Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM

35 posts, read 80,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I never hear back from companies or recruiters when I apply for jobs far away from home. And I can't afford to wait 3 years. I want to make this move now, while I'm 28 years old and still young. I would be miserable if I had to wait 3 years to get a job. By then, i wouldn't be interested in Orlando...who knows.

Do you have a friend or family with a local address you can use to see what kind of response you get from jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalSt View Post
Do you have a friend or family with a local address you can use to see what kind of response you get from jobs?
Why would I do that? It's dishonest and would fail a background check prior to being hired.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM

35 posts, read 80,552 times
I meant to stay with temporary to get a feel for the area before you make the big move. I am pretty sure staying with family/friends doesn't cause you to fail a background check. I don't consider it dishonest.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,385 times
you fergot to mention that CT people are snobby (thanks to suffield, stamford and greenwich area). I work in Conntecicut but live in Mass and will never move to connecticut due to the snobbiness of the majority of people there. for example, not to give my job away , but noone in the state can go a single hour with a power outage without whining on the phone about it.

I chimed in because if i had the chance to leave i would do it in a heartbeat, especially to orlando.
have felt this way for a while but Florida seems to not be going anywhere in the unemployment #'s so Ill stay put for now until things change, which probably never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Right now, the only two things preventing me from wanting to move to Orlando area are the lack of educated people and affluence. According to the Census bureau, only 8.9% of Orlando metro's population holds a graduate degree, compared to 10.3% for the national average. Here in metro Hartford that figure is 14.7%. Does this mean I will see a noticeable reduction in highly educated people? I'm an intellectual type of person and want to meet people that I can have intelligent conversations with.

Second, the area seems to lack affluence in general, which of course, means higher crime. Is the metro area really that unsafe? I mean, every area, including Hartford metro has bad areas that should be avoided.

Bottom line is that I want to live in a large metro area that has enough (not a lot) educated people, safety, warm weather and not overly hispanic or latino. Some of my CT friends are saying that Orlando is heinous.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Not to change the subject but I travel to orlando every april and October and have a good grip on weather patterns during these 2 months.
I was there a bit early this year, Last week of September and first week of october and this visit
the humidity was killer, and not normal for this time of the year , albeit i go more during the middle
of october but its close enough....

recalling those 2 weeks, was that abnormal humidity for that time and would those 2 weeks be a normal summer day in june-july-august for orlando? If so that would give me a better feel for how hot and humid it is in orlando smack in the middle of summer, a time i have never been.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm not sure how the weather is in AZ, but here in Florida I cannot take the humidity. Although I'm sure it doesn't even compare to the desert climate. Can't wait to be moving. Yes, things aren't any better here than they are in Phoenix in terms of unemployment and everything else.

I was just curious. You have to do what is best for yourself, good luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM

257 posts, read 824,303 times
I think you should come here first to explore before quitting your job. I think its pretty hard to find a job here but your back ground sounds promising to me (unlike mine) I love it here. I'm sure people above can tell you lots of negative things but I have been enjoying the last 4 months here. You may find that the cost of living is not as low as you think. That would be the one thing I realized after moving here. So I would research neighborhoods that are good and then compare the cost of living there w/ your expected salary.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 PM

The catch though is explaining in the resume that you are willing to relocate for the right fit but contradicting yourself on the cover/resume using a local address.
I dont think its a good idea to leave off the willingness to relocate as it states ahead of time your ambitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalSt View Post

Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
Maybe you could start working for a company up there that has a presence in Central Florida, and then maybe six months to a year down the road, request a transfer to Florida. It could take that long, or even longer to find a job in Central Florida anyway.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Well, I had the opportunity to speak with several other gay men around my age on the internet who live in/near Orlando. Virtually all of them did not recommend it as a good place to live, except maybe one guy. They said the gay community there is ridiculous, the people are rude and the unemployment is out of control. I've made similar threads like this about various cities, and most people recommend me moving to those various cities. However, for Orlando, people are overwhelmingly advising me AGAINST it lol. I mean wow....is it that bad of a place? On paper it seems like a good place to live, but actual residents almost always advise agasint it!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 AM

Well I think I'm going to fly down next week and visit the area before making the choice to move or not. Even though it will cost money, it could save a lot of trouble in the long term. Plus, I should visit my grandparents in Pinellas County, and my friend in Melbourne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando