Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

A little brutally honest, but honest nonetheless. It's been a long time since we've had a president that's engendered such class warfare and animosity. This is the guy building the biggest residental house in the world

The Queen of Versailles

CEO emails 7,000 employees: Defeat Obama or else - Oct. 9, 2012

Westgate Resorts CEO David Siegel says jobs in trouble if Obama re-elected

Quote:
ORLANDO --
Westgate Resorts CEO David Siegel, who is building the biggest private home in the U.S., doesn't like President Barack Obama and let his employees know their jobs may be at risk if the president is re-elected.
Monday, Siegel sent an email to all 7,000 Westgate employees that said:

"The economy doesn't currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is another four years of the same Presidential administration..."

Further along in the three page email, Siegel writes, "If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company."
Read the whole email

Siegel did not mention Mitt Romney's name anywhere in the 1,400 word email, and he writes he "certainly wouldn't interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose."
Tuesday, he insisted he wasn't threatening to fire employees if the president is re-elected, but he proudly stood behind the email.

In the letter, Siegel acknowledged his 90,000 square foot home now under construction. The home is the subject of a critical documentary, "The Queen of Versailles."
Siegel said he was forced to stop work on the home four years ago because he had to pour all his money back into the company during the lean years, but that he's ready to start work on the home again -- assuming President Obama is defeated.
David Siegel: Orlando time-share mogul tells workers to vote for Romney -- to save their jobs - Orlando Sentinel

Quote:
Orlando time-share mogul David Siegel has told his 7,000 employees that if Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is not elected, he may have to lay people off -- and might even retire and take their "opportunities" with him to a beach in the Caribbean.
Quote:
Siegel founded Westgate Resorts of Orlando, which employs about 3,200 people in Central Florida and thousands more in cities such as Las Vegas, Branson, Mo., and Gatlinburg, Tenn.

Often outspoken and sometimes flamboyant, Siegel and his wife Jacqueline achieved celebrity through a satirical documentary movie released this summer, called "The Queen of Versailles." It follows their effort to build a 90,000-square-foot mansion on Lake Butler.
Quote:
Much of this week's e-mail message is Siegel's recounting of what he says was a lifetime of hard work and sacrifice.

"Even to this day, every dime I earn goes back into this company," he wrote. "Over the past four years I have had to stop building my dream house, cut back on all of my expenses, and take my kids out of private schools simply to keep this company strong and to keep you employed…"

"So, when you make your decision to vote, ask yourself, which candidate understands the economics of business ownership and who doesn't? Whose policies will endanger your job? Answer those questions and you should know who might be the one capable of protecting and saving your job," he concluded.

The e-mail was forwarded anonymously to the Sentinel by someone who said, "I feel like my boss is threatening me."

Last edited by chopchop0; 10-10-2012 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 AM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
Good for him. Anyone who has a problem with this should try building their own company and employ 7,000 people. Can't do it? Then shut the hell up.

People love to hate wealthy people. Between personal and business taxes, this guy contributes more to the government in a week than most people will pay their entire life.

Last edited by idr591; 10-10-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
This should probably be in the P and OC forum along with the other news story about another Orlando company that is reducing its worforce to mainly part time in response to health care reform.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
A little brutally honest, but honest nonetheless. It's been a long time since we've had a president that's engendered such class warfare and animosity. This is the guy building the biggest residental house in the world
Full text of the letter here:

David Siegel and the billionaire’s sad lament | Jay Bookman

Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM

97 posts, read 228,875 times
Siegel is a perfect Orlando resident.

A. Surgically enhanced bleach blonde arm candy with the IQ of a turnip. Check.
B. Blowhard Republican that built the largest house in square footage in the US (near Windermere of course). Check.
C. Made his money in selling worthless timeshare scams. Check.

Orlando is proud to have David Siegel as a resident. His company is built on fantasy and fakery just like the theme parks.

Also like the theme parks, he pays minimum wage and offers no benefits. He's perfect.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Thanks for the full text link from the AJC which is a SAD excuse for journalism based on the story line they used for this article.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM

206 posts, read 414,840 times
While it's hard not to get into the political context of the story - let's back up for a second and call a spade a spade.

This is just a loser who is seizing the opportunity to tell thouands of minimum wage workers that he owns them.

If you can take a look at his house he's building and objectively say that the guy doesn't have a killer inferiority complex - well, good for you. But I think most would disagree.

I bet he sends out emails like this routinely - many not political - just to make sure some immigrant housekeepers know who their daddy is.

It's pretty pathetic when you think about it. I don't hate the 1% or 10% or any group for being rich. However, being in that top echelon doesn't protect you from being hated for being a jerk.

It's sad that the intense political climate right now can morph people's thoughts into actually applauding junk like this. Would you applaud me if I walked down the street to a bum and tapped him on the shoulder just to remind him where he fits into the grand scheme of things?

And, by the way, let's be honest - anyone that works at Westgate can go get a job somehere else if it comes down to it. Turnover is pretty crazy at those resorts as it is. And the guy isn't going to close a profit center either. So the only ones that would really have to worry are middle and upper-middle management who aren't directly producing revenue.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
It's pretty pathetic when you think about it. I don't hate the 1% or 10% or any group for being rich. However, being in that top echelon doesn't protect you from being hated for being a jerk.
If you read the entire email, nothing in there makes this guy a jerk. He is entitled to his opinion, and since he EMPLOYS these people, he has the right to share it with them. If they don't like it, they can start their own companies.

You say you have no hatred, yet it is clear in your post that you do. Read the entire email. It is spot on.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
It was a good move by him. Many people don't read a newspaper or watch the news much and forget elections matter and they need to vote for the guy that will help their company.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,152,939 times
This man inspired me to do the same with my employees. Threatening employees without threatening employees, what an inspirational man. No satire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando