Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Poverty "Run Rampant" in Orlando?
No, but jobs here do pay less than other mid-sized metros 14 50.00%
No, there's a nice equal balance of lower, middle and upper class people 4 14.29%
Yes it does, this city is full of druggies, single moms and lowlifes 7 25.00%
Yes, Orlando is NOTHING but minimum wage jobs, nobody in Orlando makes more than $8 an hour 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:21 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

I was talking with one of my customers about the city and where the city is headed. While I think Orlando is heading in the right direction economically, this person who I was discussing with disagreed saying that "Poverty runs rampant in this town, look at all the extended stay hotels on South OBT, West Colonial and on 192, look at all these people on food stamps and wic, look at all the jobs that pay $7.67 an hour to start..."

Does anybody else here that poverty "runs rampant" like this man put it? I don't believe so. I do believe that our percentage of those in poverty is higher than other places but certainly not a majority or running rampant by any means. We seem to have (in my opinion) an even balance of middle class and lower class people, with a pretty sizeable upper-middle class and upper class population

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I don't think it runs rampant but do think that jobs pay less than most mid-sized metros, as well as a cost of living that runs disproportionately higher for those in the lower to middle pay sectors.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
check out parts of the rustbelt states like pa oh and mi if you want see real poverty. Orlando has nothing on that, except for maybe bithlo

Last edited by chopchop0; 10-24-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
check out parts of the rustbelt states like pa oh and no if you want see real poverty. Orlando has nothing on that, except for maybe bithlo
I agree with you. Many people in PA are very poor. There literally is no work at all, at least where I came from. There are jobs here but many pay less than other metros. OTH, it depends on the position and the qualifications that you need. The pay for those jobs can be more. It just all depends. I think there is a mix of lower class, middle class and upper class as well. I see a lot of building going on again and that leads me to think that area is starting to better.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree with you. Many people in PA are very poor. There literally is no work at all, at least where I came from. There are jobs here but many pay less than other metros. OTH, it depends on the position and the qualifications that you need. The pay for those jobs can be more. It just all depends. I think there is a mix of lower class, middle class and upper class as well. I see a lot of building going on again and that leads me to think that area is starting to better.
Yup. NPR did a special recently on Reading, PA, which wins a sad national distinction. Parts of NY OH and MI are like this too, sadly

Cycle Of Poverty Hard To Break In Poorest U.S. City : NPR

Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Unfortunately pretty much all of the building going on is of convenience stores, gas stations and such which might mean more jobs, but certainly not the kind that's going to be a game-changer for Central Florida's way of life.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unfortunately pretty much all of the building going on is of convenience stores, gas stations and such which might mean more jobs, but certainly not the kind that's going to be a game-changer for Central Florida's way of life.
Yeah, ignore all that jazz near the airport

Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
I wonder what it is that makes pay scales lower here compared to other mid-size metros with similar COL's. Out in Las Vegas, pay for jobs is more than it is here, and the COL is slightly less than Orlando

Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I was talking with one of my customers about the city and where the city is headed. While I think Orlando is heading in the right direction economically, this person who I was discussing with disagreed saying that "Poverty runs rampant in this town, look at all the extended stay hotels on South OBT, West Colonial and on 192, look at all these people on food stamps and wic, look at all the jobs that pay $7.67 an hour to start..."

Does anybody else here that poverty "runs rampant" like this man put it? I don't believe so. I do believe that our percentage of those in poverty is higher than other places but certainly not a majority or running rampant by any means. We seem to have (in my opinion) an even balance of middle class and lower class people, with a pretty sizeable upper-middle class and upper class population

Thoughts?

Poverty is definitely higher than it used to be back before raods like John young were not even fully built haha. But it's definitely not a culture here. It's more of a "get paid a lower wage, have less money to solve more problems." vs. " Get paid a higher wage and have more money to solve less problems." Essentialy thats how I've started looking at it. Even too, Orlando you still see "Nice Ghettos" meaning up to the standard of lacking a complete ghetto definition but in ways still is considered below par for standards of living to the common Central Floridian.

And it's mostly minority here, although I'm not sure what race (if there even is) a minority anymore.
I know white people tend to stay to the east, Hispanics to the south and , Blacks to the west, but just driving around and the typical non racial person can't really put a finger clearly on what is minority here unless they visit often or pull stats. It really does just feel like "A City" to me.

The pay rate has a lot to do with the Hotels and Theme Parks . As we know they make an important part of Central Floridas Economy, tourist and monthly visitors do in general, but thats the thing. Our economic engines are not of traditional ways, so don't expect traditional pay rates and living styles. Doesnt scream extreme poverty to me.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah, ignore all that jazz near the airport
I said "pretty much" not "all". I do realize your role in this forum is of self-appointed cheerleader for Orlando and Central Florida but do try and comprehend before getting all overly emotional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: