U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 728 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I moved out of my former complex days after it was sold to another company. I repainted my walls, cleaned the carpets, replaced blinds, and made sure everything was dusted and it was in move-in ready condition. Within the thirty days of my move-out, I received a letter claiming my (small) deposit and then some in unpaid rent and utilities. No damages were listed, and the rent they listed was less than what I actually paid. I called their office and they said the former company never reported to them my paying rent my last month there. I had always paid on time. I sent a letter contesting the claims within the 15 days by certified mail with a copy of the original claims letter, my own letter explaining that I had paid, who I had spoken to, as well as listing the documents enclosed. I also included my email receipt of payment being processed as well as a copy of my bank statement proving that the payment went through. The part of the claims that I agreed with - the leftover water bill which I had not received upon moving out, I addressed in the letter and sent a check for the remaining amount. I never heard back, and the other day I got a call from a debt collecting agency saying that the complex had turned it over to them to collect my debt and that it was going on my credit.

Since I sent a certified letter (I still have the receipt as well as all the paperwork) within the time frame, can they really just claim it through debt collectors and put it on my credit anyways without responding to me or going to small claims court?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM

848 posts, read 1,781,778 times
I don't think it's a matter of "can they," they DID!

When we moved, I apparently made an error in paying the final telephone bill, corrected it, and the phone company did the same thing for an insanely small balance. At the time (1990 timeframe) I submitted all my documents to the credit reporting people and they removed it. I don't see that working with debt collectors, but it's only a phone call and some time on your part so give it a whirl and see what they say. The new owners of your old complex can't be of much help. Do you have any contact information for the old complex owners?

This sounds like a case of simply not being able to connect with the right person and I suspect that someone is going to be at the office of the old complex owners. Good luck to you, I know how maddening and frustrating something so simple can be at times.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 31,663 times
You can contest it with the credit agencies themselves. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes, but if you have any evidence in your favor (and you do) they WILL eventually take it off. Just don't give up with them.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM

385 posts, read 1,313,832 times
Anyone can add entries to your credit report, it's your responsibility to police your report and get incorrect entries removed. As the last poster said, dispute it with the credit reporting companies. After my dad died I had a lot of incorrect entries of things under his name going onto my credit report, and I never had too much of an issue having them removed. Remember you can get a copy of your credit report for free once a year.

-Harry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando