Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM

565 posts, read 1,254,220 times

Advertisements

I came from up north, and I must say that I love Orlando's warm weather and snow-less winters! I even like the rain - because it makes it a sub-tropical environment here, which proliferates wildlife. With all the water sources in the city, I'm always seeing lovely and amazing bird life overhead.

I'm less than an hour away from the beaches, Disney, the other major theme parks, and several lovely state parks. I'm also not too far from Tampa, Jacksonville, and South Florida if the mood strikes me to visit there.

I'm inland enough to not worry overly much about hurricane damage, too. And the city is large enough that events and happenings come to me - I don't have to make long drives to them.

Whatever activity or pursuit I'm interested in, odds are stacked in my favor that Orlando has it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
I like the warm, sunny year-round weather, the new(er) infrastructure and housing and low COL as compared to the northeast, personally. Orlando is a very new city that's already come a long way in the last few decades. During that same period time, you've seen the decline of rustbelt cities in the midwest and northeast (chicago and pittsburgh IMO have been able to weather that better than the others)

Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I'm inland enough to not worry overly much about hurricane damage, too.
Just an FYI, but that's something of a false security. There are coastal areas in the state with less likelihood of hurricane strikes than here in Central Florida.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just an FYI, but that's something of a false security. There are coastal areas in the state with less likelihood of hurricane strikes than here in Central Florida.
Correct, especially north FL and GA coast

Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM

565 posts, read 1,254,220 times
Quote:
I didn't say there weren't areas on the coast that weren't safe. Only that living inland is safer from hurricanes than being on the coast. I didn't say *safe* from hurricanes - only *safer* (I feel like I need to add that last part).

Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I love Orlando for every reason Tricon mentioned and because there is so much to do here. Sure we are a young community but we have and are developing some great traditions. For instance I love Bowl Week. Seeing all the out of town football fans, free events, pep rallies, parades and I think they play some pretty good games too. I love Halloween and New Year's Eve downtown. It's not the French Quarter or Time Square, but for being right outside my doorstep, it's a great option. Believe it or not I still love the Magic. Like a bad relationship for some reason I've come to expect and relish the heartbreak and pain of being a Magic fan. I love OIA. I can get direct flights on the cheap to just about every major east coast city and most other destinations. I love the food here, no it's not "big city" level but you can get a really good meal here (Asian, Latin, Soul Food, Mexican, Carribean, Brazilian, etc) at a local mom and pops owned establishment for a good price. Most of all I love the potential our area is finally showing.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I've been here for 30 years so it's home.
Before I continue I'll let ya'll know that I have no intention of living here when I retire.
It's mainly because I want a change of seasons and the col is lower where we're going.
I love the weather most of the year. As I get older (I'm only 50 now) I find the really hot/humid months harder to deal with.
People are easy going. I have yet to run into the hoards of crazy rude people. I know there's road rage out there but find it no different from any other major or non major city I've driven in.
There is always something to do. So much that sometimes it's hard to decide. And you don't have to spend alot of money to do it.
I am fortunate to have a job that I enjoy and pays me a decent wage. That doesn't mean I've alway had this...I worked hard to get where I am and put up with a lot of nonsense over the years.
I like the fact that the LOCAL politicians are held accountable for their actions. Even tho I'm a big fan of Thersa Jacobs, I'm glad she got caught texting while in the Commission Meeting.

What I don't like is the same kind of things that are happening in every city in every state. Criminals walking away with a hand slap that makes a mockery out of the judicial system. I hate that people complain about the red light cameras when the simple fix is.....don't run red light.....oh wait...complain about the length of the yellow lights because everyone knows that the yellow light means..."hurry up and beat the red light."

That kind of list will go on and on but the bottom line is, people don't take resposibility for their own actions and others let them get away with it. Again...this happens everywhere.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I didn't say there weren't areas on the coast that weren't safe. Only that living inland is safer from hurricanes than being on the coast. I didn't say *safe* from hurricanes - only *safer* (I feel like I need to add that last part).
I get the distinction yet it isn't safer. There's really little difference between a couple of miles inland versus the center of the state.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Even though I have had my recent gripes Orlando is still home and I will always love certain things about this city

-The newer more modern infrastructure as others have stated
-A small but beautiful downtown area thats teeming with things to do, places to eat, dance, drink, etc
-Lake Eola, my favorite place in the whole wide world. I'm never unhappy when I visit there
-A racially diverse population that opens you up to other cultures, ways of life and above all else, GOOD FOOD!
-The fact that the city has started to develop an identity as time goes on and the city becomes more established in the world
-The way some suburbs are cities all unto themselves. Avalon Park, Baldwin Park, Hunter's Creek, Waterford Lakes, and Celebration all come to mind here. They each have a "town center" type area and have very distinct boundaries while other areas are more fluid as to where they start and end. And Avalon, Waterford, and HC are unincorporated, while Baldwin Park is within Orlando city limits
-The fact that all my friends and family are here
-This city continues to grow and prosper desite the recession. According to the US census the City of Orlando is continuing to grow about 2% a year in population and hitting 300,000 people by 2020 won't be out of the question. That's exciting

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
I get the distinction yet it isn't safer. There's really little difference between a couple of miles inland versus the center of the state.
One of the reasons my uncle chose to relocate to Jacksonville back in 2002 was for the low hurricane risk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando