Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM

56 posts, read 92,332 times

Advertisements

Okay so I don't know where Tiffany came from, but he said she lived on Blair Drive in Haiwassee, FL. Anybody with info on that area? (If it exists).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Not a desirable area at all. Maybe 30 years ago it was, not now.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM

Really? The houses seemed so nice. Maybe I caught them on a good day. Any one else have input

Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Yes, not the worst part of Orlando, but certainly not the best. The area is more commonly known as Pine Hills, aka Crime Hills according to some. It's one of Orlando's rougher neighborhoods. That's the sneaky part about Orlando, a bad area doesn't necessarily look "bad" or "rundown". Not to say there aren't some clearly bad area that look that way, but alot of areas in Orlando look ok but are fairly rough. It's not like other cities where there are housing projects and slums, most of the bad areas here were once nice neighborhoods that got taken over by bad elements.

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 08-27-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I agree with the other posters. Not a place I would ever want to live or raise a family in. Unfortunately on the west/southwest side of town affordable housing is limited. You either have to spend the money to live in Windermere, Dr. Phillips, and to some degree Winter Garden, or simply live farther out.

I think Winter Garden (remember- south of Colonial Dr.) is your best bet. You might want to look into an area called Williamsburg out by SeaWorld. I'm not totally familiar with the area but it doesn't have the bad reputation of Pine Hills, Oak Ridge, the bad side of Metrowest, etc...). There are also some apartments right behind Disney on 535 that may fit your budget.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Thank you guys for the info. I guess I can check that area off my list.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
FYI Hiawassee Rd is a road running north/south in the area commonly called Pine Hills (in the northern part) and MetroWest (south). The southern part is mostly in the city limits of Orlando. And as most posters said, its not the greatest place, although its more rural going north and there are some nicer condos and homes in MW.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearyjoy View Post
Thank you guys for the info. I guess I can check that area off my list.
Hiawassee is a pretty long road, running from the Windermere area all the way up to Apopka. The further south on it you go, the better it gets. The worst stretch of Hiawassee Road is from Colonial Drive to Clarcona-Ocoee Road. There actually are some very nice homes along this stretch but the area in general is just bad

If you're going south and cross over Old Winter Garden Road into the Metrowest area, it's like somebody flipped a switch. Hiawassee is very nice in Metrowest but like BrinkofSunshine said, affordable housing on the southwest side of town is very limited. Williamsburg is a really good bet. My grandmother has had her home there since 1988 and has never had a problem

Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 AM

133 posts, read 277,518 times
I know exactly where this neighborhood is. Right by the intersection of North Hiawassee Road & Balboa Drive. This is a very diverse area. If you have driven thrugh the neighborhood, you will notice that some of the homes have bars on the windows, and the homes are very close together. A lot of the yards in this neighborhood are not well taken care of either. However, this area is zoned for schools that are OKAY, because it's not in the heart of Pine Hills, it's in the outskirts almost by Ocoee. It is very close to public transportation on North Hiawassee Road, and shopping on West Colonial Drive, and major highways. If you mind your own business in this neighborhood you will be fine, and I wouldn't mind living in this area if the home price was a good deal.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
My neighborhood is diverse--on my street we have half a dozen white families, two Asian, one black, two Hispanic, but we don't need to keep bars on the windows...

That in itself would be a deal breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando