Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

I want to buy either cable or satellite TV for my house. I can't stand being home and having nothing to watch.

Brighthouse doesn't seem like such a great deal as $71 a month for basic cable, BUT there is no contract

DirectTV had a 200 channel deal for $40 a month for 12 months

DISH Network has a 250 Channel Deal for $40 a month for 12 months as well, increasing to $70 after that

Now of course I do not NEED 250 channels but we dont have any TV service at our house at the present time and its gotten incredibly boring around here as of late. I'm missing 'How I Met Your Mother' 'The Office' 'Family Guy' and 'The O'Reilly Factor' since we don't have TV service

Any reviews on these 3 service providers? comcast doesn't serve our area so they are out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
If you can do without some sports, just go cheap and do it online with hulu plus and the internet. Use Netflix and/or Amazon Prime to get streaming TV shows and movies.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I've had Brighthouse, AT&T and DirectTV. Without a doubt I would recommend DirectTV. Rarely if ever had service issues like I had with Brighthouse or AT&T (think about how often you see cable vehicles trolling the neighborhood) and the rates are below what they charge with a better channel selection. Dish is apparently ok but doesn't have a number of channels that DirectTV offers. Some will try to say that service goes out when it rains but find service cuts out only when a massive thunderstorm is blasting around your house, which is when it's probably not wise to be watching TV anyway.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I used to have the Bright House cable/tv/phone package. But dumped the phone/tv to save money. The cost went up to 150 dollars a month and they promised more increases every year. I did like their service the one time the cable was cut they came out on a rainy Friday night to fix it. The internet is just about 50 dollars a month with decent speed.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
It looks like the shows you've mentioned missing are all on the major networks, have you thought about just getting a digital antenna and getting the local stations for free that way?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,318 times
This has been discussed various times before....I think you will find differing opinions from everyone. I myself have only ever had Brighthouse but I really do like their service and can't really say I have had any major issues with them.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
A few weeks ago you were complaining about not making enough money from Publix, and now you want to spend money on cable??? Have I missed something Davie, did you get a better job or a promotion? If I were you, I'd do the internet Netflix and Hulu option for occasional entertainment and spend the rest of my time reading books, blogs, and publications to move my life forward. I also have really gotten into radio programming and hardly ever watch TV during the day before work since it tends to suck you in and the hours really fly by but in a mind-numbing way.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
A few weeks ago you were complaining about not making enough money from Publix, and now you want to spend money on cable??? Have I missed something Davie, did you get a better job or a promotion? If I were you, I'd do the internet Netflix and Hulu option for occasional entertainment and spend the rest of my time reading books, blogs, and publications to move my life forward. I also have really gotten into radio programming and hardly ever watch TV during the day before work since it tends to suck you in and the hours really fly by but in a mind-numbing way.
I got a raise...and I stated I wasnt making enough money to afford my own place. I have enough money to pay my bills but to afford my own place....no. So I decided to make the best of my time in my mom's house

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Here are the main channels I want in cable or satellite

Comedy Central
FX
TBS
TNT
USA Network
Fox News Channel
AMC

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I got a raise...and I stated I wasnt making enough money to afford my own place. I have enough money to pay my bills but to afford my own place....no. So I decided to make the best of my time in my mom's house
Well congrats bro, glad to hear things are working out for you. I used to have Dish and loved it, but we're talking years back. They'd be the first place I'd look again, and their adds for the Hopper sound very promising. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando