Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM

501 posts, read 1,188,993 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give any info on St Cloud? We visited the area briefly one day this past week and would be interested in hearing from those living there in regards to utilities (provider & average cost) ...safety...etc. schools and nightlife are not an issue. We are looking at renting a SFH - not an apartment, as we are relocating next month.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 AM

388 posts, read 789,077 times
What made you think of St Cloud? I haven't spent a great deal of time there, but have some friends that grew up and around the area. It borders on Kissimmee and some not so nice areas, but from what I gather it's still quite a bit rural. The schools leave a bit to be desired and you're pretty far out from most everything. If I were to live down that way, coming from NOVA, I'd consider Harmony.

As for the utilities, I'm sure it all depends on the size of the house. If it's one story, I would estimate your monthly electric being around $200/month. Obviously summer you will tip toward a higher # and winter less. If you have a ton of grass to water, I would expect that bill to be upwards of $75/month, otherwise plan around $50 or so. Cable/internet could be as cheap as $100 or as much as $200.

Where in NOVA are you currently? What kind of budget do you have and what's important to you?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:45 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,190,532 times
St. Cloud though? Well if you are considering that place, you must seen something beneficial. For instance the area in Orlando in which I live isn't the best and many people would bypass, but we chose it due to its proximity yo our work locations and the school. So if it's something that turned you on about St Cloud you will be okay

Sorry I can't help much this time. That's a bit out of my knowledge area of Orlando. Metro other than the fact it's secluded a bit.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Mr Idealism - We are relocating from NOVA, 75 miles west from the airport which my husband flies out of...a long commute. We're moving to the Orlando area because my husband is a flight attendant and the airline he works for flies in/out of there. We looked at St Cloud because it wasn't too far from OIA. We drove around and looked at the neighborhood, which seemed laid back and the area has a Publix, Home Depot, etc., which is fine. The utilities are within reason from what you wrote. We are currently in a SFH, 1000 sf, and our elec is $100/mo, water $60/mo, cable $160/mo.

We're looking to rent (not buy) a SFH/duplex (just not an apartment), for somewhere around $800-1000/mo. Safety is most important to us, since I'd be home alone most of the time. We could careless about nightlife, as well as schools, and are empty nesters.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:53 PM

457 posts, read 625,250 times
There are some very nice neighborhoods in St. Cloud. There are some not so nice, too. There are nice apartments and condos. I don't know about SFHs for rent, though. Nobody in my neighborhood rents.

It is not modern or flashy. Borders on rural, but most of it is not. It's 30-45 minutes to everything but grocery/drug stores, Wal-Mart or Home Depot. It takes me 20-30 minutes to get to the Loop. If driving to the mall or the theme parks is your top priority, move closer to those things.

The Wal-Mart is really not the nicest Wal-Mart I've ever been in...it's actually pretty low on the list of Nice Wal-Marts. What it lacks in appeal it makes up for in being crowded. Always busy, that place.

The grocery stores are nice, though, and the people who work there are friendly. The lake is pretty.

I'd rather get Chimento's than Olive Garden, so I don't miss the chains...but God knows there are enough of them in the touristy areas...which we are not...which we like not being. I would rather drive to that stuff when I'm in the mood for it than have to deal with living in the middle of it all the time. To each, his own.

I like having a halfway-decent sized yard. I love my house and pool. It's very quiet where I am and I like that.

With a 1000 sq ft house, I'm guessing that the OUC bill (which covers electric, water/sewer and garbage) would be about $200/mo, assuming you aren't cranking the air or using tons of water.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 AM

97 posts, read 228,425 times
I would give St. Cloud a 3 out of 10 overall.

On the positive side there are many nice cow pastures. This is the only thing that ups its rating.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 AM

We found a nice SFH which is directly across from Lake Toho. We can walk out our front door and cross the street to be there. The view is great, and will be moving in there next week. Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. We are looking forward to trying out some of the mom and pop restaurants, too.

Americandreamdad - I'm glad I didn't rely on your post to determine if St Cloud was worth considering. There is definitely more there than cow pastures. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando