Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times

Advertisements

Maybe his company is struggling because timeshares are a sham. It sucks that our local economy is so dependent on the success of this product.

You can't even pay someone to take them out of your hands when you realize how bad of a product they are and want to get rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
While it's hard not to get into the political context of the story - let's back up for a second and call a spade a spade.

This is just a loser who is seizing the opportunity to tell thouands of minimum wage workers that he owns them.

If you can take a look at his house he's building and objectively say that the guy doesn't have a killer inferiority complex - well, good for you. But I think most would disagree.

I bet he sends out emails like this routinely - many not political - just to make sure some immigrant housekeepers know who their daddy is.

It's pretty pathetic when you think about it. I don't hate the 1% or 10% or any group for being rich. However, being in that top echelon doesn't protect you from being hated for being a jerk.

It's sad that the intense political climate right now can morph people's thoughts into actually applauding junk like this. Would you applaud me if I walked down the street to a bum and tapped him on the shoulder just to remind him where he fits into the grand scheme of things?

And, by the way, let's be honest - anyone that works at Westgate can go get a job somehere else if it comes down to it. Turnover is pretty crazy at those resorts as it is. And the guy isn't going to close a profit center either. So the only ones that would really have to worry are middle and upper-middle management who aren't directly producing revenue.
Right on DT Steve, I don't necessarily disagree, but I do have a major problem with the AJC editorializing with a news story. Facts please, no spin, I can make my own decision that this is sad.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
It's pretty easy to read through his self-serving rhetoric. And before anyone starts slinging mud, while not one of the 1%-ers, my husband and I enjoy a nice income and lifestyle and I own a business that employs just under 50 people. I would never, ever write something like this to my employees, nor would I flaunt my financial situation. (There's a reason I drive a Matrix to work instead of a luxury car, and it has nothing to do with what I can afford to drive.)

Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americandreamdead View Post
Siegel is a perfect Orlando resident.

A. Surgically enhanced bleach blonde arm candy with the IQ of a turnip. Check.
B. Blowhard Republican that built the largest house in square footage in the US (near Windermere of course). Check.
C. Made his money in selling worthless timeshare scams. Check.

Orlando is proud to have David Siegel as a resident. His company is built on fantasy and fakery just like the theme parks.

Also like the theme parks, he pays minimum wage and offers no benefits. He's perfect.
Nobody at Walt Disney World (at least if they work for Disney and not a vendor) makes minimum wage - although a lot of us are pretty close. We do get really good medical benefits for what is nowadays considered a low contribution and a real pension instead of a 401K though.

But yeah, David Siegel is a sad joke; especially your point C above.

-Harry

Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's pretty easy to read through his self-serving rhetoric. And before anyone starts slinging mud, while not one of the 1%-ers, my husband and I enjoy a nice income and lifestyle and I own a business that employs just under 50 people. I would never, ever write something like this to my employees, nor would I flaunt my financial situation. (There's a reason I drive a Matrix to work instead of a luxury car, and it has nothing to do with what I can afford to drive.)
As someone who's started a business, you can't relate to some of his letter? While I agree that parts of it are ridiculous, there is some truth and insight to what he's said

David Siegel and the billionaire’s sad lament | Jay Bookman

Quote:
I started this company over 42 years ago. At that time, I lived in a very modest home. I converted my garage into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you. We didn’t eat in fancy restaurants or take expensive vacations because every dollar I made went back into this company. I drove an old used car, and often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business — hard work, discipline, and sacrifice. Meanwhile, many of my friends got regular jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a nice income, and they spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into this business —-with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford to buy whatever I wanted. Even to this day, every dime I earn goes back into this company. Over the past four years I have had to stop building my dream house, cut back on all of my expenses, and take my kids out of private schools simply to keep this company strong and to keep you employed.

Just think about this – most of you arrive at work in the morning and leave that afternoon and the rest of your time is yours to do as you please. But not me- there is no “off” button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have that freedom. I eat, live, and breathe this company every minute of the day, every day of the week. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. I know many of you work hard and do a great job, but I’m the one who has to sign every check, pay every expense, and make sure that this company continues to succeed. Unfortunately, what most people see is the nice house and the lavish lifestyle. What the press certainly does not want you to see, is the true story of the hard work and sacrifices I’ve made.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
As someone who's started a business, you can't relate to some of his letter? While I agree that parts of it are ridiculous, there is some truth and insight to what he's said

David Siegel and the billionaire’s sad lament | Jay Bookman
Regardless of truth or skewed perception, it was not his place to write such a letter. And BS that he signs every check and pays every expense and takes no time for himself--he has plenty of employees that handle all of those day-to-day things for him. He just gets the highest level executive summaries of all of it. The income that allows him the obscene display of conspicuous consumption is made on the backs of mostly low paid employees and suckers pressured into buying over-priced time shares that in many cases, they can't afford.

My heart bleeds for him. NOT.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
Quote:
Regardless of truth or skewed perception, it was not his place to write such a letter. And BS that he signs every check and pays every expense and takes no time for himself--he has plenty of employees that handle all of those day-to-day things for him. He just gets the highest level executive summaries of all of it. The income that allows him the obscene display of conspicuous consumption is made on the backs of mostly low paid employees and suckers pressured into buying over-priced time shares that in many cases, they can't afford.

My heart bleeds for him. NOT.
Nobody is being forced to work for him.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Nobody is being forced to work for him.
This is true, but there are also laws against an employer creating a hostile workplace. Personally I feel he comes very close to creating a hostile work environment with that e-mail.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM

79 posts, read 151,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Good for him. Anyone who has a problem with this should try building their own company and employ 7,000 people. Can't do it? Then shut the hell up.

People love to hate wealthy people. Between personal and business taxes, this guy contributes more to the government in a week than most people will pay their entire life.
Sadly, this type of coercion in a company his size can lead to serious issues. From an employee relations standpoint, he has done himself and his shareholders a disservice. The lawsuits from employees both past and present based on his statements in this email can be fodder for big settlements. Additionally, this type of employee communication can deflate the employee brand. If he cared so much about his company's position in the market, he should have checked with legal counsel before sending this. What type of employee - and customer - would he attract now?

He is entitled to his opinion and has done nothing illegal (arguably). But it truly shows how little he cares about the feelings of his employees. Bottom line - he threatened his employees. The ACLU will probably come knocking.

And his tax rate is irrelevant. That is the price of working and doing business in America.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:50 PM

129 posts, read 339,597 times
Quote:
This is true, but there are also laws against an employer creating a hostile workplace. Personally I feel he comes very close to creating a hostile work environment with that e-mail.
I certainly would not want to be overheard discussing a preference to vote for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando