Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:19 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
True that ALDI while having the same business model is a totally different type of (no frills) store, they carry a surprising amount of really good high quality products. Specifically, great chocolates, cheeses, chips (some organic) hummus, salsa, olive oil, guacamole, German import specialties and wine (other than their "Winking Owl" which is like the Charles Shaw stuff) to name a few. I have been really surprised by this, as I expected ALDI to be like a Sav-A-Lot, which it is not at all.
Yep. ALDI used to get disparaged a lot by my friends but once they checked out some of the newer locations in FL, they saw the positives. Unfortunately, in many older locations in the NE, the stores look dingy.

Definitely agree about the chocolate. I think it's actually cheaper at Aldi than TJs, although I do love the big Belgian bars (Pound Plus - 17.6 oz) for $4.99 and feel they are a pretty good value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
We might be in luck: Trader Joe?s sniffs out Orlando sites - Orlando Business Journal

Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Orlando's not factored in the two year plan??? The demographic here truly sucks if we're at least two years out with Sarasota, Gainesville and Tallahassee operating/online a good couple years ahead of us. I know logistics plays a part in expansion but I'm sure stores will open on the east coast (South Florida no doubt) well before two years from now.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando's not factored in the two year plan??? The demographic here truly sucks if we're at least two years out with Sarasota, Gainesville and Tallahassee operating/online a good couple years ahead of us. I know logistics plays a part in expansion but I'm sure stores will open on the east coast (South Florida no doubt) well before two years from now.
I'm betting I-75 proximity (with maybe a target towards rich old folks and college kids being a distant second consideration) is playing a role here....

Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
The good thing for you guys is it says that would like SEVERAL locations there! I wish we had more than one here in Sarasota, it is just not a good shopping experience with the horrible parking situation and crowds. Plus Tampa doesn't even have one yet which is crazy! I hope they start building 'em fast and furious all over. I admit I have been twice and I'm hooked now!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The good thing for you guys is it says that would like SEVERAL locations there! I wish we had more than one here in Sarasota, it is just not a good shopping experience with the horrible parking situation and crowds. Plus Tampa doesn't even have one yet which is crazy! I hope they start building 'em fast and furious all over. I admit I have been twice and I'm hooked now!
yup..... there's things you find there at a fair price that you can't find ANYWHERE else. And yes that one in Sarasota will be nuts Im sure until they build some in Tampa.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Ha ha whatever. I'll admit our demo is not always the best, but we are big enough to fit Gainesville's entire demographic within our metro and still have room for more. There are other factors keeping TJ's out for the immediate future, but it's not because we don't have the demographic to support it. Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, Lake Mary/Hathrow, and maybe even Altamonte Springs could all support a TJ's.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
If a Whole Foods can operate successfully here, a Trader Joes easily can as well, period.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Ha ha whatever. I'll admit our demo is not always the best, but we are big enough to fit Gainesville's entire demographic within our metro and still have room for more. There are other factors keeping TJ's out for the immediate future, but it's not because we don't have the demographic to support it. Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, Lake Mary/Hathrow, and maybe even Altamonte Springs could all support a TJ's.
Ehhh, it's not all that. Perhaps the real issue is that the "desirable areas" are spread far enough apart that despite the numbers the reality is people in Lake Mary/Heathrow and Altamonte Springs aren't going to drive to Dr Phillips to a Trader Joe's and vice versa. I think what Whole Foods has experienced with their two operations here in terms of geographic draw is indicative of what Trader Joe's can expect. One or two well placed stores will not capture the market share they're after and will have to open as many as three or four to even come close to touching much of the population base. Opening in other areas of Florida that will draw most of the population to a single location first does make some good sense, and is certainly more economically viable.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Ehhh, it's not all that. Perhaps the real issue is that the "desirable areas" are spread far enough apart that despite the numbers the reality is people in Lake Mary/Heathrow and Altamonte Springs aren't going to drive to Dr Phillips to a Trader Joe's and vice versa. I think what Whole Foods has experienced with their two operations here in terms of geographic draw is indicative of what Trader Joe's can expect. One or two well placed stores will not capture the market share they're after and will have to open as many as three or four to even come close to touching much of the population base. Opening in other areas of Florida that will draw most of the population to a single location first does make some good sense, and is certainly more economically viable.
Thank you Kyle for a much better analysis of the situation, and you know what, I tend to agree with this. The 2 Whole Foods are doing great but you're right, they are a blip on the radar in terms of market share. Personally, I'm not an organic shopper but if I had one right here in Altamonte or Longwood, I'd run in a few times every couple months just to try something different or when I was making a special dinner etc. The smaller cities that TJ's has started with in Florida are able to be covered with 1 or 2 well placed stores max. Meaning 1 good TJ's can make Gainesville into a Trader Joe's town almost overnight, in larger more sprawling metro like Orlando, 1 TJ's in Dr. Phillips becomes a novelty those of us living north of the city might one day check out to grab some 2 Buck Chuck but will not become part of my weekly grocery routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando